Random questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DalTXColtsFan, Oct 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Crowd control is a term utilized when you "control the crowd".

Rooting, knocking down, stunning, mesmerizing, these are all effects that control the crowd that is against you.

There is also a differentiation between a soft CC, something like a root, that doesn't stop you from acting, but still controls you in some way, meanwhile a hard CC is something that incapacitates your opponent, such as a stun, or a knockdown.

majoria70 and Anpu like this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

It’s a debuff that’s added to a target when using a specific skill successfully. You can observe this debuff on the target and look at the icon for it.

As far as I know, the various skills that will apply the Crowd Control debuff, are not stated anywhere on the skills tooltip information.

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

You're thinking of the "Crowd control resistance" buff, which is another thing!

Anpu and FBohler like this.
  4. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I would explain Crowd Control simply as any effect that prevents control of the target. As already mentioned, stuns and all their relatives are good examples of CC. I tend to call any CC a stun, even though this is technically wrong.

SotA has the Crowd Control Resistance buff which was designed to avoid unbeatable stunlocks. Every time you get a CC skill/spell used on you, you get an icon with a helmet in it below your HP bar. It helps you preventing the next CC thus avoiding stun locks.

majoria70, Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  5. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Pretty much the whole time I've been playing I've been using Skewer and Body Slam. I used Dazzling Rays for a period of time but have gotten away from it, not sure if I'll go back to it. I guess Ice Field could be a MINOR form of crowd control (as could other freezing effects), at least it slows their speed a little. Earthquake I guess would be a decent one.

Not surprisingly, there are monsters I can take when it's one on one or one on two, but when I have to take on 7 to 10 of them I struggle. The second room of Liches in the Compendium are one example (I can usually beat the first room). The Skeleton Warriors, Archmages and Archers in the Ruins of Ravensmoor are another. That's pretty much why I was asking this question - was wondering if there was some "secret" to surviving 7 of them as easily as surviving 2 but I guess it's kind of a silly question.

Anything I might be missing?

FBohler likes this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

• Make sure you have enough sustain, Life spells (especially with spec), Soothing rain, Melody of Mending, regen potions, Water elemental, Health potions.
    • Make sure you use cover, any time there is a mage or an archer against you, you want to put cover between you and them, this will cause them to hurt you for far less, but also reposition themselves, often close enough that they actually jump in your melee range.
    • Make sure you incapacitate heavy hitting targets, using dazzling rays is one way, moon beams another, those are very good to keep out of range targets from attacking you for a while. Since you are melee, slows won't be as effective. a 5 or 6 stack body slam on a target you're going to ignore is a good choice too.
    • Don't be afraid to run, not out of range for the mobs, but from cover to cover!
    • Find ways to apply damage over times (like poisons, ignite weapon, etc) or persistent damage effects like Atonal Aria, If they are AoE, even better as it will hit more targets.
    • As a melee, consider 2 handed weapons over dual wield, as 2 handed weapons hits more targets! A second, but very good option would be Shield. Shields are amazing for survivability, especially against mages and archers!

Pretty sure this should be enough to actually give you a chance, apart from that, your own personnal skill, your ingame skill levels and your gear might be something to look at as well!

Anpu likes this.
  7. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Bludgeon 2-handers can stun more than one target at once. If you cycle through clusters of mobs using stun skills I'm pretty sure you can reduce a group of 10 enemies to only 2 or 3 still active at a given time.
    On the magic side of things, discharge, gust and lightning storm may be useful too (AOE, shorter stuns).

PS: use health potions when needed, Imbued and Aether are very powerful. You can place them on the utility bar so you don't waste glyph spots in your combat deck.

8. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Thanks. I looked up potion of restoration, aether on Sotawiki and it says it drops from a ghost boss in Elysium Mines - I've been in that dungeon 1000 times and never noticed a ghost boss there before. Still accurate? Do I just need to search harder or maybe search the second level better? It says The Aether Health potion recipe drops from the uLfheim dragon which I'm not sure I'm tough enough for yet (but I'll try!!!!). The aether focus potion recipe supposedly drops from the owl's head sewers lich boss.

FBohler likes this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You have to do the mirror puzzle to open the doors to the Lost Brothers Palace, and then do a wave battle and then Tikalos will appear. They have a chance to drop the recipe.

10. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

You'll probably solo the ghost boss without too much trouble. It took me 5-6 kills to get the recipe, but it's okay as the wave battle respawns pretty quick. The mirror puzzle is quite simple, just look for vines to get on the rooftops and rotate the mirrors. If you don't care to solve it, there's a thread with all puzzle solutions just Google "SotA blessing puzzle" and get the simple step by step instructions which will take no more than 10 minutes to get through. You'll get the Maintenance 3-day Blessing in the end, which slows down the durability loss for your gear.

Now about the Lich Boss, it's probably solo-able by an Adv Lvl 110-120 because there's plenty of cover and there aren't too many mobs accompanying. May be tricky though. Expect some deaths before you can kill him.

Now the Ulfheim dragon? Only top tier players can solo that bad boy. Probably a group endeavor for most of the player base.

And as always, if you're online and need some help to go through the bosses, just let me know!

Ulric Hildegard

DalTXColtsFan likes this.
  11. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

So I was lucky and got the recipe from Tikalos on the first try. I had already gotten the hardened flask recipe and I have over 3,000 zinc. But no quartz. None. I've always just sold flasks, test tubes et al because I never knew they had any value. So now I get to run around accumulating glassware for awhile. Let's go!!!

FBohler and Violet Ronso like this.
  12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Pendro in Yew. You can stand on the table and just grab bottles as they respawn.

Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  13. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Should I be surprised that the virtue system doesn't consider that stealing?

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Probably not. The glassware in his place isn't flagged as "owned." I wouldn't try it in Aerie or Ardoris, though.

DalTXColtsFan and Anpu like this.
  15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yes, some areas the items are marked red (owned) and others are not (marked green) in different scenes. Most of the green items are near areas related to daily quests, which was a nice touch.

16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Heh. Yeah, in ESO the turn-in crates for crafting writs have bits of owned deco lying on and around them. Really easy to get nabbed for theft if you're not careful...

Anpu likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

All it takes is one little hitch, you click on the wrong item and now your truth score drops massively because of a stupid game mechanic and not because you intended to take the item.

[edit] I also hate when my avatar auto-shoots that one last arrow right into the watcher after my actual target dies and my courage score takes a hit.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  18. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Is there a virtue hit for killing fawns? If so I am an utter scoundrel.

19. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes

Aldo likes this.
  20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

But, you get a bump up for killing the satyrs that have faun slaves, so it kinda evens out.

Anpu and Aldo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.