Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SoS PvP !!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Abydos, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Хорошо сказано...:cool:

To me it's the "instance" that has drawbacks within PvP dominated scenes. I've seen times when I can't see another player because they are in another "instance" but in the same scene.

I also believe that PvP is dispersed by their own unwillingness to bond together into challenging factions of guilds. "We have too many guilds" and they are all doing their own thing. Guilds are nothing more than a tag over any player's head, so I don't see the importance or need of any loyalty to them. I see loyalty to PvP, yet none loyal to it enough to bond together and make it more meaningful of what is loyal. Thus loyalty to scattered tags over our heads takes precedence over our loyalty to PvP.

Thus far the major PvP bonding has been within our championship fights as individual competitors, yet what we do not have is the choosing up of 2 different sides with all PvP players where we can have a PvP war between them.

All the needed gaming mechanics are there for this to happen, yet it's those silly egos and silly loyalties within the many scattered guild tags that get in our way to war.
    ~Time Lord~o_O

Tibs and DancingShade like this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

No reason to PvP.

Many people just play friends only whilst gathering and levelling. I think multiplayer and PvP is well a truly and end game feature in SotA.......no incentive.

airroncam, DancingShade and Time Lord like this.
  3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Guild wars anyone? Chance would be a fine thing...... Having to locate the guild leaders to start one....... It is just a broken system.

Should be a simple invite from the guild menu system.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I love how some people are completely counter-productive when it comes to trying to prove Points to their favour and in reality its completely other way around.

NONE of the insanely popular PvP Games out there offer you something for pvping.

LoL, CS, Dota, Starcraft, WoW ... These are the pvp games which fits in the category of massive games, and you do not get ANYTHING except rank ( IF you play competative, if you decide not to, you get NOTHING ).

I am not saying that PvP in SOTA is fine... But neither is Economy, Crafting, Group contents or housing. YET.

E A R L Y - A C C E S S

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The math doesn't add up. What you are saying to add is something that will divide. The incentive you are asking for is actually the risk not the reward... since SotA is finding it difficult to find players who want to take the risks involved to PvP, why advocate for an increased risk at this point? The point is that people are not PvPing. If people are not PvPing then why would these full loot guys want to play this game? Even with full loot what is the point if at this point people aren't even willing to risk a ransom?

Tibs, Time Lord and DancingShade like this.
  6. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Problem is the game lacks players already and is slowly dying.

We need more sandbox content. Pve building is good but only with a wallet... rest of the game lacks content. I dont see any pve
    Guild cities building coming anytime soon.
    Pots destroyed this.

PVP content is possible. Devs will announce sth soon from what I got from the post mortem. Stay tuned.

I said this earlier. SotA is a PVP game now as all the PVE assets became a cash store thing. Just stay tuned for their ideas.

7. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

It could just be that PVP isn't as popular a play style as some people think.

Or that PVPers are waiting for combat & skills to be more polished to enable a more balanced and competitive playfield.

If you're looking for a "who's the best player" competition then using a first pass alpha combat system is never going to give you a definitive answer. I imagine that most competitively minded players would be aware of that and are simply waiting for a later time.

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

More that they came and left or didn't come in the first place based upon feedback from those who did.

SotA is slowly turning into an over moderated walking simulator.........i',m just waiting for Portalarium to prove me wrong.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

really? I don't see the evidence of that anywhere. If anything it quickly took off after final wipe. from what is viewable from steam charts alone is that before the final wipe the daily average max number of players never really went beyond 100, and on steam alone they are averaging over 400 per day every day (without being mass marketed). That isn't counting the stand alone client. I dont' have access to any other statistics except for the money raised which as of today is at $10.1mil now about 4 months ago they were in the 8 millions. So they made over 2million in the past few months and the project has only raised 10.1 million total since 2013? They are also hiring new employees which is another indicator of expansion not the other way around.

Maybe there are other more subtle indicators that are clearly showing sota is slowly declining into oblivion. I'm just not able to see it. Now that could very well be because I'm not looking at the right information, or I'm biased and don't have a big picture view and I think I do. Very possible! However if this game is "slowly dying" please explain how this has anything to do with PvP... for the sake of staying on topic?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

It took off at the final wipe then hit a plateau, it will now very slowly decline unless something exciting happens in development. Yeah they raised $10m but you will discover that the average pledge per player is still increasing rather than decreasing........indicator to say it's the same people funding the game.

