Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

overland travel is just way to slow

Discussion in 'Release 18 Feedback' started by dorkish, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Look at the bright side, you can open your wallet and throw your money at the mounts stretch goal.

Ice Queen and Hazard like this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Thats really cool, I thought it would take longer...........what I will say though, it's funny how time seems to slow down when your really not having fun.

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

I also opened up Star Trek Online this morning just to see what the travel times were in that game. Using full warp, it took 2 min 48 sec to get from Earth to DS9; and using the quantum slipstream drive, which you don't get until late, 2 min sec. The farthest in the game it would take you to travel (I think) is about 3 x that amount; so about 8 min 24 sec or 6 min 0 sec. Of course, that's auto-piloted, though, there really isn't anything to do when you're traveling, which I don't expect to be the case in this game.

Beli likes this.
  4. Beli

Beli Avatar

Two minutes is ok to me, once it gets over 4 minutes I think that is a bit much, You can do a lot in four mintues in RL. :)

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, some modes of faster transportation are needed. Ships, Moon Gates, maybe even a recall spell. But the speed of travel is just about perfect right now in my opinion.

Siriustar likes this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And that includes traveling it at night?

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, I stumble around and have a hard time at night - but I like that. It gives night a purpose, and it's immerssive. Right now very little is immerssive because we're in a testing phase, but the impact of night can't be disregarded for casual play. It's much better this way in my opinion. I believe that when the game launches people should be mildly scared of going out at night because it's harder to see and you may end up somewhere fighting stuff you never planned to fight. I like the idea of average people either grouping before they go out at night, or maybe just hanging out in a tavern until night passes.

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Well, Baron, the "average people" that I venture about with in SotA - don't always have the time to spend waiting for the night to end on the Overworld Map so that travel is possible, in order to get together.
    The "average people" that I spend my time with in SotA - find the very dark nights on the Overworld Map as a hindrance, especially due to the length of these very dark nights.
    Not everyone has hours and hours to spend walking around at very slow speeds, enjoying something that only the future holds as either interesting or enjoyable....

So, once again, we disagree.
    Peace be to you, friend.

Moonshadow likes this.
  9. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

This is not the speed of the avatar that needs to be changed. This is the speed of the days/nights which is really too fast.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

One thing I've also suggested before is people being able to set up camp, which would in this case substitute for a tavern, let people do field crafting, and listen to bards. Your campfire would also be visible on the map to other players, based on selective multiplayer. While it could be done at any time -- and used to gather a party, or prepare for a raid with a party -- it would probably be common at night just because people tend to want to wait for the day when everything is easier to see. I'm going to do another post on that sometime soon, I've been working on something on that.

I actually don't think night is as bad as some people are saying if you stick to the roads that are well paved, since -- if you have a torch -- you can see far enough to see the bend in the road and follow it. Though there could be a lot of things that mitigate the problem of darkness, including lanterns which have a brighter or larger radius of light, or the Night Vision spell in the Moon Magic school. Others have suggested that towns and other scene locations be lit, but I suggested something a bit more realistic, in the Overland map feedback thread.

When night is going to impact people a lot more is when we get roving encounters and there'll be creatures in the shadows. I remember in the early Ultima games, night closed in your visibility very tight, monsters came out at night, and you could bump into monsters everywhere.

Moonshadow and Heradite like this.
  11. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

A question for those who are saying that overland map travel is to slow: How many points do you have in Dexterity?

Moonshadow likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh yea I forgot to consider when I calculated map times that I put a few extra points into Dex and have the light armor Swiftness skill, which increase the movement rate. But when I open Character Stats (V) and play around with skill changes, removing Dex doesn't change my Move Rate.

Removing Swiftness does, but only by 10%, from 1.1 to 1.0. So I guess you can add 10% to all the travel times I calculated, if that works out like that; though I'll do a few test runs of some routes just to make sure. With 10% added, the travel time between Ardoris to Vertas Pass increases from 4:16 to 4:42 , about 26 seconds more.

Moonshadow likes this.
  13. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

After wandering the entire land again last night, the speed doesn't seem too far off base to me at least, although I wouldn't mind if they'd up it one notch to R17 levels with coconuts equipped (until those horses eventually arrive). It wouldn't hurt to have the galloping animation and sound on the world map either. ;)

14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

this.

speed up the overland map
    let us attack on it like other scenes and make it a pve scene so you only get attacked if flagged for pvp (that way we can chase people who try to zone hop... ^.^ TOTALLY NEED THIS)
    let us use /walk like on other scenes for immersive purposes (during my questing in Vengeance I force people to walk slow in several parts ^.^)

I agree with Tazar that it should be elective and not forced... either way.

Beli and Tazar like this.
  15. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

these are some of the best ideas i've heard regarding ways to improve the enjoyment of the overland map, perhaps they deserve a thread of there own so that these great ideas arnt lost in a thread, so to speak.

dorkish likes this.
  16. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I actually think it's fast enough now. Traveling from one town to another is rather quick. . .any quicker and I don't think I'll feel as if I'm going on a Journey any more.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm planning another thread on camping! It's going to be a bit fancy, with illustrations and such.

I talked about some of the other stuff in the Overland map feedback thread. I cover a lot of things, like natural movement, navigating obstacles, etc.

Moonshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.