Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

sigh ....

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Xi_, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, the forums usually give you heads up about about this the week before the event.

Go to a few and you'll meet a lot of cool people. Go adventuring with them :)

Once you start playing co-operatively it really helps change the way you feel about the pre-alphas, from focusing on their defects to imagining what we are going to be able to achieve together.

2. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I read a bit of these forums and knew nothing of those things either. I just do my best to log in and stay logged in (it never happens long enough to participate in anything anyway). There are cliques, and guilds, so unless you're a groupie, you're on your own. ;)

Moonshadow likes this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

Sorry to hear about your connection issues. I suffer through at least 40 crashes loading scenes every release, so...

You don't have to be a part of any of the guilds to enjoy the events they hold. I'm not into guilds either.

But I certainly respect the organized guilds that have put on these events for us and spent their alpha time building community and doing thankless things like waiting for 50 people to trade them a broken torch :)

Duke Greagoir and Winfield PaxLair, Duke Violation and the Violation crew, and Mul Girtab and the Bear Tavern gang, they've really helped create a lot of community.

Next release, seek them out and do the welcome quest. Go to the PvP event even just as a spectator. That way you get a better feel for what this game will be instead of running around plains by yourself .

Khloec, majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If you can, try the IRC chat, there are normally lots of helpful people in there.

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

Connection or performance issues may have nothing to do with the game, and more to do with your ISP or your hardware configuration or driver currency.

If most others are having a good experience with no crashes or connection problems, in fact, I would doubt that you are describing a game problem.

Kaisa likes this.
  6. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

We have 3 PCs with different configurations, Radeon and NVIDIA graphics cards.

So tell me, out of our combined 75+ games, more than half of which we play online, and some of them together, which ones are doing things differently than SotA? Because not a single one crashes on our configuration.

Our network has checked out perfectly fine.

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

All three hardware configurations have a problem?

The only common parameter then is your network configuration. Either your local network or your ISP. The fact that 3 different hardware configurations all exhibit the same symptoms for you and not for others strikes me as very suspicious.

Kaisa and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

maybe it is SoTA and not your machines or network but it's not like your issue is very widespread. I've never seen it, and there are a ton of people playing for many hours every release, so I think you are in the minority.

It is pre-alpha, not release. So yeah It sucks and I'm sure it contributes to your negative attitude towards the game because you can't experience the fun side the rest of us are, but it is one of those things that is to be expected during development.

Have you even tried a different router ? You may say I shouldn't need to, but it could be valuable information to the team...

Kaisa likes this.
  9. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Have you read the bug reports and performance issues in those threads? We are certainly not alone.

And Owain, how do we run other games online if our network is the problem?

We were both able to log on just fine until R2. After that, never again. It coincided with their multiplayer interface. But even then, we can't stay connected to single player either.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

I assume you are running on an network switch. Have you tried running just one of your computers directly to your cable modem (or however you get your internet) to see if maybe you can isolate the problem? If one or all your computers run properly with a direct connection, your network switch/router is at fault. You might need to do some port configuration optimizations to make things work correctly.

Something to try.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  11. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Sorry, I won't buy a new router when ours is less than a year old and works perfectly with other online games. I won't buy yet another router just to test an alpha game.

I'd think posting the bug report with the configuration we have now should be sufficient for them to do their job.

My attitude has nothing to do with not being able to log into the game. I usually shrug it off after trying several times and go on to do other things.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Routers are not expensive things these days. You could also borrow one from a friend for a day during a release. If you really want to solve this problem for yourself so you can play, why wouldn't you try that ? What if you help everyone else with the same problem, because i know there is at least one other person that has reported this issue... what if it is some kind of weird issue with certain routers. BTW, what IS your router make and model ? this may help someone else.

I think taking the "my way or the highway" approach to an in development game is not going to yield you the result you want, to have some joy playing this game. Obviously you do want that or you would have quit long ago right ?

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

You don't have to buy a new router to test the theory. If the game runs properly with a direct connect that doesn't go through your router, then your router is at fault, not SotA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.