1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

R46 Postmortem Missed Questions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well if there were things on the map to keep players coming back to it like caravans of trade routes to drive and protect from poachers or if pvp then pvp opportunities then we wouldn't have to worry about people using the map. One of the things they may do in their day is travel their goods from town to town as well. There are still so much missing opportunities and we can argue about teleportation til the days end but it does not solve the development crisis of not being at the point to add in some things that would really help, well imo. So either teleporting will be enhanced or the other systems will come in to make people travel the map. Perhaps it will be treasure hunting as well.

edited and regional economies is not in as well. You can buy a lot of things still that are not regional or region specific.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I wouldn't suggest removing teleport now. The games is not ready for that. It would cause more pain than anything. But, the goal should be to give less of a feeling that it is needed.

Rufus D`Asperdi and majoria70 like this.
  3. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

I would love to see Rune books added to the game.
    Lets be honest, unless your name is Rufus, the first thing we all do when we have to get somewhere (especially hard to reach places like Graff or Ardoris) is to open our freinds list and see who is closest, then teleport to them.

The addition of a rune book would therefore not actually represent a huge change. All it would do is make the less frequented zones such as Drachveld and Perrennial Coast as easy to access as places like Owls Head, which would probably lead to people playing in many of the zones that are currently always empty.

An alternative option that I kind of like because it would lead to the development of player hubs, would be to add a craftable or gatherable resource ie "moondust" and then require players to visit lunar rifts in order to teleport to their marked runes.

Runes could still be stored in a book (for organisation and destination selection purposes), but the Avatar would be required to:
    A: Possess a charge of moondust
    B: Visit a lunar rift

In order to teleport to the location marked on their rune.

Mykll and Peabo like this.
  4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Sine July, I've been experimenting with not carrying teleport scrolls at all. Running anywhere I need to go, rather than teleporting to some random person.

What I've found is I use the Lunar Rifts to get around more, but mostly there is no need. Even control points are easy enough to navigate.

I don't want to see scrolls removed completely, but limited. Only teleporting to group members would free the friends list. Alternatively, just teleport to the nearest Lunar Rift.

5. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Honestly speaking..... it takes less than 3 min to get anywhere on the map with the exception of Resolute and all the areas in that section.

If you train stealth you can make it extreamly fast as you can walk by the bandits on the road.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I agree, at this point they should just give us official rune books and markable blank runes. Their usage is pretty much already in effect, it's just mislabeled as "friends list" instead of "rune book."

7. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

I typically run in friends only mode and this is how teleport works for me. I have to be in a group with someone before I can teleport to them.

8. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

@Chris I appreciate that but the answer to the question was missed. Here is the question.

Is there any plan to have the tools for managing NPC's upgraded / updated to be more functional?

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I am not alone in my stance, Sir. You need only read this thread to see messages from others that believe the game would be better without Teleport. Please do Not construct straw-man to try and promote the idea that everyone save Crazy Old Rufus is united in their love of Runebooks.

Runebooks will Fundamentally Change the Game, just as they Fundamentally Changed Ultima Online and how it's played. If you can't, or refuse to see that, then you're very very short sighted.

Alley Oop likes this.
  10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Two points.

1) Eons ago in development time, there was talk of removing teleporting, and I f I recall correctly recalling. This was when you you could bind anywhere and have multiple bind points. So they were going to make changes to this system and I think remove it all. Then the community's voices rose up and yelled about it. So recall became one bind point, so that people with multiple houses didn't have an advantage over those with one or no houses. And teleport scrolls stayed because people wanted to log in just before an event and magically appear at the event without taking the time to travel there.

And 2) grouping to teleport doesn't solve the friend's list problem. Instead of just picking. A friend and teleporting to them, you are simply adding one step. Now the person sends a group request to this friend. And then he teleports. Nothing has changed in using the mechanisms that are already in place.

11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Group teleport will greatly restrict it's use. If you think for a second most people will accept a group invite from a stranger just so they can bum a ride, your sorely mistaken. You can barely get most players to respond to a whisper.

12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I'd argue the opposite.

Grouping to teleport would definitely restrict it if that is what one wants.

Most of the larger guilds have bots standing around on the overworld at strategic locations which are used as teleport points. Since these have been reported multiple times by those who dislikes bots (or the guilds in question) then we can assume that Portalarium can't be bothered and implicitly thinks that is OK.
    By adding the group thingie that bot would by necessity have to be a bit more complex which would make most guilds think twice about it.

Plus I think Jayson has a point in that most wouldn't allow a group without at least a proper introduction, some social chatter, maybe some beer and talk about protection.... Oh Uhm that didn't sound like that in my head.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Alley Oop likes this.
  13. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

Acaelus Fireharp likes this

You are entitled to your opinion Rufus, but since the ability to teleport already exits, I fail to see how the addition of runebooks would be as fundamentally earth shattering as you claim.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.