Shroud of the Avatar ads without Early Access mark?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crazy Phil, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's not blind faith; it's simple reason. Portalarium probably has close to no debt, the game mechanics are mostly in-place and not likely have large changes (just small tweaks) and any bugs that come up can, and will, be fixed (it is just software after all). Once they reach the point of release and start actively pushing the game, they will get new players.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Numa like this.
  2. Numa

Numa Avatar

The only one who can answer this question is Port unfortunately. Maybe someone can raise it so at least we can argue with the certainty on who actually did this?

3. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

why not just tag @Berek or maybe @DarkStarr ???

4. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I am curious too. They said they were not spending any money on advertisements, but here we are, seeing ads that go directly to the Add-on store. I dismissed Steam as the culprit, because it doesn't go to the Steam store. As always, it would be nice to get some communication on the matter so we aren't left thinking that they are lying to us (because I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation).

5. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

I have seen paid SotA sponsored Facebook ads for quite some time now.

evillego6 likes this.
  6. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Good grief, if this is supposed to be close to the final game then, no, the game won't be getting new players. Compared to the MMO market out there, SotA is a plucky effort, but looks pretty amateur alongside basically anything else.

Also, "close to no debt", whether a fact or not, isn't the same thing as having overheads. There's people who need paying, office space that needs renting. All sorts of stuff. The money's likely going out faster than it's coming in now.

As I keep saying, the next 12 months will determine what happens. Botched patches, boring content, nothing to do but grind, etc, will all contribute to more and more people choosing to spend their time with something else to play.

7. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Larawyn Skjaldmaer Avatar

Relax. Its all good guys. They will have to advertise sooner or later, but it will take time for them to hirer a good company or the best company, and find the right marketing plan. What we all heard at the holiday party is that they have their eye on the goal and are headed into the final stretch. This seemed sincere, the poster a few back, is on the money. When we see adds in high volume locations, only then can we safely assume they've began their advertising campaign.

8. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Err... Facebook or Skype are not high volume locations?

Gotta agree here that if they are advertising then it's both a bad idea and looks bad that they tell us one thing and do another. Game is in no shape to be trying to pull in new players right now. Fix some of the big issues, get some meaningful content in place first and then advertise. Bringing people in now will just keep up the trend of bad reviews and scare off more people.

MrBlight, Chatele and scroda like this.
  9. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hi all,

We are currently partnering with Origin PC to promote a giveaway, and in combination with that, we are also promoting the game in a very limited capacity through a test advertising service.

The ads you see have nothing to do with any Launch, we are still very much in Early Access :). Should the ads have mentioned early access or some form of context to them? Sure, and I'll make note of that to the team on potential adjustments for clarity.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Then why are you wasting your time with SotA and not playing those other games?

11. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I would think that since we haven't launched and you are pulling people to the game then yes, you do want to make it clear that it's Early Access.

The other thing is that we were told not that long ago (at least at the last Telethon, perhaps more recent than that) that you guys were not advertising and didn't want to bring new people in at such an unpolished state. I think my concern is that this change in direction, even something in a limited capacity, should have been mentioned to the backers and perhaps explained so that we understand why Portalarium felt it needed make this change.

Otherwise, if this is a targeted ad campaign, then not mentioning Early Access could be seen as a ploy to perhaps let the people think that the game had finally launched and it was time to come back and check it out. Not saying you guys are trying to pull a fast one, I just think transparency in this backer-based funding makes for better trust and a greater willingness to stick things out.

MrBlight, smack and Pickley like this.
  12. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I think i know who you are talking about. I have had to ignore my second person here on the forums. Its not something i take lightly as i think we all have the right to say what we feel, constructive criticism is ALWAYS needed and am against gagging anyone. I had listened to this person before Christmas when they gave a slightly apologetic and heart warming post and i thought the new year might see just a little temperance and carrot as will as stick approach, i feel a bit of a fool for doing so now.
    So to save me from the boredom of having to read the same veined stuff in every thread, and feeling personal pity for someone who must have issues to keep on this constant approach I've ignored him. I advise anyone else bored of it to do the same as anyone with half a brain, new and old players alike can see what his mission is and in truth he's just wasting his time posting and ours reading....

Sara Dreygon and Montaigne like this.
  13. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Your thoughts are your own and you're entitled. Of course, all your desired goal creates is an everything's fine, situation normal echo chamber. That won't help you, or anyone, in the long term. Do consider that and be well.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  14. Numa

Numa Avatar

Cite one thread on these forums that shows the characteristics of an echo chamber. All the threads on my watchlist have several critical posts embedded in the thread. I know the signs well - it's one of the reasons I left Star Citizen.

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Definitely cabin fever if we get a discussion about a mini banner campaign.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't think anyone is saying it like 'all is well', more like 'all is not done'. I am definitely one who is hoping for much more and I truly believe we will be getting much so much more and will it be the kind of things some will be satisfied with perhaps not in all cases.

I know you are hanging in there to see what happens. All these years are a really long time to invest in something to not see what happens. It is like watching a movie or reading a book and just having to see the ending even though the book or movie was not the best or most interesting you've ever read. So again I say all is not done, and yes for sure we must voice our thoughts on what needs to be improved, fixed, added, changed, done over, and adjusted. Over and Over, and Over again until it is heard.

Disapproval with no constructive fiber in post after post will not be heard, it will keep being shut down. What matters from now on is that we do with what we've got.

I am a broken record for SOTA to be great. I don't belittle the progress, I cheer for the future of this game in the disappointments and the achievements. I refuse to waver, and what good does that do? Anyone can leave and come back anyway if they chose when they see the miracle.

[​IMG]
    This is Shroud of the Avatar and this in the Shroud of the Avatar Development Team.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  17. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Read my reply more slowly. The guy wants me to leave the forum. My response is, "... all your desired goal creates is an everything's fine, situation normal echo chamber..." ie: remove people who think differently and it becomes one.

18. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

The problem with that is people are far too soft. Like the bloke, recently, who agreed crafting was absolutely stuffed but was saying, "But, hey the devs have a year to fix it..." A year? A year?!? No, they really don't have a year.

I don't know whether it's a desire to impress the devs, feel they have a relationship with Richard, get one of those medals that get handed out from time to time or whatever it is, but many people here seem scared to state the obvious.

I could state the obvious here, on this line, and know in my heart of hearts that it's the absolute truth... yet what good would it do? Some of you would outright deny it, others would block me, etc. That's really worrying behaviour.

It's one thing to want the game to succeed. It's totally another to switch off reality when discussing it, which is what so many do. You aren't one of them, Majoria, so I'm sorry these words are in reply to you, but you know what I mean.

Sir_Hemlock, Pickley and rednought like this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

Read his reply to you very carefully. It's ok to be different here - the problem isn't that you make a lot of negative comments about SOTA. It's the fact that you seem to think the situation is hopeless. So again - why are you still here Canterbury ?

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Never trust people that proclaim they know the very truth of something if they aren't directly involved into the process.

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.