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

In my opinion the majority of the pvp'rs left the game already. The game has not been paying attention to pvp for some time. Sure there has been scheduled events but for many that is not what they came for. When port starts taking pvp seriously in development some of them might come back. The new influx of people still have the rose colored glasses effect for now as the game is beautiful and shows promise. But faith in a game can only hold out for so long. Some of us have been waiting for years. Some could not wait that long.

Abydos and Time Lord like this.
  12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I would agree with that assessment because the dwindling player thing is true in every game that doesn't yet have something sustainable and ongoing in place, (seems there will likley be some dwindling in the next few months until they can get to a place where they can market the game and work on episode 2).

However that isn't relevant in a pvp thread excpet to possibly divert the subject away from the topic. Why I'm not sure? These pvp threads do that because nobody agrees and when good evidence is provided one way or another, rather than try to seek the truth together, we deviate away from the topic to muddy the watters so that people will forget what was said that doesn't help the deviator's argument.

We can take a quote out of context from the last dev chat... Richard made a comment that he shoots down chris's ideas and chris shoots down his ideas. Now we can take that one statment "without even knowing the ideas they are shooting", and we can make up our own belief system regarding that statment.

Why do I mention that? It is black and white. Us vs them. You vs me. ... and it is one sentance taken out of context that might not mean what we want to assume it means... In any case we have the issue of one idea is right another is wrong, but talking about stuff that isn't relevant doesn't alter anything nor does it add any solutions. I'm not so convinced there is a right or wrong. There is profitable and unprofitable. There are good concepts and there are good implementations and the two might not agree.

So do we acomplish something through arguing strongly from our own ridgid position? I suppose we can come to some sort of compromise, but isn't that like a war where everybody gets so tired of killing and being killed that we are all just want to quit but are to proud to admit it, so we pretend to make peace and we call it a truce. There is no truces in war, just people who are tired of blowing stuff up because it doesn't make sense wasting "resources" on continuing the battle because the reward does not outway the risk. I don't know I think I'm repeating myself over and over. I'll stop.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

They need a steady flow of new players, which will not generate really until a true release is done and advertising kicks in. I don't want to doomsay anything, but all depends now on getting better reviews, more content and a good marketing for the official release.

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

There is no real tangible evidence, it's a lot of PvPers (like myself) speaking from their own experience and knowledge. If it was just a handful of PvPers saying there was a problem then it could be dismissed; when pretty much any PvPer worth their salt is saying there is a problem then it becomes highly frustrating the issue is being ignored.

I have a guild of about 40....all interested in PvP yet I can only get half a dozen (at best) to play the game.......all of the others would rather play games such as UO.

15. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Combat in SotA is mediocre and MOBAs have completed gutted the MMO PVP scene of all those that favor skill over free time and networking as the decoding factor in a PVP encounter.

SotA PVP is doomed because any changes that would make it more fun for new players would annoy established PVPers by making it harder for them to curb-stomp the newcomers. Conversely, adding full loot or forcing gatherers to act like sheep for PVPers, will further isolate established PVPers.

It isn't 1996, MMORPGs aren't the only game in town for PVP and it isn't even the best one anymore by most accounts.

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  16. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

Rather than say things are doom and gloom why not wait for systems to be fleshed out? The game still isn't close to finished and what we have now is still very bare bones due to the long list of things still being worked on for Episode 1.

There will be a Q4 schedule update in about a month and it won't be the last quarterly schedule either.

We all want every system to be fully fleshed out (and rightly so) but the best thing we can do right now is just be patient. They're cooking a lot of broths right now and they'll all be seasoned and served up in the fullness of time.

I'm sure PVP, cooking and every other system people personally carry a torch for will get lots of attention in turn. Commercial release is still a ways off.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

The devs deserve honest feedback, not fanboy praise.

Vagabond_Sam and Time Lord like this.
  18. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I agree but they did address this very issue in the last hangout of the avatar.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

When asked chris said he did not want to talk about it now.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Any change that could substantially improve combat at this point would have to be so deep in the code base that it would likely obsolete a man-year of effort in code and multiple man-years in art and balancing work. Like it or not, most major systems in SotA are roughly complete state. As a developer myself let me tell you that no one wants to be the guy that stands up ay scrum in year 4 of a project and says that a desicion made in year 1 was faulty and the fix will call into quesion all code that interacts with a core piece of the project.

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.