Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R33 is just TOO much nerf

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by jutman, Aug 25, 2016.

?

Would you recommend this game to anyone after R33? as apposed to before R33

1. No

39.5%
  2. yes

60.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Except that logins for the store/forums have been disabled all day, so this is only a sample of people who were already logged in. Not to mention the people who are still at work or too busy actually playing the game to care about 8-legged win buttons getting nerfed.

2. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I would be interested in seeing a Shadowbane skill tree - I looked around a bit and didn't find anything with a nice overview other than there were about 47 disciplines which I bet were yin and yang to each other as well as re-skinned powers.

However, pointing out that there was another game that had more complexity does not negate that this is a complex system with many possibilities yet to be discovered and (people will feel) need "balancing". I pointed out the pet issue back in R20 and earlier. I was told that it was this way to ensure tamers would have a viable product. Well, we see how important that was once it was a major data spike point - *poof* an entire economy laid to waste in one update.

There is a major ROI loss in skills here as well. I agree that the deck feature should help to keep GM all players somewhat restrained.

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah that's a totally valid statistic you have there...

4. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

The economy changes need time to better sink in to truly understand their impact. Long term it does not matter... all that will happen is price for items will reflect the scarcity of gold. Short term there has been a MAJOR dislocation in the economy with some players/guilds finding themselves in the enviable position of having horded gold instead of resources (alas I horded resources).

What the developers MUST do now is to make certain they stabilize the economy and not allow a new gold flood to occur "IF" the current gold tightening was intended to its current extreme level.

The changes are neither good nor bad, however instability is DEATH.

5. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I'm loving the nerfs. Game has been way way too easy imo. Especially for tamers.

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I am sorry but the people that expected that the one-spider-to-rule-them-all thing would go on.... No words.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    danjacobsmith, Elwyn and Jordizzle like this.
  7. Inevitability

Inevitability Avatar

Love the new taming changes... I think its funny how people level up taming because it was OVER THE TOP OVERPOWERED to give them a huge advantage in leveling. Be happy you got 1 month with a pet that did all the work for you..

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I've been smart enough to avoid picking skills that have been known to be OP and ready for the nurf bat for some time. Im a blunt guy... there is no place but up in that skill tree right now.

Spinok and The Hendoman like this.
  9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

To be honest, I don't think R33 is the total catastrophe that is being portrayed.
    Sure, there were nerfs. A lot of them not mentioned in the notes. As I've played this evening I've discovered these nerfs but there are some good things too.

Yes, loot tables were affected. Yes, making money by killing things is a near impossibility if you play a class that requires reagents to fight. I made a net loss all night killing things.
    This means that instead of giving all of the suet and beetles and other commodities that I pick up to guildmates, I'll have to sell these in order to afford to keep being a mage. It just means I'll probably have to rethink my build a bit, choose my spells a bit more carefully and probably get myself a melee weapon since focus costs are *still* a problem this release. Ok, no big deal, I'm adaptable, its frustrating but its not gamebreaking.

The good news is, loot tables were affected. We're starting to see mobs begin to drop level appropriate loot. Not completely, but its a start. This gives me hope for a true "risk vs. reward" system in the future, where elite skeletons are not dropping the same rusty sword as the skeletons in soltown catacombs.

The 'blacksmith' nerf to be honest, I think was needed. It was funneling players to specific towns specifically to get paid more and this was affecting the regional economy; Why would I come to your PoT or to the closest town to sell my loot (and maybe buy something from a local vendor while I'm there?) if I can get double if I haul it all to one of the key cities that had such a blacksmith. He still does pay more, btw. Ezb in Etceter offered me 42 gold for a satyr axe I picked up, whereas the barkeep across the road only offerd me 35. But its not enough of a bonus anymore to walk halfway across the world to get it. Honestly I think we could remove the mechanic completely and have consistent npc buy pricing and it would be better all round.

And yes, Etceter Easymode Mines now has mobs in it. I'm glad they chose to do this rather than lowering the amount of ore available. Though the invincible slimes could probably be looked at.

The chain lightning reagent cost increase hurt mages who were already struggling for focus and reagent money, but the spell seems to be working how it used to be (actually damaging things that you weren't already engaged in combat with instead of 0 0 0) so if that's the trade off I'll take it. Even though this means sometimes you pull way more than you intended, I like the 'wild magic' feel.

Ore spawn rates have been back up to reasonable rates across the board, for which I'm very grateful.

One thing that I think has happened though can't confirm (anyone?) is that the gold coin drops from monsters seemed to have been buffed a bit. Not enough to compensate for the loot downgrades but a bit, I'm seeing 15-20 gold more often than the 5-6 of before, though this may just be confirmation bias on my part or be what I was fighting in particular. Though the Lich Mage in hilt still only dropped 8 gold even though he's been buffed and hits quite a bit harder now! On average though, it does seem to be better. I've noticed a few other things - fire elementals dropping sulfurous ash which helps offset reagent costs etc.

