Should Coins Have Weight Associated With It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blake Blackstone, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Should Coins

1. Yes

49.3%
  2. No

50.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Suppose youd have to sacrifice that death touch for heavy lifter if it meant that much to you.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  2. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

Blake, what you propose sounds like you do not trust the Devs to give you enough challenges. Personally, I believe there will be plenty of challenges once the game goes live, without have to worry about becoming overweight because of coinage.

1. Immersion - This one is simple, if you picked up a coin in real life, it would have a weight to it. You would not be able to carry massive amounts of coined currency around.

--- This is a world with magic. Coins do not need to weigh anything - who is to say that we are actually carrying them - we might have a magical connection to our bank box!

2. Regional Economical Development - Each region would be forced to work amongst the towns and town owners within their region for the benefit of the whole area. Weighted currency would make it more difficult to move large quantities of funds across the map. In turn, forming altruistic alliances naturally.

--- We are already going to see a lot of this because of how they are going to spread out resources.

3. Meaningful PvP - In order to move quantities of gold across the map, a player or guild would have to be prepared to defend themselves. Throughout history, moving currency has been risky business. Not only
    do you have to defend your shipments but you also better pay the people defending it well.

--- The PvPers can loot valuable armor and sell it for gold. That is taking the place of the gold because then said killed player will have to buy more.

4. Trade - It would make the regional economies and the resources tied to them more viable. If it is difficult to move currency, it would be difficult for large guilds to move across regions and buy up all of the region specific resources to take back to their homeland. Weighted currency lends advantage to those already living in a region to disperse goods from their economy around the world.

--- Again, they are going to have a very regionalized economy and we do not want to tip the scales too far.

5. National Pride(A sense of a homeland) - Weighted currency would tie people more to their home town, then region, and then out to the world. I believe it would help player retention rates by having people slowly build up their financial resources and wealth. Moving locations would not be as easy as just picking up camp and moving. It would be an adventure to move somewhere else in the world.

--- I think that because of the regionalization stated above, and guilds, and the story flow, people will already be tied more to their town. And we will not have "gate" to get around. This proposal would not help player retention rates but would hurt it.

6. Foundation of a True Economy - With weighted currency as a foundation; towns, homes, resources, crafting locations, and all underlying economic factors would start to carry meaningful value depending on your actions in game and amongst your immediate community. Alliances and enemies would become critical to the success or failure of a local economy. Further enriching the gaming experience for everyone and naturally creating a metagame(def. The highest level of strategy in many complex games, metagame refers to any aspect of strategy that involves thinking about what your opponent is thinking you are thinking.)

--- Again, I disagree. The Devs are doing this using commodities rather than coinage.

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Uhm? People just because we want weight doesn't mean we want realistic weight.
    I'm easily for the current equivalent of 1000g to be 1 weight when they are loose in your inventory.
    With halved encumbrance in proper containers, so 2000g to 1 weight.

Also for higher denominations with even lower weight. Like gems at 500g to 0.1 weight.

4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

No, absolutely not...

If coins have weight, then the server would need to track them as an "object", and there for put more "Lag" in the game... Load times would go up, moving through city streets would come to a crawl... Everything would be lagged... The server has enough to keep track of, let's not bog it down...

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

There's no difference between keeping track of "coins" and keeping track of "gloves" or "hats". An object is an object. The devs would never keep track of every single coin as a separate object.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am not for our cash to have weight. Of course as mentioned gold you mine will have weight, and will be used for minting, if they still plan to do that anyway. I don't think we need to add to the encumberance with it. We have plenty of other things that give encumberance. :)

Womby and FrostII like this.
  7. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

@Raven

You are completely right about not being challenged. Within days of each release people are level 65-70, we run out of things to do by Saturday night. Its a ghost town. I know it is Pre-Alpha, but if anyone is honest with themselves their is no endgame to keep people around between episodes.

I propose a slow paced world, organically grown by the players over time. After you have run all the quests in the first month, the only thing left is the metagame. If all of the tasks can be done by a 5 minute run across the map, everyone will get bored and move onto other games.

