Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SoS PvP !!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Abydos, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

He said "soon" at which point all we can do is be patient. They know people would like to know more but they aren't currently in a position to say more at the moment.

Abydos and Time Lord like this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

They have said soon for thtee yrs. Im not holding my breath.

Baalice, Abydos and Time Lord like this.
  3. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

LoL

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...h-are-you-unofficial.4120/page-14#post-138131

1. PVP - Consensual - No Looting
      39 vote(s) 11.8%
    2. PVP - Consensual - Full Looting
      63 vote(s) 19.0%
    3. PVP - Consensual Or Not - No Looting
      12 vote(s) 3.6%
    4. PVP - Consensual Or Not - Full Looting
      149 vote(s) 45.0%
    5. PVE - Only - No Looting
      40 vote(s) 12.1%
    6. PVE - Only - Full Looting
      28 vote(s) 8.5%
    @Lord_Darkmoon have you missed some thing ?

:D

Spinok, Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  4. Gix

Gix Avatar

PvPers don't like playing unbalanced/unrefined games.

If they don't want to come back after the game is fully fleshed out, then it's on them.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Most pvpers love to play unbalanced games in the same way they love to play balanced games........PvPers just love PvP regardless providing there is some purpose behind it.

Now is actually the idea time for pvpers to start due to skill levelling etc........ They won't because there is little to no PvP unless it's an organised duel..... At which point many would rather watch paint dry.

Abydos, Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The sentence was just an answer to yours about the 3-4 PvErs ;)

I don't think that polls here on the forum are representative. You can easily see it at the number of people who participated. How many forum members do we have? How many backers and there are just a litte more than 200 people who voted? Can't take that seriously. Also I believe that many of the original backers have been scared away from the forums so only the housing and PvP guys remain and then you do a poll about PvP ;)

uhop, Sir Cabirus and Time Lord like this.
  7. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

The world is missing conflict and things to do. Usually building a town with gathering, crafting and organizing a guild is all stuff that is done ingame to create online communities.

This game has one of the worst communities I ever encountered IMHO, because the POTs could be bought...

Most people who bought them lack the social skills to make them truly successful, while most players capable to forge communities or already have them don't have the wallet to get a POT. It might not be pay to win, but you have to pay lots of money to get more content in the game and its not really encouraging for new players.

We are missing a purpose to play. Grinding can be fun, but everyone wants to put his skills to use at some point. All the content writers in the world can not make a story that is everlasting...
    Though I enjoy a rich story and the non handholding way some of the quests are, are a fresh breeze in the genre.. But srsly it won't last long enough to keep people playing.

PVP and Guild Politics need to be fleshed out. Guild and Faction Wars are needed and I am sure they will announce sth like that soonish.
    I would like to see Guilds being able to build, fight about or craft sth. to create communities and common goals for players.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Retro, Abydos, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  8. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

331 voted.

Unless to be a little lost, I think this is information to consider.

But that is the past, we must look forward and stop to watch our PvP community quietly leave.

I cant wait to see the changes coming to my favorite play.

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

PVP will come. Chris said that several times. With a small team its a hard task to set the priorities straight.
    I think we will see some more info in the next hangout, as was said in the last one.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

StevieD, Abydos and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  11. Gix

Gix Avatar

We don't hang out with the same crowd. Where I'm from, there's no point in participating when you know the outcome of the fight before engaging in it.

The universal truth is that people quit when they realize that their efforts yield no reward; win or lose.

I'm still questioning why I don't go to the Oracle to remove my PvP flag... since I have never done more than a mere scratch to every single opponent that I have ever encountered... including those that I get the jump on.

Of course this is the perfect time for PvPers to start; it favours the grinders. That in itself should be enough of an indicator of the state of the PvP.

We can talk about all of the different factors that make PvP an unrewarding and uninspiring experience but my original point still remains: Having people leave an unfinished game doesn't mean they won't come back; it just means that they have other games to play at the moment.

Retro, Vrunk Hrrk and Time Lord like this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Once a player leaves a game (unfinished or not) it's very tough to get them back. Also have to consider that PvPers are not here for the RP Story so it would be in their interest to do the grind now....truth is they would rather walk away than do the grind with the hope something might be better in a few months.

There would have to be something very special in the pipeline to attract those players back.......even I have considered reactivating UO; and I really can't wait for Albion to launch. The question isn't so much as what are Portalarium going to do for PvPers in SotA but more of the question what are they going to do to compete with other games and attract PvPers to the game itself.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Full Loot Non-Consensual PvP would cause me to quit the game. I do not like the nature that that form of PvP expresses in such games.

I would highly commend Objective Based PvP.

Add PvP Zones With 'Holdings'. Populate these zones with High Level PvE mobs. Greater than normal Resource Points. Etc... If your guild OWNS the holding you are
    1) Neutral to PvE mobs in the zone and
    2) Earn a buff similar in nature to the COTO potions for as long as your guild owns the holding.
    3) Owning more than one holding starts adding a penalty or diminishing return mechanic. Simply to fight the very real risk of a single mega-guild dominating the space. It should be small at first, so capping more than one can be prestigious and rewarding. But make it increasingly harder to justify holding more.

After capturing the holding, there is a 2 hour cooldown (or 4, or 1, this number could be played with) where PvP Capture is turned OFF. PvP is still on, owners have advantage of being non-hostile to mobs.

