PVP for the win starting in R8

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I think it's really clear that this is a rough version of anything PvP since the combat system isn't even in place. ANYTHING can be more harm than good when everybody is acting like creeps.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Maybe everybody who wants to give feedback on PvP should come watch the tournament Sunday during R8.

July 27th
    6:00pm UTC+1
    All fighters should show up at 5:30pm UTC+1 (9:30am PST)
    There will be a bit of fun with 2 jesters before it begins, very briefly.

That way you can see that even with very simple PvP, people will know how to have fun with it.

Bear Tavern Brawl I

Soleidad, Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Why Not a Finished Product? You Ask:oops:"
    First take your left foot and place it will in front of the other.... that is called "a step"... but it leads the way to "marching"... o_O
    Come On R8~!!! :D Then we can begin to "evolve"... what before we always expected to be "provided" as it is in most corporate ooze containing games...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    crossbowsoda Said;

PvP is coming back?!

We can actually work out its details before R46?!

(brushes the dust off of himself)

Hello again, New Britannia.. ;)

(picks his nose)
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~:rolleyes:
    "Welcome Back Indeed crossbowsoda!" :) You're Just in Time for the Really Good Arguments to Begin! ;)

I'm encouraging all the PvP Game's participants to insure that their Organ Donor Cards are all properly filled out beforehand as I'm sure that they and their battles will become the focus of much debate after the contests :D

5. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Wait, what?!? Has there been PvP before? To come back to? Did I miss something? I must have blinked...

Goodness gracious, let's hope so! But there aren't any guarantees; for all we know details might not get worked out until R107, or the second installment of the game, or the last installment, or - heavens forbid - never! *Cringe*

All we can do is put our hopes, trust and faith in Chris Spears and his Team Ninja and the community!
    *Sacrifices a cat for the Virtue of PvP*

crossbowsoda and Time Lord like this.
  6. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Back into the spotlight, I mean!

'Blink' is an understatement on this end...

(rubs the crust from his eyelids, having a taste) mm..

(shoves an open palm high as an affront to Devoid)

HALT, MOST BRUTISH PKERGRIEFERJERK!!!

HATH THINE KITTY CONSENTED TO THE...

EEEEEVVVVIIIILLLLSSSS...

OF TESTING THOU SINISTER PVP?!

(picks nose)

SPEAK, O BRAVEST KITTEN?!?!!11!?

(stares intently)
    (kitten mews)

HAVE AT THEE!!!!

(sacrificial maneuvering, and rather graceful at that)

KA-SACRIFICED!

Time Lord and Devoid like this.
  7. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

(sniffles, smiling stupidly)

Why, thank you, Time Lord! I've missed you all very much!

Yes, work caught up with me. It was 60-hour weeks here, 50-hour weeks there, working weekends all over, but I am finally back!

And, my fellows, I have returned to share the important message of practicing modesty, and practicing temperance.

You see, these two things are like vital organs to our --

(coughs up a hand wrapped in bacon, stuttering a bit)

I'm sorry! Time Lord, did you say organs?

(sweats profusely, drooling noticeably)

I assure you, New Britannia: I am an equal opportunist -- err, equal opportunity proponent!

There will be no organ donor cards necessary. If YOU wish to give your heart --

-- err, wish to give out of the kindness of your heart, I will certainly appreciate any of your future effigies --

any of your future offerings!

(sees the hand)

Whoops! Waste not, want not!

Idle hands, and such... well, you know!

(CHOMP!)

Time Lord and Devoid like this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Speed of combat... We will get the typical "two guys standing in front of each other waiting to get whacked over the head before being able to whack yourself"... I would very much prefer a very fast action combat system with dodging, blocking, dancing around each other. But the typical MMO guy doesn't want this and that is too bad...

9. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

yes but this is not ultima online .
    correct me if im wrong but did thy not state that PvP woud be completely voluntary.
    ps: the onlie thing i hope for is accualy that thy dont ballance PvP .
    i have seen so many good games get nerft and broken becous of patches to improve ballance between skills and abilitys used in PvP vs PvM.

the worst was in AO .
    thy nerft dmg output in pvp so you coud not instantkill ( max dmg you coud do in 1 hit was like 25-30% of thyr max hp)
    sollution of the player base was several pvp builds whith such a low hp that thyr health regen/buff setup was such that thy woud get back to full health faster then you woud be abel to kill them solo ( there was a hardcoded limit on howmany attacks you coud do a second ).

10. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

forget about that sorry.
    thy dont want to make a twitchy game where your conecction speed and hand/eye coordination will influence the outcome.
    instaid we will get a random luck factor trown into our game whith the card game.
    you will probeply see a lot of :
    if only skillcard XXX woud have popt up i so woud have won.
    he used skillcard XXX 8 times in 1 minute he is a cheater i never get that card more then 3 times in 1 minute no matter my setup.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You're making assumptions about a system no one's seen in use yet.

Also, to my point of view, not having every combat option available at every given moment is a perfectly reasonable thing to assume. Combat moves, and the selection of the appropriate ones are available to use at any given moment in a combat are dictated largely by external factors... Actions of the opponent, your own actions as an attacker defending against an action of an opponent, the position of your own feet, the positioning of the opponent's shield, whether your left or right side is close to a wall or other obstacle... I could go on listing factors that might make any given combat maneuver unavailable at any given moment during a combat. Combat, in reality, is not 100% predictable... You simply can't count on being in the proper configuration and attitude and have your opponent in the proper configuration or attitude to be able to make use of any move in your repertoire at any given moment.

So, to simulate this, you can either code for hundreds of environmental factors that might make each maneuver available or unavailable, or simplify and introduce a bit of randomness into the equation.

Combat is adaptation to the situation at hand. Those that can adapt best, making best us of the tools available to them in them moment should be the victors. I believe not having everything you can do 100% available on a perfectly predictable schedule is actually a better simulation.

Disclaimer: Lest anyone accuse me of commenting on PvP and how it should work, combat, and the systems used to support it, is not exclusive to PvP.

Time Lord, Kaisa and crossbowsoda like this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This is one of my concerns as well...balancing continously for pvp breaks a lot of games. Testing dungeons to see how they play and then change the characteristics of the players going through them unbalances the main game.

13. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

@Rufus D' Asperdi: The card system, as you describe it above (no one has seen it yet, as you point out), will also negate 'power builds' to some extent, because of the degree of unpredictability. That is a good thing. I'm waiting to see how PvP will actually work before I pass any judgement, but one can speculate that there are certain aspects that seemingly have advantages and disadvantages, or so it would seem.

Time Lord, crossbowsoda and Kaisa like this.
  14. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Being familiar with close quarters melee (three years), I can attest that that philosophy is true!

The greatest danger of combat is, by far, to become too comfortable with yourself.

I'm looking forward to this new system!

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Some time last year I argued for developing PvP first, then implementing PvE, just for that reason. It is a lot easier to tweak and balance PvE than PvP, so by having PvP as the main game, then one is in a better position to provide a balanced game than the other way around, at least to my reckoning.

Isaiah likes this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

To elaborate on that thought. Becoming too comfortable with yourself... Assuming the next opponent is just the average fight, and becoming complacent. The next opponent might be the toughest you've ever faced.

Yet we all get lax from time to time. We become relatively good at predicting the dificulty of most opponents. It is the one that you think is going to be a piece of cake, and turns out to be an Olympian, then you get behind early, and then you're in trouble.

Time Lord and crossbowsoda like this.
  17. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

interesting thoughts

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes... as the Red Viper found out. :)

Milo87, Time Lord and crossbowsoda like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Alexander the Great"... not so great on a very unlucky day... ;)
    It's all in the cards we are dealt in our life :D

20. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

How can i express my excitment about PvP coming in R8 the best.

Only one way occured to me. Good old Young Guns starting:

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.