PvPer Should Be Able to Opt Out of PvE

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Sir Tim, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

I was noticing how many "bears that care" PvEers (I guess the other word is rude? odd, its just a term) want to "opt out" of PvP, but still have access to all the areas of the map including PvP controled areas. This is absolutely ridiculous to me in a MMO, where the goal is to play with other players as content... but that is a story for another day.

I propose that if "bears that care" PvEers get to venture on the map with out PvP in SP (single player) and FP (Friends Play) then get to switch BACK on to the MMO mode... that PvPers should get to the same thing for their desired play. PvP'ers need to play in MMO to PvP, so it only make sense that if PvE'ers can play against the environment without players, then PvP'ers, should be able to play against other players with out worry about the environment.

I believe this is JUST as valid as the request by PvE'ers that dont want PvP. So there should be an option for PvPers to play with out PvE. There can be an option in MMO mode that PvPers can turn on. Then the environment monsters and NPCs will not attack them.

I think its a great idea. Oh and "I absolutely will NOT play this game if it is not available." There we go... I think I covered all the bases.

This game should be fair.

blaquerogue and Hillel Slovak like this.
  2. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

Though it hasn't been officially confirmed, I think it's safe to say arenas will exist in cities. And there you go, endless hours of pvp without the risk to encounter that group of ganker giant rats that jumps you out of nowhere. Oh, sole problem is since you don't like pve, you will probably have to stay "lvl1" forever (and before you say it, no you shouldn't be able to raise your skill against humans, or the whole "i'll whack my alt/friend in the comfort of my house to become 7x GM will come up again).

Glad I could help ;)

skinned and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  3. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

... and if the PvEers won't have access to any of the loot they could get via PvP, then the PvPers won't have access to any of the loot available via PvE. Great Idea!

skinned and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  4. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Was watiting for someone to say "arenas". Doesnt help. Cause its still unfair.

A PvE player can go into Single Player mode, or Friend Players mode. They have access to all those "arenas" and PvP Zones that PvP'ers have. BUT PvP'ers have no mode for them to be in PvP only. So my proposal solves this problem. If I can use the "slider" to disable me being targeted by Monsters, and NPCs(and vicely I couldnt target them) then we are talking about a fair balance.

So no... Arenas do not solve the problem. MMO mode must have a "No PvE" mode to be fair.
    Problem with that statement is that in SP I believe they can still go into PvP zones... then just switch over to MMO. Its one of the reason Im against being able to take your character betwen SP, FP, and MMO modes.

5. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

There isn't an "MMO" mode.

Koldar likes this.
  6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

There are many games where you can more or less level and gear yourself exclusivly through PvP. (And this is usually how I play.)I don't think that's going to happen hear as the team seems focused on delivering a specific story bundle...but I really have no idea.

My preference would be to not have gear or levels matter for stat purposes, so that anyone could do anything any time and the whole game could be compleatly non-linear. So you don't even think about opting out...just do what you want.

7. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Such a mode would have to disable all rewards guarded by NPCs, otherwise it would be exploited by PvE players to bypass NPC enemies and get rewards in "easy mode"; all such rewards would likely have to be shifted to PvP quests, preferably quests that require actual fighting instead of merely avoiding other players.

A way to allow players to progress purely in PvP, but avoiding the potential abuse from two players (or one player with two accounts) just whacking each other for easy skill gain, would also be required.

Apart from that, I'm all for an optional PvP-only experience.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Personally if I'm in PvP mode I want to be able to experience the WHOLE game. That's how I picture it. I wouldn't want to filter out the environment.

To me when I flag for PvP it should be openeing myself up to the world as it should be.

Tizon, Ara and Mordecai like this.
  9. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I beliefe truly that selective multiplayer has still not be understood from following many discussions. .

The majority only understood it as option to switch from single play to playing with friends to online mmo

But the more important part is always missed out.
    A limited amount of players you will be able to see
    The data is stored on our computers. We are the servers. It is a ongoing update system on our computers.

This means that lets say at the same time in the same spot of a city i might have 30 people visible who roleplay with me. But what i won't be knowing is that at the same spot i am standing Goblin King and insanemembrane are having a serious fight with 28 of the players that are visible for them.
    We wont need special areas because of all happening not on a main server but on our own computers acting as servers.

Devs help me. If i am correct please make a big sticky post explaining this again.

Archaaz, Umbrae and Beno Ledoux like this.
  10. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Are rewards in PvP areas disabled for players in SP and FP? If so, then yes, they should.
    I feel the same way on the "PvE Mode". I dont know why there are so many PvE'ers that dont want to experience the whole game. Players are a part of the game.

But, if we really want to talk about Anti-PvPers and the wild options they want... I want to make sure the PvPers get just as wild of options.

Yeah that part is confusing. The way I understood it from discussions is you can turn up and down how many people you want to see. So I thought, if you turn it up to a full MMO, then bingo.. you see everyone else that has it on full MMO. Would be horrible experience for me if I only saw certain people, but that there were others walking around me that I cant see.

I sign on to online games to play with others... so this whole "differnet levels of participation thing" is silly to me. I can understand Single player, nad Friends only mode... but if I want to RP with everyone(not in the earlier mentioned 2 modes), I would like to do that.

11. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

But i think that is how it will be. If so it will be Ok for me. Because ingame you do not notice.

I would see it the following. Did i bother what happend on other servers at old fashioned mmo? No.

