1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Quick R26 update!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Does a speed hack mean exploiting an error or bug, or does it mean extra program/macro hack?
    Just curious. It is like when people use drug lingo... I have no clue unless someone explains.

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

That would be fairly easy to accomplish; remove guild and friends affiliation and have a flag to only connect with other violators. Essentially a server-managed friends list.

Sara Dreygon and Miracle Dragon like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This is why I am the World's Worst Software Tester. It would never even occur to me to try and duplicate a quest reward and turn it in multiple times.
    I also don't understand the motivation behind hacking the game to cheat... I don't even install mods... I'd rather play games as designed by the creators... That's what I paid for.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Dear @Chris,

Just want to clarify, are we allowed to play an online single player mode to focus on leveling up (less lag) if we play legitimately without speed hack?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's perhaps the greatest idea I've ever heard. Except I don't really want those people having access to the servers. The spirit of the idea is great though. Especially if we didn't tell them that's what was happening and just let them figure it out by themselves. "Hey, this Shroud of the Avatar game is full of nothing but cheaters!" lol

6. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Dark Souls 2 does that - people who are "soft banned" are moved to a multiplayer pool that only contains other soft banned players. It isn't perfect though - some people still hack anyway.

7. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yeah, I took a second take on that one as well. I would say Chris just worded it badly.

I play almost exclusively in FPO mode (and know others who play exclusively in SPO mode), so they better not have an issue with us leveling up in that manner. :)

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Someone has to find the exploitable stuff. I'm not for perma banning or banning testers and our community guys for finding exploits. We are able to break things right now and find broken things. It's not something to get crazy about, yay we discovered an exploit. It's ok to brainstorm what to do to exploiters for later. Some crazy decisions to stifle the community do not need to happen in this case.

Sheamus McGuinness and royalsexy like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

If you're testing and you find an exploit, you will make a bug report. You won't continue to test that exploit for days. :)

The difference between an exploiter and a tester is that the tester reports the problem and stops abusing it. The exploiter continues to use the exploit for their own gain.

10. Birko

Birko Avatar

I found an exploit and reported it.
    A simple "thank you" would have been nice, but instead the silence is screaming louder.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It is still not game time. I don't think we need to be so harsh. This is our community. True I see your point just not atm do I agree to banning the community. I'm sure everyone gets that no cheating even in development is tolerated now. We are in development only, all cash gets wiped anyway. So imo the warning is out now.

Montaigne likes this.
  12. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

What a clever idea, I'm in the camp of encouraging this kind of behaviour FOR NOW, I wish my mind worked like that sometimes. Obviously abuse of systems needs to be punished but that's just creative thinking right there!

EDIT: And obviously after you've determined it's possible to do something that you shouldn't, you should report it.

CrazyPhil likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Thank you.

4EverLost likes this.
  14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

The Dark Side beckons..... always

15. Drocis the Devious

I think that's exactly what this post is about, majoria70. The warning is out now, so no more.

But for those doing it, was it bettering the game? Not if they weren't filing bug reports. Was it devaluing the feedback? I had a lot of people telling me how easy it was to level (and who knows what that was about). So I'm looking at the future, I'm not trying to start a witch hunt. I'm glad we finally got to a point where we're all on the same page about what's expected going forward.

16. Drocis the Devious

:) It was reported that at least someone reached level 112 and made over 3 million in gold from this.

17. Gnick Gnack

Gnick Gnack Avatar

We are suppose to test not abuse

18. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

BTW, if you want to quietly report something and be sure it is seen, just message me in the forums.

Correct, leveling up in SPO is fine. Speed hacking to level up faster and then playing in SPO so no one sees you is the issue. :p

Atogrim, Leelu, CrazyPhil and 8 others like this.
  19. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Thanks for the clarification

20. Birko

Birko Avatar

Thanks Chris. I messaged another dev, who I think may have been inundated at the time.
    The exploit has since been fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.