So the new quest designer is from another MMORPG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I think it's a win win situation. If Puuk comes in and bring the state of the art questing system, we can be all happy forever after. Otherwise, we would have something new to complain every Friday night as usual.

2. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

Woo hoo! Welcome Puuk (gosh I thought it was Punk, glad I changed that :D:D)

Really glad you are here, quests are my thing, baby, so very happy you are on board!

Let those creative juices flow ....

3. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Hail @Puuk , did you have any part in fallout 1 and 2 by chance? Even fallout 3 had some great quests tbh. Wasteland survival guide was pretty epic.

Also, don't let anyone stifle your creativity here. You're free to do as you wish, and honestly everyone should be thankful for having you on board, not preemptively judging you based on one title you worked on..

That said, welcome!

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Indeed.
    Though the ending of the unrevised version was rather terrible.

5. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

Hi! So what did you do at Black Isle? Not just what game you worked on, but what did you design in those games?

Lord_Darkmoon likes this.
  6. mercster

mercster Avatar

I hope he implements more MMO quests because, this is a game with an MMO mode that severely needs more MMO-style quests. Thank you for your time. Thanks @Puuk ! Even super-awesome sandbox/story driven/bastardized games like this one needs some quests for people to do. Not everything needs to be an epic novel ;-)

7. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I totally disagree - and the promise of an epic story was part of the Kickstarter campaign. So I think 'Not everything needs ...' is the wrong term. 'Not everybody needs ... ' fits better ;)

8. mercster

mercster Avatar

I didn't say the game couldn't have the epic story, I'm saying it can have stuff OTHER than epic story. Otherwise you're just being unreasonable in your expectations AND your willingness to have a game that more than a white-hot core of Ultima 7 fans can enjoy.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Sator Faryn and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

"Epic stories" take time.

Sator Faryn and jammaplaya like this.
  10. mercster

mercster Avatar

My first Ultima game was Ultima 5. I must have played that game for many more thousands of hours than I have SotA so far. Spanned multiple years. You know how many times I prayed at a shrine? Not once. The side-quests and just wandering around, doing random stuff to/for people, was what I enjoyed about that game.

I realize people want an epic story. That's fine. I want random side-quests that you may find "boring" or "non-epic". I can't think of an Ultima game that didn't have side-quests that weren't epic, and if there was, it was probably one of the poorer ones.

EDIT: Go watch someone speed-run Ultima5 or Ultima7, WITHOUT cheats. It's a pathetic amount of content if you stick ONLY to the "epic story". Little things matter, and side quests add flavor and exploration to the game, to say nothing of giving something people to DO while grinding or otherwise not actively involved in the main quests.

11. BigCountry

BigCountry Avatar

I will compare this to the Cleveland Browns drafting tomorrow night. I mean there is nothing really to lose here. Puuk will rock it out. We have like what, 3-4 "working" quest lines in this game total? It's a pretty low bar, he will do just fine lol :D

Mykll, Sator Faryn and mercster like this.
  12. mercster

mercster Avatar

Oh, totally agreed, it's only upwards and onwards from here. We're just doing the obligatory forum PvP. Kind of a SIDE-QUEST, if you catch my meaning...ha ha ha. ;)

Sator Faryn and LoneStranger like this.
  13. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

What I have said was totally reasonable, try to read it again. Anyway - I have no interest in personal bickering and therefore you will not get any further responses from me about my statement.

Ice Queen, Sir_Hemlock and mercster like this.
  14. mercster

mercster Avatar

@Sir Cabirus I meant "you" as the royal "you", not you personally pal ;-) Let's come at it from another angle. Are you interested in ONLY the single player story-mode, or do you have any interest in participating in the multiplayer aspect of SotA?

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  15. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

My interests are the story and the single player offline aspects. But I like also to play SotA together with some other people from time to time. But my focus is the story. A MMO needs time. Time I doesn't have - I have too many other interests and games are only a part of this. One need to play very often, otherwise your MMO friends make more progress and as a low level character you are more a burden than a help ;-).

16. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

I QA'd Planescape: Torment. I was in charge/designed Severed Hand in Icewind Dale 2 (I did ~75% of what goes on in there). And did a lot of design docs for what would have been Fallout 3 (Van Buren). The latter of which you can view at http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Van_Buren_design_documents.

17. mercster

mercster Avatar

Ok, right...and so it would make sense that you want all of the development time to focus on these aspects...and that desire is fair, as long as you ALSO recognize that there is a whole MMO aspect that also needs taken care of, and that this deepest desire is, alas, unattainable. As unattainable as if I wished they'd drop single-player altogether and focus solely on multiplayer. Side-quests that aren't part of the "epic story" are an obvious part of this. You may never see this content (of your own choosing), but that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be done.

Can you imagine there are people who play this game only to socialize and decorate houses! :) It is, however burdensome, to strive for a game that makes so many people happy for so many reasons.

That was my only point. In fact our first interaction was on point. I stated that I want more side-quests that need not be epic in nature. You disagreed. Quite right! :) My focus of the game is almost entirely different from yours. It's a design decision they've made, to cater to these two play styles; it is neither of our fault, just the way things have turned out. I want you to have your epic single-player story-driven quests. I am only asking that you also understand that other stuff, like frivolous non-epic quests, are (like it or lump it) a factor in this game becoming successful, so that you can continue to enjoy the epic story. :) And again by "you", I mean anyone who feel that non-epic quests are not a good use of development time. You can ignore non-epic side-quests and still have your story; I cannot play the game unless there is something other than the epic story quests to do.
    Ahhh...I am only level 52 (I'm saving my serious play-time for when the game, including epic quests, are finished). It didn't take any time at all, and if you have good friends, your company will never be a burden. I can introduce you to some fun-loving folks, if you'd be interested!

EDITS: Type no gud.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Oh the REAL Fallout 3.
    Ah darn..... i know it won't get us anywhere but i really really really wished that game would have been produced.
    I was waiting for it...like...forever ^^ and the we got Fallout 3.....the wrong one ^^

Rada Torment likes this.
  19. mercster

mercster Avatar

I only got as far as Fallout 2....sounds like I didn't miss much.

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Bethesdas's FO 3 sucked untill they pretty much redid the complet ending. Now its a valid game.
    FO New Vegas is epic. I can only recommend it. It's the spiritual heir to FO 1 and 2 and has a direct connection to both games, wich 3 and 4 don't have.
    FO 4 is possibly the worst FO ever produced.
    To sum it up: Bethesda has problems to come up with a good story and setting as soon as they try to spin their own story from the IP.
    If they fall back to the story from 1 and 2, its pretty epic.

mercster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.