Same here

The wont be walking on the same map. It will be a copy if it. I think

12. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Things that are supposed to be "protected" by other PvP players will likely be either removed, or else gain NPC "protectors", when the player isn't available for PvP.

Similar to how I said rewards that are guarded by NPCs need to be either removed, or else turned into mission rewards, so players actually have to fight for those rewards.

For many, other players that don't attempt to attack them are a part of the game, but other players that do attack them without consent or a way to opt out are a barrier that prevents them from enjoying the game. Not everyone enjoys being engaged in PvP.

And then you have the strange ones like me, that love fully consensual PvP while deeply hating non-consensual PvP.

13. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Ok, I see where you're coming from, but this is not an MMO, and everybody should have access to the content.

THE goal is not to play with other players. YOUR goal is to play with other players. And when you say with other players, what you really mean is against other players, correct? Role Players play with other players, but most of the time (not always) it's cooperative play, rather than competitive.

This game is a story, and my goal is to play the story. The ability to selectively add other players is secondary.

So, the game needs arenas or battle grounds.

Nah. You don't believe that. You're just trying to support your view using reverse logic.

If there is such thing as a PvP/PvE switch/slider, you'll get the competitive play you want without being annoyed by PvE folks.

Arkhan, Koldar, Phredicon and 2 others like this.
  14. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Yes, the PvE players will have "access" to the arenas. Big, empty areas to wander around in. Like starting a multiplayer vs game of Halo, with nobody else in the room to touch the other controllers. You can wander around the map. Grats. WITH FO mode on, you and your friend can go into the arena, and fight. Aaaaand, that's about it. It is otherwise a big, boring dustbowl.

As for going into PvP zones in single player mode, yes, anyone can do this. I don't see how anyone would CARE though. So they wander through the PvP zone in single player mode. Guess what, I'll bet you a shiney quarter that the dev team at Portalarium has discussed the problems that could be made from this, and implimented simple solutions. As my random suggestion off the top of my head, how about, 'That rare resource node that everyone in the PvP zone is there to fight over? It doesn't show up unless you are in OPEN PvP Online. And you cannot switch play modes within 5oo feet of it.' Boom, exploits solved, the PvE players from hell that you seem so worried about will continue to not actually care about the entire zone, or anything in it, but can wander through it safely if they choose (without monetary benefit), and the PvP battle intended for that zone will continue as intended.

Um, yes. The primary rewards discussed for PvP zones are loot from other players that you've killed. No other players = no bodies to loot.

Some of us, myself included, had SUGGESTED resource nodes and other types of zone specific goodies to make the riskier PvP areas more worth entering, but I don't remember seeing a single official Portalarium post saying that these extra riches will exist.

15. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

For the most part, I like to think I shead some light on the the non-reality that 'anti-PvPers'. If anyone wants to understand the direction RG is pushing for... you can view is here: Richard Garriot Discussing PvP

I'm happy with his direction for PvP as outlined in this video.
    I happen to call them Anti-PvP'ers becasue I consider myself a PvE'er. However when I play MMOs, I recongize the other players are RPing too... and not all of them are good. For the most part some of the people that are being called a PvE'er are just against people Role Playing their characters how they developed them. And that is really just Anti-PvP... which makes me ask... why are they in a MMO?... stay in Single Player(SP), or Freindly Play(FP) modes at that point.

Currently, happy with what LB described. But if Anti-PvP'ers want to get crazy... they could at least see how it looks from the other side.

16. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

Other games have managed to have the PVP/PVE slider incorporated into them without issue, same can go for SOTA. I do think that if there will be different "Shards" to play on like in UO, then there should be a PVP Shard where people can kill who they want when they want because it was agreed that you knew the risks when you joined the shard. Then for other shard there could be the slider option. It can be easily encoded so that the slider bar is not affected by NPC's so that PVP game features involving NPCs can still be played fairly.

I agree that it is highly doable, but would really push for a PVP shard to play on for people who want that realism in the game where they can literally do anything they want but with consequences. Such a consequence could be the red status from UO which I hope is brought back, where if you kill enough blue characters you will go red and can be attacked by anyone until you meet criteria to remove the negative status.

17. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

@57:30: RG says that there will be no "cards", and that everything will be in "real time" (but that they're drawing ideas from the strategies of "deck builder games"). I had faith that they could make a card game work, but nonetheless this is great to hear.

All quotes from RG in SotA Roundtable.

18. Ara

Ara Avatar

Of course, anything else would be a complete gamebreaker.

19. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

A lot can change in five months.

Phredicon likes this.
  20. stile

stile Avatar

A lot can be said for the last bit.. It wasn't just whack your friends.. It was whack people you met, you where helping, new guild members, members of other guilds.. And while whacking away opportunity to converse, get to learn things about the game from each other, pay it forward, get to know someone, recruit for you guild because of it, and sometimes make a really solid friend connection u may not have otherwise gotten the opportunity for.

Dont get me wrong, it was out of control.. But having something beneficial like that gives opportunity for social discourse you may find it hard in most other situations to have.

Those sort of friendships being formed kept me and other people in UO a lot longer then we might otherwise have, adding longer success to the game.

again, not disagreeing with you completely.. LOL, as it WAS bad, but a lit of good also.

So the trick is to find a way to have things that create those social situations without the bad. Perhaps you only get xp from other players up to a certain point, making it helpful to get someone new a little bit of a start, get to know them, and then being in a better situation to go get bigger XP.. Thats NOT a well thought out idea, just off top of my head.. But to gave a benefit of some type, in player to player sparring can bring in years of benefits from a few hours of whacking each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.