Simple fixes and feedback for free trial advert.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrBlight, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

While im not exactly sure how successful the free trial has been, and the comments on some other sites about it are rough i belive theres some useful points ( aswell as some of my own ) you should really adjust imo.
    Ill try to keep this as moderate as i can? ( also im on mobile so bad formatting just comes with the post )

1 - The advertisememt itself and the list of features.
    Right now its a big list of things you can't do. Could you not summarize? *Limited npc and player vendor interaction.*
    *Restricted access to property management and permisions *
    *inability to flag for open pvp * ( why even mention the ransom point as the line above it makes it irrelivent ?)
    2nd last n 3rd last line can be summarized in one shorter line..

Simply re wording this, and summarizing the *negatives* would make the game seem less limited.. seems like things are written 2ce.

2 - no positives?
    Maybe put * Unrestricted access to adventure and fight in all current zones! *
    * A look at the begining of the ever growing world, and the player designed towns ! *
    * Unrestricted skill and deck design, for a chance to try all play styles! *
    Suddenly your add isnt a big list of limitations.

3 - Why restrict forum access?
    The game has bugs and issues. Even if you ignore all the comments, compatibility issues and feedback from more people could omly help your performance bug coders no?
    And secondly on that point.. this game is so very much not new user friendly. Limiting questions for people who are taking time to go to official forums, is just hurting yourself imo.

4 - related to 3.
    Over and over agian ive pointed out how rough the first sit down is with SoTa. I lost 1/3rd of buddies in the first hour getting stuck in the tutorial. This seriously needs to be addressed. The lack of access to help for a starting player is brutal.
    Where you want to go with this, as there has been many suggestions before, is up to you.
    Personally i think there needs to be a summarized help window at start. Whether it explains skills or decks or movement or interaction or everything. The game is simply not new player friendly, and that first hour makes and breaks sooo many people from even giving it a chance. Especially when it comes to free access, not alot of people will take time to look at outside sources. ( really liked idea of a starter guild, as even the fact theres no global chat ( tho /zone is something people miss) is brought up ). I think that should be re addressed.

A Visitors Handbook - and a tooltip at start directing you to it.
    A good written up starting write up including the limitations and a welcome mesdage ? ( maybe u did this im not sure )

5 - PvP expectations need to be clear.

Yes yes pvpers r the devil. The reality is the largest games out there are PvP.
    ( League of Legends, Star Craft ) etc etc. A good chunk of players only olay games to play against other players either right from the start, or at the end.
    I think it really needs to be clear that reaching the point to PvP ( at least enjoyably ) takes a lot of time and devotion. I think a lack of mention of this might turn a lot of people off. Yes i know the early access says no pvp, but people trying it out and going * okay neat, ill get this skill and this skill and go pvp * so they buy the game. Instantly you have someone feeling decieved. Due to the fact ( least i see it) as the free account limitation of no pvp, is only reason they cant jump right in.
    Whether you do this in the visitor handbook or somewherr else, i think itd be good info to supply, even right from tutorial.

Because lets be honest. If i try this game, think the free access is only thing stopping me from pvping in all those pvp zones, and i pledge. Jump in one and realize its not level based, or fairly matched up or arena or anything.. i would instantly be livid.
    ( yes you can point out it says *open world pvp * but now its jist anothrr lost player due to the fine print )

6 -
    Maybe a completion of features still yet to come shown somewhere.

More unique zones.
    Polished and furfilling quests.
    Guild wars and keep battles.
    Unique bosses and mobs.
    Wider variety of player crafted gear.
    Bla bla
    Maybe the stuff we all take for granted for havinv been here since the start, knowing whats coming and such, more availible to see for the free access. Without them having to dig through forums and patch notes. ( the last few releases have been great, promote whats coming for sure a little ! )

7 - Communication

I think it should be made clear to visitors that there are monthly updates with features and content influenced and assisted by the feedback of the community. Make sure its inviting so it doesnt seem like your obligated to be dev +. Maybe make it clear your interested and happy to hear feedback from their expriances to better the game.

Note : maybe after 24 hours on free access a box comes up to summarize first impressions and feedback. Offer 500g for completion.
    Then agian for 1000g after 72 hour or something. That would be great, aswell as any player planning on sticken around will appreciate it.

8 - House access.
    Your online store makes it seem like cotos, lot deeds and houses are all this must be bought from store items.
    *Housing and propety deeds can be aquired from players in game for in game gold, raffles, or for purchase on the game store! Stay tuned for Renting aswell!*
    Oh snap suddenly it doesnt seem like you HAVE to dump 100 bucks in to own property. ( i havnt spent a dime on property on store yet own many deeds. And im a filthy casual these days )
    Also mention the best gear is player made. So many comments about how you need founder gear for pvp or some crap.
    This kinda ties in with making a Visitors guide to sota, in game i suppose. Agian, free game having to look at outside sources = instant impatient player loss.

9 - important one!
    Update the damn tooltips and game descriptions!!!!!@!
    Its been brought up so many times. Seriously. The description on steam. The first message when you login. The FAQ. Comeon guys, it should take 20 min for someone to go in and adjust the texts!

I think a lot of this might help the success of the game. And im sure theres more but im tired n that turned into a lot for mobile.

Something something about the fact you guys also have a good RP crew. And i know Andar writes short stories for fun for the SoTa community. I feel like that area doesnt get enough attention. ( think you should at least do a shout out in telethon )

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Tamsen, Kaisa, majoria70 and 13 others like this.
  2. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

Good points about the advert, I thought much the same reading the email announcement. I considered sharing it with friends who might be interested in the game, but decided against as the game in its current form it would be more likely to put them off and I'm not in a position to help ease them in right now.

I think half your points were about the new player experience rather than the trial as such, those are also things that need to be addressed but some are difficult while the game is experiencing big changes from month to month. That still should be made clear in the promotion though.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

As a compromise, maybe there could be a Visitors section of the forum that allow them to give First Impressions/Feedback, file Bug Reports, ask questions, get answers to questions about the game,etc. This, I believe, would really be a much more inviting environment for potential players, and may help convince them to purchase the game.

As far as a tutorial, maybe an in-game interactive resource for new(and veteran) players. Call it The SOTA Compendium, and have it list general categories, with subcategories which all lead to more detailed information via hyper-links. Also, make this guide searchable. In this manner, players can get answers to nearly any game related topic. This could also be added to or edited over time to reflect new content and changes.

4. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Great points, thanks for listing these for us to consider! We can work on adjusting many of these right away, like what's on Steam.

5. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

6. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I agree. I just feel the new player experiance is equally if not the most important part of the free access.
    Could be the best advertisements in the world, but theres some major starting issues preventing people from staying. I feel its all relevent.

Barugon and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

@Lord British i think the time you took to go over some stuff on reddit was a good idea, regardless of my opinion of most the people there.
    I hope you continue to read non official based forums once in a while, as if you ignore the trolling, there ARE some good catchs and suggestions in them.
    Im glad to hear your still personally invested in SoTa and that it seems its still the mission to make Sota a great game.

Vaentorian, Barugon and Cordelayne like this.
  9. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Why no offline mode?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.