So yes, the first hour I played tonight I was furious but as I played on and noticed the little tweaks here and there I calmed down a bit. I am starting to see the shape the game will take in the future and when I can understand why a change was done, even if I don't agree with it, I can at least respect it, and have faith that the Devs want to make a long term sustainable game world and economy and that this system will have to happen gradually. The things that are weak and crap right now will, hopefully, be attended to. My only real concern at the moment is mage viability due to reg cost but if that means I have to use a melee weapon for a few months to offset the expense (you know, whack something in the head when its almost dead instead of casting another expensive spell at it), then I can do that.

margaritte likes this.
  10. Gix

Gix Avatar

I couldn't recommend the game before and, while R33 has improvements, the game's gonna need to do better than that to make it something I'd recommend.

It's not even a hard decision; it's just not there yet.

helm and Ice Queen like this.
  11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well for me it is a very good change of pace. I think Port finally sees that a major correction is in order for the longevity of the game. I feared in the past that they would not see this and would just cater to the MMO instant gratification crowd. Truly I am happy for all the changes that they are doing. One fault I do think Port has is giving the easy path to early, and then having to take it away. Its really hard to change someone who is spoiled or used to a system that is easy. I feel for them but really this was never the intended state for launch.

Ellrynn and Tahru like this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

As long as I can collect your corpse trophies and make a good stew out of them I am happy. All the rest is nonsense! I got my bow and my cooking pot. Who cares about all the other trivial stuff. A lich needs his foooooood. Muhahahah

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

To be honest about recommendations, I tend not to want to. This game is not anything close to what any of my friends would like. In addition if they posted what they would like they would be chased out of the forums by the status quo. So no, I will not recommend this to my friends right now.

14. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

Maybe they are trying to avoid what happened to UO taming after EA took over. Sad Sad :mad:

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

I hear ya; I personally got too stubborn to leave...

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  16. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Everyone that plays this game should keep an open mind. I mean this is release 33 and we have imo a pretty decent game. Needs work no doubt but just imagine what the game will be like at release 66.

Spinok likes this.
  17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The blacksmith in Central Brittany was paying me 100% of value on Nickel and Tungsten, which I was unable to sell on my vendor at 100% of value (tin sells at over 100%, so it's not just traffic). I would have sold them to any NPC, but he gave me more. So I checked yesterday and he is now giving ~62% of value, which is still better than other NPCs. So it seems the devs still believe in the principle of NPCs that pay more for relevant items. Just not as much more.

Did they increase the number of reagents required? You know that NPC vendors who sell reagents have demand pricing that will cause them to raise prices on popular items, right? (Chris mentioned a case where people were willingly paying 14x on Curing Salts!) The answer is go to a different town and stock up. (That could get interesting as the game fills up.)

18. Camouflage

Camouflage Avatar

Sorry Jutman, not pointing any fingers at your, its just using your post as you have summed up this hold thread in your one post.

I will attest
    I will NOT be
    I was before this patch totally nerfed
    I spent putting into this game
    I would not refer
    I knew to this game to play either after R33.
    I actually was advocating
    I have found so far
    I do desire to see
    I can honestly say
    I have found so far
    I am going to go one
    I wish
    I had a cute emote
    I don't
    I'm sure someone

Wonder if anyone can spot the common letter which is being using by everyone who is complaining about the Taming Nerf.

Look, guys and girls. You all knew fully well that taming was broken and you still went a head to place all your eggs in one basket. No one held an arrow to your head and said you MUST using Taming. I would like to say I feel sorry, but I don't.

Taming was broken, really ....you all know it. All they did in this patch was to bring it back inline with everything else. You might not think so as you are too busy complain on how much you lost.

Here is a question for all Tamers, Why should a tamed animal be stronger than a non tamed animal at the same level? Or a player at the same level? If SotA did not make this change, if any person was able to tame a dragon they would be insanely over powerful.

How about looking at it this way, for R33 SotA could have just increased all the animal power everyone fights to the same level of tame animals. I mean that would have also solved the problem. Tamed Animals power would have been corrected, but then you would have everyone complaining the NPC's are too strong.

Elwyn and Spinok like this.
  19. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

there was not a big enough like button for this, so I had to post.
    best. comment. evah.

at this point, though, I'm thinking we could rename the game to "Complaints of the Avatars" lol

Mitara and Elwyn like this.
  20. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Elements? Uh... dont... just dont... they are SO weak its not even funny..

21. Jasper8282

Jasper8282 Avatar

You are wrong. If someone puts millions and millions of XP into a tree, it should be powerful. Yes taming was broke... now it is broke in the other direction though. There needs to be a middle ground. The issue before was that anyone could use any pet. Not the strength of the pet, but that anyone could use them. Right now if you have Taming, Summoning, and Combat Training all at 100 a pet will only have only a fraction of the potential of the original NPC.

You asked why should be a tamed animal be strong than a non tamed at the same level. That is what taming and training it! Would a wild animal be smarter or strong than one that has been trained for a particular purpose? Not a chance. That is the whole purpose of training. A person that is train in combat is stronger than a person that is not trained in combat. Look a police K9 units. That dog is trained. Why do you think that a dog in the wild should be stronger than a police K9 unit? It isn't in the real world...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Ice Queen, Kaisa and Purefalcon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.