Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please remove reagents from merchants

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Birne Gilmore, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittik

Kittik Avatar

And if you remember, they sold out. Quickly. And buying them off player vendors was almost a god send because the NPC vendors were always sold out.

2. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Lol, yes i remember good, but we had faction vendors ect ... Anyway, if they implement an out of stock thingy on npc vendors, ppl will just reset the instance as they do now to reset the ressource nodes and respawn monsters....

3. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I was referring to ultima, not uo ;)

mbomber likes this.
  4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Which is why I said it should be per player, so its something persistent regardless of city, region, or instance.

5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Keep in mind that the NPC vendor already has a system where the price will go up as players buying out the inventory. The easier fix than removing everything altogether is to reduce the number of inventory before the price goes up. This will actually promote people to go out hunting for cheaper regs and resell it.

The game is supposed to be fun to play if we want to get away from the pay to win perception. Eve online has its own niche, but you gotta have hours and hours to go mining and run production to maintain the economy. SotA is an RPG game, we should be spending time interact with people and the world, not playing peasant trying to grow hundreds of plants.

If the new change for agriculture come in and make it more fun and make it worthwhile just double click to water the plants.. well.. things could change.

6. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Remove all weapons from NPC vendors while they are at it... so all other classes are dependent on farming mats to create their weapons to play the game. Take all those weapons and armor laying around the world out of the game or non pick-up-able... remove all weapon drops from creature loot as well.

If you take away casters weapons, you have to take away all classes weapons.

7. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Again, I also hope this does not happen. Reagents are the fuel to our weapons. Why should a pure class (mage in this case) have to pay a 'price for specialization'? I'm a mage, I don't use weapons other than spells... and the whole gathering thing? I'm sorry, but unless you have tons of time, I don't want to spend it farming my weapons before I go out or depend on others for the same thing. It's not that I wouldn't buy from vendors in bulk but if I need to refuel quick so I can get back to what I was doing, an NPC is always going to win out for me. Go gather your arrows or maybe scraps of metal that you have to use to repair your armor and then let's talk. I don't want to add tedium to this game. There's a line where we're just making certain basic things painful for no reason.

mbomber and EtherBunny like this.
  8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

No, No, No, I can't gather enough to satisfy my thirst for reagents... As an alchemist, I need massive amounts, so purchasing is the only recourse I have... I only have a Village lot, so I can only farm so many...

mbomber, Acred, Lord Baldrith and 4 others like this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

It is my firm belief that once an abundance of people get their harvesting skills up, then the NPC's will begin to be undercut by the best gatherer vendors.
    Give it another month and see where we are....
    The player economy will take over and Port can remove their reagent NPC's if they see fit to do so in terms of what's best for the lowest among us.....

EtherBunny and Rebelweasel like this.
  10. kazafk

kazafk Avatar

The idea of removing reagents imo would only work of we had other quick way of getting those.

As an example, im playing fire+death and a few extras (im using mostly reagent spells), and in about 4 hours grinding, im burning trough around 70-100 of every reagent...This means too, im spending around 70-80% of the gold i make from loot on new reagents, too. Now if players would sell those reagents, id need to search for hours to stock up on them, means less time to have fun.

I know i could change my build etc, but i wont, cause i like it as it is. Since im relying that heavy on reagents, i need a quick way to get them and absolutely dislike the idea to make their aquisition another huge time sink. There are timsinks already, but enjoyable ones. I always have to smile when i harvest a single nightshade somewhere, but burn trough tons of them aside.

mbomber likes this.
  11. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Ok, may be my wish was a bit to drastical/short minded. Of cause there need to be a balance to the system before a change could happen to the stock of the vendors. Methods to find a balance could be higher harvests/gathering methods, lower consumtion on spellcasting (so that there is still a high use on crafting, but way lesser when using them on spells) or other mentioned ideas above. Also to raise the prices/grows of the prices or lowering the stock of merchants instead of just take them out of them could solve the situation we have in the moment. I just think most if not all economy should lie in the hand of players and people should be encouraged to take action in it. Reagents are one of the few fields in the game where this is not the case.

