Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Random lunging forward interferes with weapon (free/glyph) attack

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Balec Fares deCani, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Yes, auto attack with sword glyphs is especially bad. You end up lunging out into nowhere or doing weird sideways bunny hops. I've just stopped using auto attack in a lot of situations because it is so annoying.

The best is when you fight earth elementals and either lunge through them or off to the side as they root you and you get stuck with your back to the fight.

2. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Prior to the current release, none of these things were happening. There was no "New Melee Experience", and combat was fine. Now everything about combat is broken ... to put it mildly. It's worse than unpleasant, worse than annoying ... it is a complete crash-n-burn. Just my opinion of course, but I think most people would agree with me.

3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

As this appears to be better suited for the feedback thread, I'll move it so it doesn't languish in my land of bugs.

Black Tortoise and Snazz like this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

If this is designed it is very poorly designed,:eek: and should only be the skills that actually engage like, engage opponent, that are set up to do.:rolleyes:

I stood back last night as an archer in support:cool: and this mechanics took players to and thru the target and forced them to turn and put their back to enemies:mad: that they had control of before the move.

This is very poorly written:confused: and it execution cause way more problems than it fixed, :( wait did it fix any problems or complaints that any player presented. ;) I have yet to see a player ask for him moving to the target with any of the melee attack nor have I seen any issues with bugs about not being in range.o_O

There have always been problems with being to close and this change has compounded them even more.:)

This change is akin to the implementation of the reticle,:D bad, and more problematic than anything it fixed. :mad:

Sorry but 1 step f:porward (not) 4 back:oops:.

Can't wait till I start my melee guy and get screwed by this:confused:

Rofo, Brent Sasz, Lockey2 and 5 others like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

My char walked herself into lava last night because she insists on rotating around a mob that is standing still.

6. Rebelweasel

Rebelweasel Avatar

New Melee Experience? More like a Nasty Melee Experience!

Today I rooted an archer, and tried to get around the footman before me so that I could attack the archer. I was unable to get away from the footman. I tried moving backwards, the NME moved me forward again. I tried to tumble backwards, same result. I tried to tumble sideways, I was again forceably slid back to face the footman. Meanwhile, because archers are overpowered damage, I was completely unable to engage the archer because the NME is forcing me to engage only the footman. I was unable to switch to the archer as my primary target because he was too far away, yet close enough to pummel me with his arrows and he was blocked by the footman in my way. This is ridiculous. We need free movement in combat. The ability to move your character strategically about and change targets is essential to any good melee combat person. Who could possibly enjoy this system unless they like to go afk while in combat and lazily let their characters just auto attack everything? The entire situation seems like it was designed to support bots, not people at the keyboard.

I'm so surprised no one else has outed the "new experience" choice for terminology alone. I've had a history with "new experiences". All Star Wars Galaxy veterans remember the NGE. It decimated that game and hemorrhaged members. Aside from the fact that SotA's version of a "new experience" is so painful and horrible that it is a game-breaker for many melee combat players, keep in mind that the moment any game developer throws an undocumented "new experience" at any veteran gamer, she will instantly raise hackles because of the history of the NGE.

How did this even pass the early testing group in the first place?

7. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

And why?

FrostII and Trokip like this.
  8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i don't recall anyone in the early release feedback threads mentioning it. i don't think it got early testing at all.

Lockey2, FrostII, agra and 1 other person like this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I would certainly agree with you @Dariog - 100% :mad:

Lockey2, Aldo, Rinaldi and 2 others like this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

It got zero testing from us.

Dariog and Alley Oop like this.
  11. Dazzy

Dazzy Avatar

Aye this automatically moving around the mob is SO annoying.

Scraps MacMutt, agra, Dariog and 2 others like this.
  12. narcosis

narcosis Avatar

Don't have anything to add really. Most of us that play melee know how unpleasant it is.

I've heard the devs read and respond to feedback in this game so I just wanted to go on record by saying how much I dislike this new combat experience. Not exaggerating with this next statement but it really deters me from playing this game at the moment. I could swap to ranged combat, but NOPE. That's not the path I want for my character.

13. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

If feedback means anything whatsoever, they will completely eliminate the "New Melee Experience". If they do not, a lot of people will leave the game. I love the game, and I don't want to see it destroyed.

narcosis, FrostII and agra like this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I really wonder about this situation. Are there devs who actually think this is a good mechanic? How can they? I just have to believe that they either never play in auto attack mode, or that their idea about this lunge has simply not been adjusted properly. The alternative is scary.

FrostII, narcosis and Dariog like this.
  15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Putting together a movie of clips on this, as we speak.......

16. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Enemies being fought : Anything Ive fought (all humanoids, wolves bears I think does it, earth elis definately, all skeletons/kobolds/humans/elves)
    Moves used that cause it : Thrust & souble slash definately, think nearly every move moves me forwards or sideways.
    Non Moves that cause it : Auto attack, Double clicking a corpse sometime/ a ladder after combat finished & also executing an ability ie thrust just as enemy drops.

During combat its always going through mobs and your camera ends up pointing past them so you miss.
    Trying to move around mobs with autoattack on is damn hard as when you move back it pulls you back in , likewise as you strafe.

@Attenwood

Lockey2, FrostII, narcosis and 3 others like this.
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Adding to the pile here.

Got auto-attack on since I'm using fully random hotbar. That is now a nightmare due to this Gå På tactics, which might work for an army but is really a silly notion in small skirmishes.

When facing multiple opponents and with pole arm, instead of doing my old tactic of slowly retreating to get them all in my facing + sometimes slipping in some range between me and the mobs- my silly little avatar thinks that the polearm is a dagger and rushes in to stand in close contact with one of the foes, giving the rest of them the beautiful sight of my buttocks which they sadly seem very fond of.

Also it is getting me killed in that when the blood thumping starts, this silly notion of being close prevents me from steering the avatar away into safety - and instead the silly little buggar takes two steps back and then lounges straight forward again.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  18. agra

agra Avatar

Not all devs play their own game. Not saying that's what's happening here, but I've seen it before in many other MMO's.

Aldo, narcosis, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  19. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I use free attack for melee and I have the same problem with lunging through mobs at random. My character also sometimes points in random directions while finishing attack animations which also leaves him pointing away from his target. It's like he's disco dancing. Whatever this new melee system is it's dreadful. Please give us back the old system. Combat is random enough with the deck system without making it completely chaotic and disorienting.

20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, here's a short video with 4 clips showing the wackiness of our current melee combat.

Please note that the movements with Thrust and Reposite don't ALWAYS happen, but happen a LOT.

I typically spend as much time moving back into position after the GAME has moved me, then I do actually fighting.

**Edit** this also happens with Double Slash for sure.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.