Polearm needs more weapons

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Cryodacry, Sep 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

So it seems that Polearm is really lacking on the options for weapons. Just for some comparison.

Sword has:
    1h Dagger
    1h Short Sword
    1h Long Sword
    2h Sword

Blugeon has:
    1h Axe
    2h Axe
    1h Mace
    2h Mace

Ranged has:
    Short Bow
    Long Bow
    Cross Bow

Now you look at Polearm:
    1h Spear
    2h Halbred

There are skins of other Polearms but still they are all Halberd or Spears. Given the tradition of Pole arms they should probably both be 2h's .... it would also follow the identifiable differences in sword / blug / polearm.

Sword
    3x 1h
    1x 2h

Blug
    2x 1h
    2x 2h

Pole
    1x 1h
    3x 2h

It would be nice to add 2 more of any of the other options from this wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_weapon Personally i would like to see Pike to make the Reach innate worth while. Something with considerable range. Second i would say a Bardiche or Glave. You could even toss out the idea of using Bec De Corbin as an option. it is anouther traditional 2h blunt item that would follow the current Halberd animation.

Food for Thought !

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Pole arm which used to be such a quintessential weapon of the Ultimas really lives a sad existance in SotA.
    :(

It needs some major love.

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

There is a Lucerne Hammer, but its just a drop; a crafted version with that as a pattern would be great.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Chris mentioned that they're separating damage into different categories, like slash/pierce/etc. This should open up the way for new types of polearms.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Agreed, especially when you think their is such a varied amount of polearms out there to be used. My favorite polearm of them all being U7's "Death Scythe"! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Yes, all of these please! :)

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

this goes OT but they cannot even figure out how to make the base groups work and balance so how are they even going to imagine to spate them even further LMAO

Moiseyev Trueden and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

I don't think it would be that bad ..... Blug gets Slash / blunt ..... Sword gets Piercing / Slash .... Pole Arm gets all 3 1h piercing 2h peircing 2h blunt 2h slash .... i know i am dreaming right now with adding in the 2 extra polearms .... still really needs to be done.

9. Curt

Curt Avatar

3 kinds of pole-arms I would like to see

• Trident (one handed weapon that possible could let you fish even if has no fishing pole)
    • Scythe (two handed and would likely need different animations)
    • Quarter staff (two handed bludgeon pole arm)

10. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Sadly i don't think we'll get rid of the Halberd ... and asking for two more seems a tall enough order lol... I totally agree with you though. SO many pole arms to chose from. And there is no reason why we can't have Blunt / Peircing / Slashing in our tree.

11. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

yea but only Crafted items are viable in this game which i completely support. They just need to add the recipes to make this work.

12. RoStudios

RoStudios Avatar

I been using the 2 spears with poison approach.

Solazur and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

This is an evil graphic, btw, because its missing some, like the chauve-souris, while it sneeringly pretends to be comprehensive !

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Also I hope this means there will be a hook stat on polearms so some are better than hooking than others... then you can set slash/pierce/hook/etc on a staff to zero and make it a polearm ;)

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Until this happens there isn't much point of making any new craftables. Since all polearms will function the same way.

Just send them to me. ;)

Staves would really need a new skill.. Nearly all polearm skills right now assume the weapon has some sort of head on it capable of both hooking and piercing and while a staff can fight at range like any other polearm.. they are also quite well suited for use as a 2 ended bludgeon.

New Skill: Double-Ended weapons? :)

To further comment: There is a certain need to standardize the length range of polearms.. a pike as shown in the above example.. for example.. would have severe limitations in close quarters combat.. including situations underground or in dense wooded areas etc..

Numa, Solazur and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

it always bothered me that you could 'pull' with a spear..

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Spinning Attack, Leg Sweep, and Push would work ;) And a staff would benefit from Defensive Positions and Reach. If polearms could have all these blade stats and have them set to zero, you could make something of a staff with the Polearm skill tree... the primary problem would be that the way the skill tree is set up, you have to learn bladed skills to get to non-bladed skills. So Spinning Attack requires you learn Puncture first ! But maybe Chris can work out a way to branch this out and have a variety of functions on the Polearm skill tree which may or may not be useful to specific types of polearm weapons. He could possibly add a new skill to the tree specific to staff use, too.

I suggested a system like this and also a similar system for crossbows vs. bows and various types of blades, ie stilettos versus sickles at the extreme, in this thread here.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

But Puncture, Pull and Skewer wouldn't work at all.. that's far too much of a sacrifice. 1 skill you could argue.. but 3? You'd either have to completely rework the tree for staves or use a different skill tree to make them meaningful.

Polearms are further complicated by the fact the most can be used in different stances.. one at ranged and one close quarters. I suppose could split the tree into different segments for each rather than have two separate trees.. That would probably make more sense.. with more skills you can sacrifice more attack options based on the actual weapon you're using and possible depending on length or 1H vs 2H.

Numa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, although it depends on how you want to look at it... For instance, one option is to say that Polearms is a versatile tree that lets you switch between different types of weapons and this is a strength. Another is to say that a staff user could also specialize in forms of magic, or forms of unarmed combat (if they add these), tactics and subterfuge skills, and add this to his staff skill; rather than being forced to rely on the entire Polearm tree.

But reworking the Polearm tree a little and maybe adding skills also wouldn't be a bad idea.

20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Great observation. The chauve-souris too please. :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Solazur, Numa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.