Solitary, Far-Off Housing Plots

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by ReleeSquirrel, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReleeSquirrel

ReleeSquirrel Avatar

I'd like to make a suggestion, for solitary, far-off housing plots. Currently we'll only have houses in cities, towns and villages. I'd like to see two more kinds of plots. Single roadside plots and single wilderness plots.

When I first got into MMOs, I often fancied the idea of operating an inn in the wilderness, supplying players with a place to rest, buy some health potions and other basic items, and roleplay if they desired. I'm not able to play like that anymore, but there are tons of people who share that fantasy. One of the primary forms of roleplaying in modern MMOs like World of Warcraft takes place in the many NPC taverns, where players gather and play pretend and plot adventures and tell stories. I think it would be fantastic to let players actually own inns like these on the roads between towns.

As an alternative version, what about players owning and modifying static buildings? There could be roadside inns that are always in the game, and perhaps even have quest NPCs and rooms for homeless players to sleep, as has been discussed. But, players can also buy the inn, and decorate it, and take profits from the sales. It wouldn't change much, but it would give players the opportunity to personalize the inns they'll certainly be roleplaying in anyways.

As well as roadside inns, I'd love to see solitary plots in the wilderness. Some could be a simple hermit's hut, but others could be a wizard's refuge or a bandit's lair! Being a wizard with my own wizard tower in the wilds is a fantasy of mine in every MMO. Of course they had towers in UO, but they were always surrounded by other buildings.

I hope you like this idea!

Lord ByTor, Ferrus, Mingo and 8 others like this.
  2. Viper0hr

Viper0hr Avatar

I like the idea of having like a small village or a distant inn or home every once and a while.

jondavis likes this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Personally I'd love it if my guild could have a small priory out in the middle of nowhere.. or just off to the side in some quiet place.

TenoMeric and jondavis like this.
  4. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I feel this is a good place to bring up Iolo's hut. He lived out in the wilderness, by himself, not in a town or village. Then there were the lumberjacks.. Outside Yew, and Minoc, there was always the man who enjoyed a solitary life, just taking the trip into the village for provisions, or to sell his wares. The Devs talk about how important the value of housing in towns and villages will be because it's limited, and all I'm thinking is that I wouldn't live in a city if you paid me! So what are you providing for the lumberjacks and solitary thoreau-esque nature lovers?

Ferrus, Corazon and Lankas Brookbird like this.
  5. Donbo

Donbo Avatar

Very interesting idea, only thing I'd be worried about is PvP.
    Couple brainless orcs or goblins I can deal with trying to ransack my cabin.
    Group of organized players not so much.

6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Uzume and Miracle Dragon like this.
  7. Renegade51

Renegade51 Avatar

I never thought of it before but that idea of owning the Inn is awesome
    It'd also be kind of cool if you or a bunch of other players could create a new village in the game

8. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

I generally dont see the problem with houses outside of cities. Just dont implement it the way they did in UO und SWG where you can place houses everywhere.

all over the world there should be places where you can place "some" houses. For example a crossroad with 10 plots or a nice space somewhere in the woods for 3-5 small houses and so on.. If you want to play a little "sinister guild" it will be much cooler to live somewhere in the nowhere :D

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  9. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I like these ideas too. It is honestly difficult for me to decide if I want a mansion in a town/city or wilderness like you describe.

Either way, as an adventurer, I would like to see a player run inn on the side of the road (as long as its not like UO where every piece of land everywhere is houses).

Maybe a Lord could have both, a town or city home with a small outpost in the wilderness etc.

10. Sanctius

Sanctius Avatar

I think remote locations would become novelty properties for the wealthy. I'd love to own my own remote getaway, a summer cottage but would still rather live in the city.

11. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Solitary houses in deep forest or any other wild location are cool, but with the dual map system I think they just want to create locations in city/towns for that.

12. Grimkor

Grimkor Avatar

Maybe if every hex was like 2 square km, and there was only 1 house plot on each hex?

13. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Well, that's what I was thinking too, but the hexes across most of the map are going to be sort of randomized. When you enter a scene, you get one of 16 or so tiles assigned to that hex. One of the 16 might have a special encounter. If you put a player house in that hex, it pins it down and would not allow the random scene, or the special encounter. My impression was that they don't want to do that.

14. Grimkor

Grimkor Avatar

Yeah, unfortunately there are many issues that come up the further you get from the village/town/city housing model. I dont really see wilderness housing working

Sir Frank KC likes this.
  15. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

This, unfortunately, is one of the problems with the dual-scale map system. I'm a fan of the system, but in a game where people want to create communities with other players it can create a challenge for those that don't want to live in the crowded spaces where housing is allowed. In a mono-scale map like you see in the average MMO today you can do this kind of housing and it works out well, but the dual-scale map makes it a bit unrealistic to implement. However if they found a way to work it then it would be great.

16. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Exactly. Do you still think it's a good idea when there is little chance that you'll ever own one? That will be the situation for most players of the game. I see so many suggestions for rare commodities by people that think they'll get one. In reality, most people won't, including those who make the suggestion.

Tarsilion likes this.
  17. stile

stile Avatar

Id like to see some far away housing. I know that yeah, I have a house coming. Chances are though it will be used to help the guild in some manner though, will only be partially private and partially public (exact mixes depending on game mechanics). Im going to want a place out of the way somewhere when I can manage to get one, where I can go craft in quiet once in a while, or swim in piles of gold or some such. Although im sure there will be villages that don't see a lot of traffic, and the like, so that's always an option as a remote spot. not as nice as a little hut in a swamp somewhere though.

18. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Somewhere you can brew Mountain Dew in secret. I hear what you're saying.

19. stile

stile Avatar

*grins an nods* I figure the demand will be high, but I cant let the brewing secrets be known.

20. Desertyeti

Desertyeti Avatar

Somewhere in the desert near the Az/Mexico border.
    Not sure how I would feel about that. Loved the idea of being able to put my house just about anywhere in UO, but then my nice remote spots always turned into sprawling neighborhoods. What if they snuck in a few places across new Britannia in the wilderness that would have to be discovered? First come, first serve. Once these "secret" spots were discovered, they're gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.