Player owned apartments

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Sigma476, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

LOL, true enough. :)

Sir Frank KC likes this.
  2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Minor correction here. I am against apartments. Just not willing to fight about it.

Edit - If a player builds an apartment building and rents out rooms, I am fine with that. If the devs build apartments, I'm against that.

3. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Oh I agree. But maybe some player would really enjoy that. I think most everyone already agrees and wants all houses to be non-instanced. I'm just throwing it out there that it could be an option for people who do want a private vault.

I would be very happy to have a small apartment on a thief character where I would stash my ill gotten gains, separately from the Lord home for when I RP a valiant knight...

4. Namodias

Namodias Avatar

it is very simple to understand how instanced housing devalues the housing set up they are designing for now.

the way they are designing it now is overland non instanced with rarity or scarcity meaning that not everyone will get a plot.

if you introduce instanced housing so that lots of people can now get a place to call home then it immediately makes the overland housing worth less than it was before the introduction of the instanced housing.

part of the worth of the housing is its rarity and when you take that away you loose value. they are not designing this housing system with instanced housing in mind so to ask them to introduce it would immediately devalue the planned for housing system. it's really very easy to understand and why I say it's a bad idea and hope they NEVER include instanced housing.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  5. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

But you still haven't explained how it actually devalues it. In real life does someone living in an apartment building across town make my house less valuable? No.

Let's say we had an instance full of apartments. That apartment gave you 4 hooks on the wall to display items, and one storage chest.

Now let's say a village level house gives you a location on the landscape that people can see without going into an instance, out in the open where people can see your vendor and not have to go looking for it, with 30 hooks on the walls to display items and 3 storage chests.

Look at those two descriptions and tell me which one is more valuable and which you would want more.

6. Namodias

Namodias Avatar

lol, wow, seriously?

it's obvious your just trolling me now. if you seriously can't understand what I have explained to you twice now just keep re-reading it you'll get it eventually. :/

7. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

You keep saying that apartments in an instanced apartment complex will devalue your house. That's all you say. You talk about rarity, but I just posted something that explained exactly why the rarity argument makes no sense but you ignored that part to pick out the one sentence at the beginning of my post. So obviously you're wanting to argue and not discuss. I was hoping you would actually respond to my post with your thoughts on my counter-argument, instead you want to argue about arguing. So fair enough, we disagree, and I leave it at that.

8. Sigma476

Sigma476 Avatar

"Please, stop this mindless violence. You may not be a man of god but surely you are a man of peace"

I agree that on-demand instanced housing would devalue the current system. But this system wouldn't be on demand, it would be regulated by the people. Specifically by the ones who would trade their house for a steady source of income. Not many would do this after obtaining a house, so I don't think it will devalue houses to the point where they are easily obtainable

The only reason instanced housing was talked about was that it would be less work for your processor when you walked into town.

9. Venusada

Venusada Avatar

I also think apartments would lower the value of home ownership. As for extra storage, more then likely there will be a bank that players can store items. If needed, maybe sell larger bank vaults. There will be more land opening up in the future which will probably contain more housing opportunities.

Namodias and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  10. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

Except that in your scenario a house might be a lemon, but an apartment would be a lemon wedge. If I really wanted a lemon then a lemon wedge might be a nice thing to have for a minute, but it wouldn't make we stop wanting the whole lemon. therefore the value of the lemon is unchanged.

11. Espada

Espada Avatar

Well... Assuming it works like UO... People will have access to banks.. And those who dont have houses will have a bank account to store their items. There... everyone has a place to store stuff... I see housing as a luxury not a need.. If one wants a house please either pledge enough money to help the game's development or play one's fair share of hours in game to get enough in game cash to afford one. And yes, instanced housing is terrible... Those who have experienced both systems know that instanced vs non instance is a no brainer...

12. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Oh wait now.. so now everyone gets access to banks? Doesn't that devalue everyone's houses!!?? We should not allow access to banks to anyone who doesn't already own a house, or the houses will be devalued, and that would be bad!!

For reals, I don't see why there couldn't be different levels of opportunity for people to increase what they call 'theirs'. . a small bank chest to start off, opportunity to buy or rent additional chests, and when enough wealth is accumulated, the ability to rent rooms in inns. (i don't care if it's instanced, if it's player owned, just as long at the opportunity is there), and in time, when enough money is saved, the ability to buy a small lot somewhere.

I think most of us were just thinking with the possibility of millions of people playing the game, instanced 'homes' would be more practical since no one wants to see houses filling up all the land in the world.

13. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

Exactly! I know that I am hoping this game is a huge success to blow away everything else. I want to see a huge community evolve. That can only happen if the game is designed to allow for expansion.

14. jonathancw

jonathancw Avatar

I personally think Apartment housing is a terrible idea. Earn your way to a house or pledge the appropriate level. Instance housing is and will take away from true housing which is part of its allure. Sigma, multiple people have said they do not want apartment housing in any form..

Personally - I do like the idea of renting a small room or maybe renting a "chest" in the house maybe on the deck or something that if the owner removed said rights to the chest - it would be available for pickup for a few weeks and if the owner doesn't claim - looses access to it and it goes to the owner of the dwelling.

Just my two cents.

15. Sigma476

Sigma476 Avatar

What is it with you people and instanced housing. I never once said anything about instanced housing or that the apartments would be instanced. It can work instanced or non-instanced.

And jonathan, how can you say that you are against the idea of apartments, but you are in favor of something that acts and functions like an apartment would.

16. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

They are responding to the idea I had where I expanded on your idea and talked about an apartment complex that was instanced so you could have a high number of players in very small, basic housing units without any bells and whistles but not have the load time lag you would have on people's computers when they first entered a town if all of that was on the landscape. I still have yet to figure out how having them in an instance would be a bad thing. I've seen the system in action and it worked great. But no, they don't think your idea was about instancing. :)

17. Sigma476

Sigma476 Avatar

@bcxanth
    Ok, that clears things up. I think the main reason they want housing to be non-instanced is that it allows them to show of to the plebeians whether they want to see it or not. After all the houses in this game are little more than a status symbol.

To solve this age old debate, what if the exterior of the houses was always drawn, but the internals were only drawn when you crossed the property line. They get to show off their hard work and you get the reduced drain on you rig.

Same thing with apartments, load the building exterior and the thresh hold when you walk by, if you go in load the rest of the common area and the thresh hold of the apartments on that level. A system like this would be the best of both worlds with little to no lag

bcxanth likes this.
  18. Sanctius

Sanctius Avatar

I think it could work having an instanced room/storage box for people who cannot yet afford a house. Players could rent a basic room from an inn for example with the ability to decorate the interior.

Now the value of a house comes from the location and activities you run by your house (vendors, crafting stations). Take these away from the instanced housing and the value won't decrease (at least so dramatically).

19. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

Limited housing in real life does make houses worth more. If a popular place to live has few houses the prices are high, when someone builds a lot of cheap houses/apartments, the demand (and therefore price) on the existing few houses will go down, this happens all the time.

EDIT: Other than that I agree with Sir Frank KC

20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Agreed. If there's a way for a player to make an apartment style house with multiple rooms - and then the option to rent out those rooms to multiple players for whatever kind of fee they decide on - so be it. Good idea. I don't want apartment style, dev created housing though.

Isaiah MGT470 and jonathancw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.