Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Quick FAQ on the new targeting stuff.

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Chris, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

I wish everyone I knew liked this system... but all my friends quit because of the changes. I just hope it holds together long enough for me to try and recover some of my money when I sell my account.. if anyone will still buy.

2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think the reticle is making people think they have to put it right on top of a target to shoot at it. And alot dont seem to notice the red highlight that indicates what they are about to hit

3. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Too bad that this doesn`t really work as intended.
    Very often i hit completly different targets way off (even corpses with some spells), no matter what is currently red higlighted.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yes, on top of that issue, apparently folks find the reticle and highlighting confusing or unnoticeable

5. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

I just like how when I have something next to me and shoot a fire arrow it hits a target off in the distance like a rabbit or doe instead of the hostile target near me.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, now just imagine when naked PvP guy runs in front of you, you shoot him instead of your intended target and then his buddies gank you.

Kara Brae likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

that's what you get for trying to attack a person and murder him in cold blood. No need to change that

Fister Magee likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Hopefully other people get the implications of a targeting system that decides for you....

FrostII and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  9. Borg

Borg Avatar

When you are playing in 3rd person view that is actually the case, when fighting a wolf for example you have to raise the camera in order to get a valid target if the target is close to you. Maybe this reticle thing works well when playing in 1st person view but its horrible in 3rd person view. Even more, if you target something and you just turn view around but your character is still facing the target you loose your target. As people mentioned in this thread it would be good implementing a lock target hot key.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    FrostII likes this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

In the future, the location of your reticle will be customizable i think.

11. Beli

Beli Avatar

Release 29 instructions..

Avatars who have not enabled open PvP may still initiate attacks against open PvP Avatars. This requires deliberately attacking an open PvP Avatar. Doing so forfeits the Oracle’s protection until you leave the scene, allowing any other Avatar to attack and slay you and claim your ransom. Note that using healing (or other beneficial glyphs) on open PvP avatars in your party will also flag you for open PvP for the duration of the scene.

EMPstrike likes this.
  12. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

As I wrote before, I'm finding the new targeting system very useful when I've to switch from ranged (magery) to melee fighting: in melee is very nice to have and I hope, whatever modification devs will do, this mode will be preserved.
    But...
    ...as I'm mostly a ranged fighter (have I ever mentioned "mage" before? :rolleyes:), I hope they give us the (old) "tested" system back as well: both systems can work togeter to achieve the best way to fight, IMHO.

P.S.
    I usually (99,9periodic%) fight in 3rd person view... I'll try to see what changes with 1st person.
    I kept 3rd person, looking at Chris' video, didn't understood in 1st person something changed (btw: I never saw the "reticle", and some times only I can see my targets becoming reddish)

13. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

there is a pop up asking you whether or not you wish to flag, so imagine clicking no and laughing at the stupid naked guy getting killed by all the spiders.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

OK, cool. I didn't know that there was a popup.

I still hate the new targeting though.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Soooo..... Before, we had the choice to tab target or mouse click target. But now because tab target appears to be hard for some people, we get this broken system of mouse aim and hope for your target...... explain to me how mouse click targeting where you definitely hit what you click is any worse than mouse aim targeting which also requires clicking (or pressing T) either to initially start auto attacks, to charge attacks, or to cast spells but may or may not hit your target? Did I mention auto-attacks are even harder to hit your intended target? The nostalgic feeling I had when playing before is gone with this new targeting system. "UO2 in spirit" is dead.... RIP. Oh how far our aim has strayed from the intended goal, much like with the new targeting system. New doesn't necessarily mean better. There's a reason UO is still surviving all these years later, even with a subs model, even after being taken over by the evil blood sucking EA. EVEN EA COULDN'T KILL UO.

In the old UO days it was all mouse click targeting, tab targeting wasn't even an option unless you set key bindings to target closest or target next. My 2 mains were a Macer/Archer and a Mage and I managed just fine on both. At least UO had the set last target and queue last target option so you knew where your next attack would go even if you had trouble tracking them on the screen...... so yeah that's what it's come to. I'd be happier with the classic UO targeting and keybinding system that's almost 20 years old now then the new system here. At least I could see a darn health bar.

