Should Names Be Publicly Displayed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leviathan Alestorm, Oct 2, 2014.

?

Should names be displayed publicly without you first telling them your name?

1. Yes

45.8%
  2. No

54.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!

the name would not just appear by targeting, it must be said (typed) as a response to your question.

not sure really what you meant by this, you hint there is some loss of immersion but really there is more immersion, it just takes a bit of effort to find your answer instead of just knowing it with divine powers.

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  2. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

why do we want players to be anonymous to each other? to give them more of an opportunity to be rude disrespectful etc to each other? no thanx honestly there is enough of a bad world on the web already because of anonymity, being able to hold a player accountable for his/her behaviour is important in developing a quality community

amaasing, Caliya and Joviex like this.
  3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

As stated above in previous posts, you could simply right click on the person and report him. Each Character is tied to an account in game and would be linked to it. Not to hard of a problem. We all know that the world is full of bad people, and if you live in fear of that then you are going to have a very unhappy life, as it makes people give up freedoms in return for security. If they are rude also you can ignore that player/account or in addition block that player/account. You would probably not even see him anyway after that through the filter system.

4. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

my point is I see absolutely no valid reason of why we should allow players to run around hiding their names period. to me doing something like this would be a very bad game decision. if I want to toggle show player names on/off thats my choice but a player shouldnt be allowed to hide their name

5. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

We need a chaos spell that turns us into Lord British look alike. Then we can run around causing all manner or mayhem.

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I understand. Have you ever done any role play in a role playing game before? In order for people to role play in a game. First one goes to find a role play game. They buy the role play game and then make a character in it. In order to develop the character in the game one starts out as a new player. As a new player you basically are brand new to the world (in a role play sense) and your character would not know anything. You would not know the name of the town you are in, you would not know the local blacksmiths or bartenders. You would wander around looking and learning and asking questions. It is called immersion into the game, it is the whole purpose for a storyline and having the ability to be a character who is not you. I guess I cant understand why a person would want to know everything and everyone automatically. Why even play a game that has quests that involve talking to npc for information to solve quest lines and to even get to know their name? what makes you want to play this particular type of game? Now I understand that many people have not been exposed to role play, but why take it away from the people that want to. Some one mentioned one time that maybe they can make an emote or toggle that would allow YOU to publicly state your name and everyone would know you. Then you could have everyone identify you easily, and all your friends would also be able to do that. I want the ability in addition to that to be able to toggle your name off of you so I would not see it if we have never met.

7. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I agree with Dasilva. While I understand that, realistically, you can't automatically know someone's name, that is just a small concession to make for immersion because of the problems inherent with anonymity. And requiring the offending character to be present so that you can right click on them to report is not viable. If there is even one occurrance of reportable behavior in which the offender is no longer present, that system fails completely.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Not sure what you mean by this statement. Would you not have to be there to see if some one is griefing? Or exploiting? What situation are you talking about, so I am clear about it? Is he talking to you or some one and calling you names? /ignore/block. Can you give me some examples of what the inherent problems are with anonymity?

9. Ida

Ida Avatar

I have a newbie question... the forum name won't be the character name, correct? I'm about to purchase this game and want to make sure.
    I played Elder Scrolls Online for a while and absolutely disliked that instead of your character name your user ID was shown in guild chat etc.

10. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I'll give an example from FFXIV. I was attempting to teleport to a different location and someone decided it would be funny to follow me around and initiate trade, which repeatedly interrupted my teleport. They followed me all over the map and made it their personal goal to grief my gameplay. My goal became escape. While I could have completed the harassment report while the other player stood there constantly spamming the trade request, it was so aggravating that I just wanted to find a quiet place to write the report. Once I was able to teleport away, had I not known the character's name, it would have made the report speculative, forcing a GM to do more research to ensure I wasn't making a fraudulent claim.

The other example is the person who is reluctant to make a griefing report. Not everyone is johnny on the spot with making a valid complaint.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

your forum name is separate from your in game name if you choose so. :)

Filthy Peasant and Ida like this.
  12. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Correct. Forum and character names are separate things.

Ravicus (Sawtooth Hollow and Ida like this.
  13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Seems like the /ignore/block would work in this case. Just click on him, hit ignore and block. *poof* no more problem. There will be as far as I know no teleporting in this game other than the lunar rifts so you do not have to worry about that in SotA. :)

14. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The specifics of the incident weren't the point, sir.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Oh, what was your point again then?

16. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

My troll-o-meter is going off. :)

amaasing, Caliya and Joviex like this.
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

My name will be my name, or will it (sticks tip of pinky finger under lower lip) ?

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I am not trying to make you uncomfortable friend. I do not want to be hostile. I am merely trying to see your argument. If you can handle being griefed with in game mechanics why would you have to fill out a report? You said you did not want to take up the devs time correct? All I am saying is that in Sota that if a person followed you around and was harassing you, you can ignore him, and block him and he is out of your life forever.

19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

If this was an option to aid in roleplaying, as Bodhbh suggested above, I would definitely be on board with this type of system. It doesn't affect other players, and makes the game play the same way for both NPCs and PCs. Since it is an *option*, it would also have a limited effect on customer service functions. I would consider playing with this option on, and I don't do a lot of hardcore roleplaying.

Yes, there is a complaint that others will break your "immersion" by knowing your name before you tell them, but honestly, you are never going to force someone else to roleplay. If they bother you that much, /ignore them.

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Ida. Congratulations on joining Shroud of the Avatar. In the game you can chose the name you want so no worries. Let us know if you need anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.