So the new quest designer is from another MMORPG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercster

mercster Avatar

Ahhh, that sounds awesome. If I decide to play, I'll dig into that one then. Thanks!

2. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

Fallout: New Vegas was done by my friends over at Obsidian, many of whom are former BIS folks, including some who worked on the original Fallout games.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

And i dearly hope they will be allowed to do the next Fallout part.
    Alas, as far as the internet roumors go, they won't :-(

Puuk likes this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Fallout New Vegas is one of my favourite games. The characters in this game have such a deep and complex personality, the dialoges are spot on and the quests are really great, complex and exciting as well as funny. Hopefully SotA will come close :)

5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Welcome @Puuk... that sounds hilarious to say!

Anyway, I hope you won't feel constrained by the progress of the game so far. Be bold in your creativity and what you ask for... better to wait for an A+ than to resign ourselves to a D.

6. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Hello !

Please kill 10 rats in a MM... erh...

[​IMG]

...single-player narrative game ?

@Lord_Darkmoon

7. mercster

mercster Avatar

HAHAAAAA...see there!! :D

8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This surely was implemented to mock MMORPG-fans ;)

9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

So that leads us to the important question... is @Puuk pronounced "PUKE" or "PUCK" ?

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Vyrin like this.
  10. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I think I know someone who has the answer

[​IMG]
    Hey Bro !

ps : Your avatar is funny @Puuk

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Puuk like this.
  11. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

It is pronounced "puke." Long story short: It goes back to my BIS days when we would play D&D to test out game design ideas for (what would have been) Baldur's Gate 3. My character was a dim, powerful, yet very wise half-orc fighter named Puuk - Blagma Puuk of the Puuk clan, to be precise. I really liked the character and used him in other D&D games, too. I used the name in the BIS forums, as well.

12. mercster

mercster Avatar

Charming! Welcome! ;-)

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Interesting read:
    https://wolcengame.com/work-in-progress-quests-system/

"You probably feel like me on this : Wolcen current quests are not that cool. They are too short and not very interesting, and that’s not what we want you to experience. We want the open-world to be challenging, rewarding and immersive, and this usually comes with solid quests that bring you hours of fun gameplay without repeating themselves too much. Such quests surely are a challenge to script, but we also needed a robust system that would be easy to maintain and to debug, because quests bugs can be really annoying and quite hard to fix. "

"As an example, now that I write those lines we have 10 fully functional sub-goals that when combined together create a simple task (go there, talk to someone, kill those enemies without leaving the area, gather items, interact with this object within the given time, etc.) associated with 32 unique event types that rule what happens on screen (spawning that monster here, moving this entity, playing a specific music or animation, switching gameplay parameters, changing weather, etc.) and that can be triggered in 13 different ways (entering an area, failing a goal, killing somebody, waiting too much time, etc.), so when mixing them all we get a ton of possible objectives, not forgetting that the layout of the world itself also plays a role in how the situation must be handled, like the terrain disposition or the positioning of doors and obstacles. And since the system is now developed and functional, we regularly add new events types and goals types when we need them, within a few minutes."

"We want the playthrough to be immersive and dynamic, with always something happening on screen, and we believe sequences will help in that direction. Of course, never-ending action also mean tough fights, and we plan on improving the game a lot in that way, with scenarized areas of the open-world and coherent enemies, and a lot of hidden secondary quests that lead you to interesting places and rare rewards."

14. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

That isn't quite true - I just want the same attention and devotion from the developers for the single player offline and story aspect as they have for the other game modes and aspects :)

Yes I can. I'm neither your foe nor the foe of the MMO part lovers only because my focus lies on other aspects of the game. I played several MMOs over the years, I was the leader of a Guild Wars guild for 5 years for example. I performed three regular events each week to satisfy my guild comrades, I designed and moderated a forum for the guild, I was responsible to hold the guild together and to mediate disputes of the members. Believe me, this was a very funny and satisfying but also time consuming part of my live. Too time consuming at the end. I neglected my wife, my children and my many other hobbies during this years and now my MMO time is definitely over.

So I'm surely not a lonely man with no friends who is hiding behind an old DOS based computer game called Ultima 7 ;) In fact I'm a very social person and like to be together with other people and my many friends. The only difference is that I do this now only in real live and I have my reasons for this.

[​IMG]

And I'm still a huge Richard Garriott fan - despite my concerns about the state of SotA. I met him last year on his property in Austin and Richard is a very friendly and complaisant man. Above you can see a picture of my wife, Richard and me.

I think this is just a misunderstanding. Maybe it's my fault - I'm a German and my English is surely in need of improvement ;) What I wanted to express is that I think that this game needs an epic story but not everyone of the players needs an epic story.

Dantuin, Vyrin, Mykll and 6 others like this.
  15. mercster

mercster Avatar

Yeah man, must have been a miscommunication; all I did was ask for more MMO-style quests. Not to the exclusion of the "epic story". Heck, I would think that @Lum the Mad and whoever else is already hired had the "epic story" covered; for them to hire a quest guy at this point, I would assume they would be doing more non-essential, MMO-style stuff. Even if you aren't happy with the current state of the "epic storyline", you must agree that we have even less "fluff" to keep people busy, for grinding purposes, etc.

16. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Random side quests are not exclusive to MMO grind, they have a very important function in single player - to give alts a different experience and get you to explore the map away from where you have been exploring.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Radiant

I especially enjoyed 'get the magic books for the orc librarian' quests because it has been different every time I played.

Often on Skryim playthrus once I have done both branches of the main quests, my alts will only do Radiant Quests.

Kambrius and mercster like this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thanks for the link yarnevk. I do sincerely think that once all the zillions of things still being worked on for the MMO part of the game are in a good state that focus can come to the single player. If I were waiting for it I'm sure I would be impatient too ;). I don't think the offline game should just be a copy of the online game. To be good it will need special attention which it is really not getting that much atm. I can understand why, but it does not help to give patience to those who are waiting for just the single player. I have enjoyed offline games very much in the past. I still appreciate any aspects we can get into the MMO portion of this game that have the offline feel as we can get.

I am really a 'I want it all" type of thinking, but I know it may not be totally possible but I can hope for a system for the MMO as well that keeps people coming back. The NUE feedback is amazing and really bringing up how disconnected and disjointed the world is. One city's NPC's don't know what's going on anywhere, not around them or in distant places, and they don't know what we are talking about so much of the time ;) That seems a lot of work to let them all know.

It would be fantastic if there was a system that told them all things, like all npcs know about the castles, the oracle etc and that each npc without manually having to add data to their memory to be told these things. that seems it would take forever and leaves the game missing conversations that are meaningful interesting, and informative etc. If the NPC doesn't know that is one thing. They can still refer you to someone else who can refer you to someone else until you get to the correct person who might know.

Sator Faryn likes this.
  18. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

That would be like Morrowind which had shared conversations amongst NPC. It is one of the advantages in not having voiced speech. There was a mod that trimmed it down so that not everybody knew everything because Bethesda was a bit lazy in assigning who gets to know what, as well as hiding it if you just asked about it (which sometimes you need but put that in a 'what did you say' or a log scroller)

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I like the hiding thought and perhaps they are telling you a lie even or not telling you because they don't trust you enough and want you to prove it to them.

20. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I would hope that even if they hire someone who worked on anything else,we would give them a chance. I highly doubt they are turning any new hire totally free to do anything without some amount of oversight in the short term. We need to give him a break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.