I keep praying I'll see some kind of official update on the main page, an apology, a DETAILED plan of action, dual system implementation so we can choose, something to convince me to keep playing. So far all I've seen is. "Stop whining, this is the new direction. Deal with it. We're 'thinking' of ways to improve it. We know it's broken and we're looking into it but we're not considering ideas or demands of our backers as alternatives at all and are just going to keep ramming this idea through until everyones either happy with it or leaves." Whether or not we're being heard is irrelevant when we don't FEEL like you're LISTENING, at least not with any intention to act on what we say. Give us something!

Note: I admit for melee the new system is pretty sweet. This is likely why there's so much demand to just use both systems and let us pick - I am a supporter of this idea whole heatedly. I have tested the game for a long time with the old system, loved the old system, and upgraded my pledge level because I loved the feel of the game........ Only one word describes how I feel under the tyranny of the new system - REGRET

16. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

Extremely well told, runicpaine, all the pleasure I had, even testing an early released game, which is obviously not "perfect" but was giving me the feeling of the old (but good) UO is gone, with this new system. :(
    Was thinking to upgrade my pledge a little but, after reading we "have to deal" with the new system, I didn't... and I felt myself like I've been robbed. I thought that, yes, they grabbed my money, but for the future they'll "have to deal" with the fact they won't grab more, from me (and, I think, even negative image return of bad advertising should count something).

A game, nowadays, goes where it's community goes: making the community, at least a part of it, unconfortable and sad should be avoided: I think it's fair to experiment, while developing, and if the devs told "it's an experiment: try it, give us a feedback, tell us if we can go with it" I had nothing to say... but "having to deal" with something, when I pledged something completely different... no, I'm sorry, you took my money, but it's enough.
    And not that only: you, devs, stole my pleasure, and this after I paid you... that's unfair, at least. I was sooooo very happy to be able to "play UO again"... at least the same way I've been so sad when UO X have been killed by ECA, time ago (was waiting it since years ad I don't like 2D more).

I repeat, again and again, I think this new system is good-for-melee: when I use it with my swords is far better than having to click-select or tab-select, as my enemy is in front of me, or coming to me (maybe you can think to acquire it as a target even if he hits me from behind, just to say).
    But going melee is the "last resource" for a mage, and I'm mainly a mage, a caster... this new system is good-for-melee and terrible-for-casters: I'm having really NO fun with it (and, reading the forum, it's not only me).
    So, if both systems will be made available, giving us a keybind for switching between the two, the choice of the one we prefer, to use when we prefer, ok, I'll have back the good feeling and the fun. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but you lost me and gained a very bad advertising to my friends (I was trying to make at least two to come here but now I'm waiting, to see what it will happen).

You are expert devs, so you must know there is NO WAY to have a system which is good for melee AND for ranged fighters, as there is no way to have something which is good for a jetfighters' pilot which is good the same for a submarine's one: it's something about two completely different, most of the times opposite, ways to fight. Plus... there is NO reason why a caster have to directly point to his target, even after having it acquired as a target (but it's the same if you consider an arc): a mage work with his mind, not with his eyes: the system is perfect for a warrior (as a matter of fact the most part of satisfied ones, here, are warriors, melee fighters).

So, at last, I'm not saying you did wrong, at least for melee: it have been absolutely fair to have freed them from the burden of having to click/tab-select their targets, which was right in front of them. I'm only saying you shouldn't do that creating great problems to ranged fighters, that's all: you can't fix something creating, at the same time, big problems to something other which was working perfectly. That's not "a solution" but "moving the problem from one side to the other".
    "A solution" should be to give us the ability to choose which system to use, dynamically, as we're casters AND melee (for need).

Now you've not to redo all: the old system is even well known and still present, the new system is here too (maybe to fix something here and there, but you created it). Just end the work, now: insert the keybinding, let us to bind it to a viable key, let us to test this "double system" and give some feedback: I think we should be able to squeeze out the best from both of them.

And make us feeling you're listening to your community.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Gravidy and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  17. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Unfortunately, the only community they appear to be listening to is the hybrid melee/mage with a heavy PvP focus it seems. The rest of us are screwed. We still have yet to get the much promised cover system in place. Mobs can still target us through walls and out of line of sight, but now we can't even shoot the ones we are directly aiming at with any level of consistency. So burnt out with recent design choices right before permanence.

Wintermute of CoF likes this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

a fix for this is in the works.

19. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

A fix for this has been in the works for the last 18 months.

Ice Queen likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

a fix is int he works for ranged targeting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.