Release 55 telethon Part 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Humbert_Humbert, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

well happy to hear about more about ep 2 and always some what interesting to listen to but there is nothing on the store I want to buy.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Chatele like this.
  2. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Have gone for the subscription as the timings of the telethons don't work for me.

Am fairly cynical about the reason for the second one too - people's uncertainty/disillusionment is something they need to address directly and swiftly of the game is to survive let alone prosper.

Acknowledging people's concerns and their suggestions for change would be a good start...

3. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

My hope is they decided to do a second livestream because they wanted get some exciting messaging out there to the public. Perhaps they listened to some of the feedback on Episode 2 and stretchgoals and decided to change some of their Ep 2 priorities?

Anywho, I will be glad for a shot at additional LB themed rewards either way.

4. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Here is my take on this part 2 Livestream:

1) Did not get enough out of part 1 - Obvious.

2) a way to reply and re-sell their 4 Ep2 stretch goals. - speculation after the shitstorm of “disappointed replies.

3) Buying time to brainstorm possible additional stretch goals to get community to “buy in” on what has and may be presented in a new more palatable package. - more speculation.

That is my personal guess and I will leave it at that since guessing is all we can do at this point. R/Boris/ El Pirata.

Numa, Cordelayne, Ronni and 4 others like this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

For sure! I share those reasons. I complain nearly all of the time on implementation/quality, design and priorities for nearly every aspect of the game. Not to mention the questionable behaviour of the devs.

So, yes, don’t think that everything’s all happiness and sunshine, far from it.

The worse case scenario (aside from complete shutdown) is still something that could be maintained and made enjoyable... with a very limited amount of personnel.

Unless you absolute need this game to be the greatest piece of entertainment ever; then you’re out of luck.

So I’ll point out all the flaws this game has but, in reality, I’m not that concerned. Not because I believed it’ll get fixed (I really hope it does), but because I believe the game will still be playable even if the devs do the bare minimum in content creation.

For those that already love the game, that can’t be a bad thing.

It still doesn’t make this funding scenario any less ridiculous, though, and for that I can’t trust any stretch goal or whatever they promise to convince us to pay more money than we already have.

I only pay when I see something I like in game.

6. dayero

dayero Avatar

I think all of you missed one of the reasons for the recent need for cash and the resulting extra telethons etc: physical rewards.
    Think about it. The money earned for both the eligible pledges and the international shipping fees was mostly paid and - very likely spent - years ago, but now Port has to actually produce and ship stuff. Thats several thousand times product + packaging + shipping costs. This is bound to cause a spike in their spending.

That being said: they might still be in the negative with just their regular burn rate + everything is going fall apart - SOON! I just wanted to add a "There is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this." to the mix :p

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Xandra7 like this.
  7. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

That would be poor planning if Kickstarter money wasn't set aside to pay for Kickstarter promises.

8. sake888

sake888 Avatar

Why yes, that would be.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  9. dayero

dayero Avatar

You really think they - or anybody for that matter - has tiny little buckets of money for every single kickstarter promise, stretchgoal and so forth? they would be handling 50 budgets, half their staff would be in accounting and they would never have any money available for what they are actually working on because it would all have been "set aside" for some future task that might eventually be worked on. I think reallistically it's like this: they have money coming in they spend it. With MAYBE a few month planning ahead and trying to balance the overall cashflow.
    The recent staff cuts might very well be in line with this: reduced costs, hopefully without any loses in sales results in some extra money that might suffice for the physical rewards. After that, they might try to build a bit of a buffer for another try at a marketing campaign and then saving up for rehiring when it's time to add content for EP2.

It's all just guessing anyway. If remember correctly, the seedinvest investors should get annual updates though. And the campaign was a year ago. So maybe soon we - or some of us - might know more about Ports financials.

10. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

I like the telethons, they give out prizes, they give us free stretch goal rewards, and they talk to us about what they are working on in the game. They keep us up to date on what's going on, the good and the bad. I don't know any other game that does that. Also this:
    "All purchases during the twelve hour window will count towards the stretch goals, not just the four hours of the livestream! Also participation in the Rewards Program counts towards our stretch goal totals! NOTE: We are picking up the funding goals where we left off from last time!"

Personally I think they should have been doing this all along. When they started doing the four hour only telethon totals, I thought that was a mistake. I'm hoping they continue this in the future. Sure, some people do not like the Lord British theme, but there are some, like myself, who love it! #TeamBritish

11. Galadriel O'Sullivan

Galadriel O'Sullivan Avatar

I got $5 on it.

[​IMG]

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  12. oplek

oplek Avatar

I hate to say it, but even for me it was a bit cringey. It was basically them sitting around saying, "yeah.. we didn't make enough. Try again?"

I just wonder at what point they'll start listening to what we're saying about telethon rewards. I think there's a lot of people who actually hold off (and I say that because this has been my thought process) on contributing until a wanted stretch goal was achieved.. and they tend to put the weaker things first. So that creates an inertia problem.

Spoon and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Biggest issue I had was they claimed they were "finally giving archers some love" by including a bow...

...at $100k.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Cora Cuz'avich Anything less than $100k would be an insult to archers. ;)

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

True. We'd much rather not get new bows at all.

/em eyeroll

Witcheypoo, Ronni, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  16. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Well, yes... not necessarily cash but they need to account for their liabilities.
    Also if i recall right the production started in Feb (Chinese New Year delays!) and March, so the only thing left except postage should be cashflow for the bills.
    Last but not least, Portalarium is not a mom&pop shop, but collected several million USD over the years. They have a "CFO" and finance savvy folks to take care of such things. And even if they hadn't, all senior staff worked on big budget projects before and knows about the importance of having reserves for promises - especially if the only major remaining revenue stream depends on the goodwill and hope of their supporting gamers/customers.

17. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Sure, sure. Not to worry. Nothing to see here. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

The quests are fine. Combat is fine. Crafting is fine. Taming is fine.

18. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

It looks like he did answer your question. Yes, it's ready to move forward, and they will continue to improve on it. Which is what they are doing.

19. Floors

Floors Avatar

You wanna save the game, charge for access to Upper Tears, you'd have like 20 million overnight

20. Godra

Godra Avatar

You know, I am sick and tired about how people say they didn't know about the livestream/telethon. It was on the main page on the website. They have had a telethon every month for God knows how many months now. All you have to do is open your eyes and LOOK!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.