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

I see our game as something of a race horse (OMG that's something else we don't have yet).
    I see it this way because it has yet to show all it's capable of, because as soon as that happens, then every other game follows suite and copies with the same flavor. We saw this with UO, when all after games released took the best elements of UO and incorporated them into their own game (EQ, WoW, ext.) It's well known by Portalarium that PvP is one of the most important features to our SOTA. If you have ever looked into RG's eyes and not seen a warlike face, then I beg you take another look behind those morally corrupted skeevy eyes and know this was the man that has made and worked on some of the most bloody games of murder and death far ahead of them all.

We purchased a race horse for $10 Million and if we show what all it can do during it's training runs, then the odds are quite greater that our outcome will be of much less profit because of all those others waiting to attempt it's better.

So if anyone wishes to "cash out" before it's race even opens it's first launching gate, by all means leave because your account will be purchased the earlier and deeper you bought into it. It was not that long ago when we only had a single city named Owls Head to play in and those PvP conversations are all the same as these we are currently having... "we want more PvP and we want it now"... and no matter what they give us the same comments will always be stated again.

If it were cookie cutter PvP and if RG had not ever though of what he wanted in PvP before launching his Kick Starter, I'd be very surprised because he's been thinking wicked stuff up in that mind of his forever.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Some people are just born brave...
    We're suppose to be finding bugs right now "while playing an unfinished game"... which means that it's not exactly time for engaging or luring players away from finding those bugs by adding content we (or they) know will work.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    DancingShade likes this.
  15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I don't get it really. You can already PvP everywhere, with every other player who wants to PvP.
    You enjoy PvP, they enjoy PvP, and the people who aren't interested don't have to get involved.
    I don't see why you need special incentives to do an activity that you claim to enjoy...

I've yet to see a good argument to change the rulesets at this point, it always boils down to PvPers want to force everyone to PvP because they need more victims.
    I don't think that's a good reason to change the entire game.
    The shardfalls are forced multiplayer open PvP. That's not good enough? You have a dozen or so places all to yourselves for PvP activity. Places with the highest concentration of obsidian chips, and unique loot table drops (flesh flayers) which while not significant now, may be more so once cooking is a thing.

Oh, they're always empty? Maybe that's because most players don't want to PvP?
    Or if as was intimated in the opening post, the PvPers are leaving the game? If its too late and they've all left then why does the discussion keep coming up? lol

16. Gix

Gix Avatar

Does that mean that, when you left UO, it was the end of UO? What was special in the recent patch of UO that made you want to come back to it? This is exactly what I've been talking about.

Not everyone who leaves sells their accounts. A few months/years down the line, they'll see an article of SotA official release and that alone might encourage them to try it out again. Hell, I've recently re-subscribed to WoW after a 4-expansions-worth-of-hiatus and I don't even have the latest expansion. I just felt like doing some battlegrounds.

The whole "omg! the players are leaving! it's the end of the world" argument sounds ridiculous; especially in an incomplete game. I'm all for PvP but I can't in good conscience support arguments like this.

@kaeshiva While I agree that it's really backwards-thinking to be asking for "incentives" for PvP, SotA's PvP is currently really lackluster.
    • It's hard to figure out WHERE people are PvPing.
    • There's no affiliation for the pugs or soloers.
    What we need:
    • Clear indication as to where PvP is taking place (sword icons on the overworld would be a good start).
    • Factions... so that random people can fight under a banner.
    What doesn't work:
    • Guilds. If I have to be part of a guild or a party to engage in PvP, then this game's PvP is a good as dead.
    • Having tons of hidden arenas inside towns like Ardoris and Owl's Head with no indication that they even exist or that there's even any combatants inside.
    • Having PvP zones (Shardfall) that are so far away from the starting areas; failing to introduce PvP to the new players.
    • Not having any idea how strong your opponents are in relation to you, leaving players who die in combat with the feeling that they have to grind more to be competitive. It's supposed to even out in the later levels but that puts an invisible and high entry level for newcomers.

17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I agree, sword icons or some sort of indicator would be great.
    Factions is also an idea I've seen tossed around - and agree it would be helpful for people to identify with a faction, fight on its behalf, etc.
    If they put a PvP area near the starting zone though, I fear it would just be new players peeking in to see what its about and quickly getting stomped by high lvls lying in wait.
    Any suggestions on how to work around that?

uhop, Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Difference is I have 15+ years play time in UO with all the "stuff" that goes with it (advanced characters, items, old guildmates etc etc). For the record recent patches in UO are awful......even the load screen looks like a image from The Land Before Time........catered for trammelites. But......even THAT is better than is currently here.

Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  19. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Did they though? The things I look for in WoW are very different from what I found fun about UO and what my aspirations for this game are.

Multiplayer Accessible Player Housing
    Classless Combat System
    Multiplayer Accessible Player Housing
    Player Crafting Provides Best Gear
    Enemies drop sensible loot
    Multiplayer Accessible Player Housing (It really is that important to me)

EQ and WoW simply enhanced the Reward Gratification Grind to a point where they could hook people quickly and get them to work harder and harder for the next fix (EQ extra guilty of this). Honestly, the closest game to hit these buttons for me in recent years was freaking ARK: SE and that isn't truly an MMO.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well we had voted to remove PVP all together. Apparently that wasn't approved. So now we have to discuss to fix it. [removed attacking comment (Berek)]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.