And by the way: I also think that fuels should be also obtainable on other ways then just buying. Why not making coal out of wood or to be gathered when mining? Why not getting wax out of trees? ... But of cause all this need a process of evolving and balancing, so before begin to argue against it again (was a nice avalanche of posts here .... didn't expected that ^^) just let the economy shape over time and let the game be developed in this progress. It is just an idea to think about to make the game better ... without hitting some folks just for fun ;)

Tahru and Baalice like this.
  12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I wouldn't mind not being able to buy them from merchants if I had the slightest chance of foraging for them on my own. Black Pearl and serpent scales are a problem.

13. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

just add something to harvesting reagents plants (like cotton)...

Beetle Carapace
    and something else necessary to makesomething... like umhh.. Mandrake dew ... Garlic Rust .. etccc

this not change the fact that a "Beetle carapace" is not necessary to build anything on real world... and seems really just an unnecessary item...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  14. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

If there were more nodes for various reagents and drops for others were properly tuned...this could happen. Until then, keep it on the vendors.

mbomber, FrostII, Lazlo and 1 other person like this.
  15. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Also have to distinguish between mandrake root and reagents only used for spells. They are not the same thing. You'd probably need to have different reagents for spell casting than you do for alchemy.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Birne Gilmore likes this.
  16. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

So, figured I'd hop back into this thread again :D For the person who said that "Eve can do it, why can't we?" Eve also allows you to train your skills while not even playing the game; it's also taken them years to get to where they are at; and this is an RPG and would you really want to do this in Offline mode?:eek: For the person who said that "well I have 100 or so of each reagent in the bank.....", that's fantastic! How long did it take you to get 100 of each reagent? As stated a few posts up, black pearl and serpents scale are ridiculous to try and find. So again, how long did it take you to get those?o_O I gathered mine from the vendor, at a much faster rate I bet too.

Anyways, I will say, as much as I am not for removing reagents from vendors, there have been great suggestions for farming them; changes that can be made to it to make it easier/better. Maybe we could come to 50/50: increase amount in the world, decrease total quantity from vendor and don't refresh the 1000 count, leave the count at whatever it is after purchase for a set amount of time....maybe 1 hour? I don't know, spit-ballin here. That is something I could get behind; a little from each sides perspective.

mbomber and Birne Gilmore like this.
  17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

For reference, I can burn through 100 of each reg in about an hour or so of fighting (maybe not the garlic/serpentscales...) The rest yes. Gone.
    As I'm our guild's alchemist/enchanter, I have gone through over 5000 mandrake root in the last two days alone.
    I'm happy to pick it up off the ground, provided it can be obtained in sufficient quantities...like, if there was an endless field of it. Not running around an entire zone to find 2 plants that give you 3 each. Not reasonable.

mbomber, FrostII, Lazlo and 1 other person like this.
  18. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

No. Air spells and summons burn through reagents way too quickly. I already use 75% of my gold earned while adventuring on buying reagents. I don't want to spend all that time on harvesting plants instead. Especially since reagents are scene specific. Meaning I'd have to jump from scene to scene just to gather the 4 different reagent types to fuel my spells. Mages don't have an auto attack and the reagent free spells are pretty weak as well. I think mages already have it hard enough. Especially Air mages.

mbomber, FrostII and Baalice like this.
  19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

In Ultima reagents could be bought from merchants. I don't care how this was done in UO, I am speaking about the offline single player games as SotA should also consider the offline mode in everything.

Baalice and EtherBunny like this.
  20. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

Yea, Get em Darkmoon! Where's your player run economy in Offline mode?? Is it alright re-change the rules then to bring back reagent vendors?!?!
    [​IMG]

Birne Gilmore and Baalice like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.