Prob been brought up before but a Pure Crafter is Impossible :-(

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Weins201, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

AND if you have to gather then you have to do a lot of combat to kill the mobs protecting the gathering nodes. AND if you have to do combat then you have to level up basic combat skills. So you actually can't just do some gathering, you have to do combat and everything that goes with it.
    There should be crafter focused quests that don't require combat and give you producer XP.
    For example, "The captain of the city guards needs 10 daggers to arm his guards. He will pay 30 gold and 200 xp per dagger."

Phydra, KuBaTRiZeS and cartodude like this.
  2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Will I get XP for running a brothel? Or do I, illogically, have to grow cotton and kill skellies to boost my pimpin' skillz?

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There are.
    But regardless both adventure and crafting XP on all quests.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry But just the act of killing another player should NEVER get special exp. this will lead to exploits where players kill eachother over and over.

FrostII and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  5. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

Think of it as the Blacksmith spends his "spare time" fishing as a hobby. :)

6. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Maybe with diminishing returns or something where it flags if you've killed that specific player. That's really no different than farming mobs over and over either though.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Possibly6 with diminishing returns sure but, I still strongly feel that the reward for PvP is the fighting of another intelligent player and that is all you should get :-(

FrostII likes this.
  8. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

There would be other rewards or things they would lack versus PvE (like gold, materials, etc). I'm thinking along the lines of people in WoW (or even UO) who really just preferred to smack other players around to level and improve their characters :D

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

how about.....this?

so witht he job order system, lets have a questline with the crafting vendors/trainers, who ask you to make X number of Y items, and provide you with the ingredients, you turn them back into the quest givers and you get crafting XP in your pool, so when you make something on your own, you level up with it. - AND when you take on the next quest from the trainer/vendors you gain levels in the skills because you now have pooled xp too. - i think Rift did something like that, and it worked fairly well.

did you play skyrim? most people just crafted thousands of iron daggers to skill up, and then started making their armors for their characters. while i hated the monotony of that type of system, i understood why it was left open like that to be exploited if desired. as this is not an offline-only game, i see why they are trying to stop that exploit from becoming A Thing. see my offer above, it may be one way to assist.

something @RichardGarriott once said to me has stuck in my head about crafting. "It is all about the tool in your hand."
    crafting should give you XP. that tool - is just that; a tool to do what you want. different tool, same effect, as BDF killing zombies and skellingtons, he gets XP for it. why shouldn't us crafters also get that benefit, so we too can continue to do what we want to do?

Miracle Dragon, Phydra and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  10. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Yes, I did... but so what? :) What's to stop some swordsman from killing the same easy skeleton a million times? Why is that any different? I hate the monotony of any system but if a crafter wants to craft a 1000 hilts... let him... and give him the same xp each time just like the fighter does for getting xp for the same skeleton.

agra, Xandra7, Lord Baldrith and 2 others like this.
  11. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

my only concern with this would be powerleveling crafting so grandmastering something wouldn't acutally mean anything anymore, as there are 30,000 grandmasters on the server.

cartodude and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  12. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

I don't disagree, but first you figure they still have to buy the resources if they are just a crafter which means they have to sell what they make to make profit. So they can only go so fast based on income... plus the xp could be low... I just don't like the xp having diminishing returns and eventually 0. Again, nothing is stopping me becoming a GM swordsman by killing the same skeleton over and over. Anyone can powerlevel almost anything if they put their mind to it.... all you got to do if find that low level critter that you can kill over and over.

KuBaTRiZeS and ThurisazSheol like this.
  13. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

in their current system, with the diminishing returns (which i too dislike)...if you GM the skillset, then only specific items you craft will continue to give you xp - until they too diminish..once that happens, you earn 0 xp for everything you craft, and just keep losing your skill level..

so, would it need to be on a sliding scale based on your actual crafting skill level, so item X gets Y xp if you are journeyman? so when you go to master, Y xp turns into Z (lower) xp - instead of based on how many times you craft the item?

that is a scale i'd much prefer to have.

14. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

that's what all skills should do... as long as it does not go to 0xp...

ThurisazSheol and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  15. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

For a while you could restart this curve by using the 3 differently named crafting tools (regular, artisan and prosperity)

Then for wodden items you could restart the curve 3 more times when you switched from pine to maple.

I believe all that fun was fixed ;)

16. Lace

Lace Avatar

Having read the discussion I would most certainly not be in favor of a system where crafting lets say a sword 100 times begins to net me less xp gain in my pool and forces me to make lets say now axes, and then I gotta make pole arms etc just to gain skill and be a pure crafter. Now the suggestion to make x number of items to turn into a npc for xp gain at the end of the'quest' I would be okay with, but again the amount of materials to advance this way would be staggering. If the npc provides them, then you run into the problem someone else mentioned, about 10,000 gm whatever's because they grind out the quests with no risk.

While I would love to be a pure crafter, sometimes you just have to play the game. Go hunt, go gather and then craft. (or stop the wolves from guarding the cotton nodes grrrrrrr as I saw someone post once.) It still amazes me I can kill this wolves friend and he ignores me. As soon as I bend down to skin his friend, he races across the scene. Really? murder is okay, just don't touch that cotton or skin. LOL

17. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We fixed a bug with EXP gain in crafting (see patch notes for 374) so it should be better now.

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Can the average crafter/gatherer be self sufficient without having a storage area?

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  19. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy! Being able to smelt iron without XP dropping to 1 after the first 50 ingots of your smelting career.

Great question... thinking the weight limit will be the issue as a player with no house could keep huge piles of ingots and ore in their bank but if this person has a decent amount of ingots, their bank will get full. I guess they could "rent" a basement room to put a couple of chests down but would need a willing landlord.

KuBaTRiZeS and Miracle Dragon like this.
  20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It's something that isn't really discussed. I think it will be an issue for those who don't own property. They will be at a serious disadvantage from those that do. Perhaps rentable crafting crates in busy crafting areas?

Xandra7 and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.