Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Row Lot Property Tax Reduction

Discussion in 'Release 55 QA Feedback Forum' started by CatweazleX, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

"We have always stated that we would analyze gold earning rates and balance our property tax rates against those. Based on the current average earn rate for gold we have decided to halve the current property tax rates on taxed Row Lot deeds."

Why you made it so, that row lot owners earn less gold, then the ones that own a bigger (taxed) property?

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't get what you're saying. In what way do they earn less gold? The Oracle gives 500 gold and XP a day. You'll have to be a little more descriptive of what issue you are pointing to. It is still up to row lot owners to make their own way and be creative as with every lot size owners to make gold by selling and creating income in the way they choose to do it. Anyway it's hard to reply with not fully understanding your post.

3. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

That means gold eanings and taxes are bound. And taxes are balanced respecting the avarage gold income.

That means, that row owners earn less gold then others. Because the taxes are only lowered for rows.

Thats what the question come from. Why do row owners earn less?
    Regarding the release notes, row owners earn half the amount of gold compared to village, town, city lot owners.
    I do not understand the reason why row owners have to have half the gold income compared to other lot owners.

Edit:
    Here is link that explains how taxes are calculated (25/07/2016): https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=61019
    Port. tells the avg. minimum income is 3500 per hour. And now, if you own a row, it is 1750 per hour instead of 3500 when you own a bigger lot.

Another question, if one owns a village or higher and a row. The income is restricted to the row owners income or not?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  4. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

With R55 there is a 50% lower housing deed tax, only for row lots.

I wonder if we now get 250 gold each day with a tax free row lot deed...
    With the R55 "free" housing situation i would never made the upgrade to Ancestor (for the row deed) in the first place.

edir...
    CatweazleX was faster

5. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

i do not care if you get 250, 100, 1,000,000 or some amount of cotos per day because you own something tax free...

They better had promoted and supported all the inns. They have created such buildings and also a inn-basement. Young avatars should become used to live in an inn before they are capable to have their own land.
    I always liked the idea to have inns. In UO you started also in an Inn. Getting the own house was a long term goal.

The Hendoman and majoria70 like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well you did get tax-free with that. Yes I understand do sell it then and get your money back and pay taxes if thst is what you want. I am not sorry for my tax-free deed pledge purchase or for helping to fund the game. That is what mattered most to me.

Everyone will get the 500 gold from the oracle whether they have taxed or tax-free deeds.

I did not hear the lower taxes only applied to row sized lot deed taxes. That is not what we asked for. It was supposed to be for all taxes.

3devious and Fei Akhart like this.
  7. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok
    Ok so they only halved taxes on rows deeds and at least they did that for all who now come to the game can have a little more reasonable rate for deeds they'll earn from doing all the main quests. It's a start. Funny I had read that thing 3 times and didn't catch it was only row deed tax discounts.

9. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

It is true that new players ideally would progress up the property ladder from a free or rented Inn room and get access to the shared Inn vendor and earn their own home. There is no reason why they can't or why their earnings shouldn't allow them to control their own destiny on the property ladder.

From your Inn room as I did, you can steadily learn the game; how to decorate (limited in an Inn) how to gather, craft and sell crafted or gathered items, and gather igg from these goods, dropped and gathered items.
    As the player's skills increase and the igg earning rate increases, and if a player aspires to own a home, their eyes will fall maybe onto a 350-400k Village lot, which they can earn and set up in less than 3 months from deciding on this path.

This approach is immersive, fun, and how the game was designed to be played. The decision to provide a free taxed Row Lot deed has nothing to do with the game play, its to do with the survival of the game. This early / mid game progression path has been scrapped on the assumption it will stabilise and hold the player base together long enough for the remaining Devs to stabilise the performance of the existing game and flesh out some missing or dysfunctional features such that the players stay and the player base hopefully begins to grow, at which point we will turn our eyes to chapter 2.

The loss of the path to house ownership via your own efforts (i.e. earning igg, not RMT), was as huge to me as the main quest line. I'm proud of myself that I earned my village lot through my own efforts, via earning igg. I doubt now any new player will go this path again. Its a huge shame, but I guess understandable, especially if Portalarium are right (?) and it secures the player base and allows us to go forward again.

The Hendoman likes this.
  10. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

It is not a Tax free Row.
    Something bigger, right?

11. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

In addition, I'm sorry to say SOTA is also a victim of today's entitled society.
    The original MMOs were a niche hobby. They were often tough as nails, intentionally or accidentally obtuse or ambiguous, and took a great deal of thought, time and effort to master but they gave a huge amount back in time. That's why they are looked back on with a great deal of affection and some still survive on player run servers.

I'm afraid todays MOOs are mass market products, computer game playing is now established mainstream consumer stuff and most MMOs are junk food: Initially attractive but lacking satisfaction and after a while you get sick of them.
    Most of the modern MMO features are so automated they almost play themselves, and the Devs are terrified of over challenging the modern mass market consumer.

A great amount of the flaming criticism on this very Forum is from players who are disinterested in learning a game, can't abide travelling across a game world in real time, having to work hard for your kills (i.e. not feeling god like) or doing anything other than PVP, which means they don;t grasp the immense breadth and depth of other features offered..

Alas whilst SOTA is in many ways a flawed diamond and potentially a great game, in my darker moments I wonder whether it is a game out of its time, and whether there are enough old school players (old school players can be any age) to make themselves heard above the clamour of the enraged entitled masses.

12. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Back in 2016 Port. has determined that avg. income of players is 3500 – 7500 gold. That was the base for the current taxes. They stated they will cut taxes in half. That means, that the avg. income is dropped to 1750-3750 gold.
    I guess that is not only true for row lot owners, it is true for everyone. But this is only a guess.
    The taxfree crowd, has defended the tax reduction. Port. is not allowed to lower taxes. This exactly mean that taxes are effectivly higher then in 2016. The descission to lower taxes only for rows is a hidden tax raise for all other lot types.
    If Port. to not have the power to reduce taxes, they may can double the amount of gold found on mobs. That should bring back the avg. income the taxes where calculated for.

That young players become used to live in an inn, needs a Innkeeper-NPC. So, they can rent a room at any time, without the need that the owner is present. To give a room to someone is always the same: add player to lot (guest+tenant) and add player to the door of the next free room. And lock the door. That should be scriptable. Players can buy a rent for one week or any other intervall. When the rent time is not refreshed the player get evicted and all the belongings send to the local bank. (that is what the tenant mode is for. Guest + Tenant ensures that the player can only place items in tenant mode).
    But that is more work, then give a row deed away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.