1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 11 staying open for testing longer duration

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Ok for the new char i started on a whole other acct, i can get in and play as long as i dont try to load owls head or ardoris then the game stops working.
    But for Sophi, no it hasn't, i can get her loaded but the game stops working within a few seconds. :(

Time Lord likes this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

One of my guild has also had the same problem, sent me a message yesterday to say that he was only having the issue whilst in Vertas Pass. have you tried moving to a different location (if you can stay in game long enough)?

Sophi and Time Lord like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Arrg! VertasPass! and The Wrath of Con...(Internet Connection) :mad:

I just got out of being trapped there for 30 min trying to get out because of crashing :p...
    I had to strip my character for an easy death which got me close to the lunar rift so I could get back to Owl... This took me maybe 12 attempts, as every time I tried to leave, the game would crash and send me back to a place where I was in VertasPass.
    "Yet I did make it out of there!"
    I play from Thailand and today they are replacing internet lines, so "it's the wrath of Con!", where connections are somehow overloaded causing the crash... But I'm not a tech savy guy, so I could be wrong... all I know is that I have far less problems hunting in the forests ;) "where there's less happening" :(... I also have a crash that sometimes happens exiting any place to go to another... but the second attempt seems to get me there :)
    But I'm so happy the game is up, even with it's problems :)
    Get out of complicated places and the game should work better.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

4. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

i cant stay in game long enough to get out of owl's head :(
    I'm calling apple today, maybe they can help

Time Lord likes this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I've just submitted a bug on Vertas Pass. I have been fine everywhere else but if I go there, after about a minute the screen goes back to building the map and then I lose connection. I have tested my connection and it seems fine......I'm fairly sure it is unlikely to be your computer.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Ya know, I was just thinking about this again today. People make mistakes all the time, and it's really far more important to judge people based on how they overcome adversity, how they change and adapt. It's not going to be a very good system if we're supposed to be 100% virtuous in all things (even the things we don't know are wrong to do).

It seems to me that if you curse at an NPC, and they say "please don't do that", that gives you a chance to stop and change your actions. And that's far more meaningful to me than someone that just games the system and never curses to begin with.

Time Lord, Miracle Dragon and Spoon like this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

That is one of the points in BotA so I'd be suprised if they haven't considered any implementation of that.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well acts in themselves don't necessarily say things about people's virtue. :/ Someone could be going around doing good deeds just because he wants to be praised by everyone as a do-gooder. Its generally the character behind the acts that matters... which isn't going to be rate-able in the game, at least as far as I can tell. Maybe RG managed to craft a better plot than I could ever expect, but if you get some type of karma rewards for doing good, many people will do good for just the rewards.

Either way, as you're suggesting, if you clean up your language after being told or from the start, its hard to say your karma will be impacted much. Because its a really tiny negative point compared to all the large positive points that I'm sure you'll accumulate. Still you have a good point.

9. PreacherMan

PreacherMan Avatar

In my opinion a virtuous man would perform good deeds even when there is absolutely nothing in it for themselves. As much as I love Karma / Fame system ( I even mapped it against the D&D alignment system and implemented it in a Neverwinter Nights PW mod I built 10 years ago ), I think such 'scores' should always remain hidden, certainly the Karma score anyway. With Fame it is often noticeable anyway, especially for those that are vainglorious or narcissistic in nature ( How npc's behave towards you, or maybe how being famous attracts more pick pockets or even assassins. ) Good Karma, however, is one of those things whereby if you are actively seeking it, then you are probably not truly deserving of it.

The whole thing about bad language, censorship is never a good thing and easy to circumvent anyway but if cussing is a way to reduce karma and if bad karma is one's actual desired result, then one has just indirectly promoted it ( and given an excuse for the foul mouthed to hide behind - "It's not me, it's my vulgar mercenary character straight off the pages of Game of Thrones" )

I find with people that curse a lot or are generally verbally aggressive or abusive, if you take away the audience ( Mute / Block / Unfriend / Talk-to-the-hand-whatever ), their voices lose all power. And as touched upon earlier in this thread, "If a man swears in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does anyone (or any bear) give a sh*t ?"

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Makes my computer crash, consistantly. I can travel to other places, just not to Owls Head. I know how you feel.

11. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

well ok i talked to apple, they got my java fixed, apparently mac stopped using some version of Java 7 and went to java 8, i didnt have it so i was really hoping that would solve the problem, but it didnt.:(

I mean, I can still play uo just fine through a vine software i have,
    i can load shroud to play on a 2nd acct where the char doesnt have much attached to them (inventory, house, skill pts, etc) her name's Isabel btw.
    i still cant get into owls head or ardoris with this char (they just wont load and sometimes actually crashes the game), but i can get into kingsport and valeway south, so go figure.... problem is i need a change in armor and some new weps for this char and the only armor merchants i've found are in the 2 places i cant get to! :confused:

[so if you see me on, i wouldnt say no if someone who can get into owls head would run me out some replacement armor (aug. leather) and an ax and maybe a polearm to play with. Keep acct of it 'cause i can pay you np -- gold i got! Just if you're bored or something...]

Other char, Sophi is stuck in Owls Head. I can manage to log in on her occassionally but cant take more than a few steps without the screen freezing - at best. Have no idea why this is happening.

Think i should email game support?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Our Karma...?
    I think it would be grand if some karma title only came from the NPC's, where it may not show up in your name or profile, yet when speaking to an NPC, they then have made up their own mind about you through the legends and stories they've heard about you.
    Actions 80% - Sayings 20%?

13. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Thank you very much Invidia for ferrying me out much needed supplies - omg you're a lifesaver!

and woohoo for sotaguild.net!

:D

14. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Well I found the problem and i'm back in the game as Sophi!!!
    Along with a fix (upgrade) to Java, for some reason the game graphics got set over to 'custom'. I set them back to 'fastest' and voila! problem fixed...
    OMG what a long drawn out mess for a couple little things - SO glad i didnt email support yet - wouldn't i look like an idiot! DOH!

So tyvm to all of you who expressed concern and who helped me out during this rough patch, 'preciate it very much guys and see you online! :D

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm so happy to hear that great news Sophi!
    Perhaps your journey through all that will help others overcome such an obstacle :)

Sophi, Lonn the Earl, Arianna and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.