1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

R38 Post Mortem Missed Questions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercster

mercster Avatar

Numa likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Weren't the amoeboids Martian Dreams? Cubes we haven't seen since Ultima I or II I think.

Well I'm not too old. ;) If there were no other way to do it that'd be another story.. but there are far better ways (imo of course) to do stuff like that.

Stundorn likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, gelatinous cubes were in early Ultimas... there was some SotA concept art here of an amoeboid which was basically supposed to be like a gelatinous cube without being a gelatinous cube.

I don't recall amoeboids being in any game... Martian Dreams had all the plantimals on the surface, then worms underground in caves.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yes but it also had the creatures with shells underground as well.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh yea, those were ammonoids... I believe they were categorized as worms, too. The martians would refer to humans as worms because plantimals/worms were the only two categories they had.

[​IMG]

6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

[​IMG]

discipleofweb likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You know you're really touching on a pet peeve there. Every magic system still follows rules. There are things it can and can't do or no one would believe it. SotA magic is no different. Just saying "magic" is a cheap cop out. Not buying it.

Now as we've strayed a bit off topic I'd like to let this drop before we stay off topic long enough for Berek to see fit to close an otherwise fine thread.

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

The system we have allows people to take catastrophic damage from things like dragon fireballs and (assuming they don't die) regenerate back perfectly in a few minutes time. Perhaps when someone yanks your jawbone from you after they kill you, it regenerates using the same mechanism. Maybe this happens at the same time your wandering spirit is reunited with the reincarnated body. Maybe the body you died in isn't made from the same molecules as the new one; it's just using the DNA blueprint or whatever the magical equivalent is in this world. Anyway, if you can believe in the damage/resurrection system, body parts as a PvP reward isn't a stretch by any means.

MrBlight likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I won't get into the "logic" behind how resurrection works here. (Yes I've examined it from several different angles) Needless to say.. it's an unfortunately necessary game mechanic for multiplayer and any way you try to explain it as a world has its own problems. It is far better to simply accept the game mechanic is necessary and not try to explain it at all. I would be happy to discuss it in its own thread in great detail if you like.

Stundorn and Numa like this.
  10. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

@DarkStarr

I am being told that Salvage level does play a part in the success of finding a recipe. I just want to confirm that the above statement was true. Can you confirm?

11. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Sorry I answered that question too quickly before. Application of patterns requires no skill but getting patterns from salvage is affected by skill

12. mass

mass Avatar

Thanks for asking this @Umuri

13. mass

mass Avatar

Really good suggestion!

14. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

@DarkStarr Thank you! Glad we got it cleared up.

15. mass

mass Avatar

For this response to be accurate, it means that the urgency of the quest be considered when asking the player to travel. For instance, asking a player to travel with great urgency to an area they are not capable of surviving in until many hours of gameplay has occurred causes dissonance in the story. Please consider this when crafting the language of the quests and the overall intent in building urgency in the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.