I think every aspect of the game should develop slowly, levels, crafting, economy, towns, etc. I always look to the success of Eve Online to what a metagame should be. It had no plot or stories, the players made the game. We will have it even better if we can pull it off because we will have a rich story line and a reason to come back and play more and more.

I look for any reason I can to put the brakes on people accomplishing things easily. As of today, imo we don't have a sustainable environment. People think they want WoW because they don't know any different.

8. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Im not so sure about that. Ive carried around quite a bit of resources and Im pretty sure there were others doing the same in Owls head.

Miracle Dragon and Hraw like this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

When you are low level the amount of gold you have will be low and thus not affect you. (Assuming the 1000g/1 weight unit).
    When you progress you will have more gold, and with that you can buy more banking.
    When you go even higher you can transfer to higher denominations carrying around 50k/1 weight unit instead.
    etc

Lower tiers and lower levels will not be affected harshly by this. Only top level with massive amounts of gold.

10. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Amen.

Miracle Dragon and Hraw like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL well I don't think we need to add frustration as something to do. I believe we will have plenty to do. This is not the type of game that needs an end game. We make our own game. It will be amazing to experience all that there will be to do. The developers have stated that they intend to give us the tools to have a blast with that, especially Richard Garriott. We have no clue in the shell of a game we are playing in of how powerful for longevity this game will be. Now it is up to us to make sure we have those things, not frustration, but fun, fun, fun. I do have strong feelings about what that will be, but definitely not adding to weight for coins. That is not on my list;)

cartodude likes this.
  12. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I think you are neglecting to take into account other factors which we will not see until the game goes live - such as....
    - no zoning

- oh, want to train "x" skill - you must go to such-and-such town to get to that trainer; want to train "y" skill - you must go to a different trainer in a different town

- not to mention the story line that will be happening all around us. (Have you read the novel? I keep finding that many folks have not read the novel. Any who have not read it, should read it. Don't think for a second that they are just going to release us into the world of Novia and that's going to be it!!)

13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry Gold , as it is now, should not (NOT) have weight and remain as a value. Just like it is on a debit card.

If this path is started we are one step away from having to have a Check to make purchases for large items.

And since this game WILL be community based values some are going to be EXPENSIVE.

Soo

No gold stays as it is, until some other fundamental changes are made and realized.

Sorry BAD idea.

Budner likes this.
  14. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I don't think coins should have weight either, but this isn't the case. The devs could simply add tags to increase your encumbrance based off the amount of coins you have. There is no need for each coin to be its own object.

15. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

To me, fun is forming alliances and trade partners.

Having to call in my RL friends to loot a dragon or if Im going to fight a dragon have enough people there to loot it. Scared that on the way back to my home that I might get jumped by some bandits out in the wilds.

Competing at the same level with others because you cant hit level 80 in 2 days.

Playing with real merchants who dont just macro 100 swords but have to figure out where those resources will come from.

Becoming a distributor for those resources because I see a market gap that needs to be filled.

Going to war(PvP or PvE) to open up trade routes.

16. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Shroud has solo mode too.

17. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I really don't think it would affect solo mode so much so that it would have a negative impact.

18. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It would make things more tedious. I think it would have a large impact.

19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

No one carries multiple pairs of gloves... What would the limit be for a stack of coins? 60k? 30k?(sounds too much like UO to me) Maybe 2k or 1k... I would rather sacrifice a bit of "realism" for simplicity, I waste enough time running back to town to buy more repair kits... I surely doen want to make a journey to te Bank to drop off all the coins I've picked up along the way...

I agree with you Lord Blade Blackstone, but when you put limits on one group, you put limits on us all... Player who wish to level as fast as possible will always be in the game playing (I call them the 1%ers), the rest of us take our time and play every aspect of the game, not just leveling (I find that pretty boring)... As you say, "getting to end and having nothing else to do"...

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  20. Atticus Gryphonheart

Atticus Gryphonheart Legend of the Hearth

I am all for weight. If a gold coin weighed 1/10 an ounce, it would be the size of a dime. To an extent it would help justify the current currency system. Having to haul large quantities of gold to purchase high price items put additional risks on players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.