Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SoS PvP !!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Abydos, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gix

Gix Avatar

The problem is that it requires a guild... so that's a no go.

What flopped is the server infrastructure. Cyrodiil is too large of an area and hosts too many players for anyone to expect a smooth experience. Coupled with a backwards combat system that relies (in the context of PvP) to cancel animations, you got yourself a recipe for failure.

If you do it small scale like a (not larger than) 40-man battleground then it might be something to look into.

StevieD and Time Lord like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Really fascinating stuff to contemplate StevieD! :D I Like It!'

One of the things within the Fellowship Project model design was to have our factions be a ready reaction force for the Portalaium's planed "cabalist raids" which will happen from the planets in the skies above us doing their dancing thing.
    (btw not all my own thinking yet filtered though over 100+ players for their added comments which helped better craft it's design... "and not a single guild"... sorry, but that fact of having an actual guild called the fellowship involved within it just had to be dissolved out of the continuing PM conversations because everyone kept thinking that it was all about a single guild).

So, taking your idea forward StevieD, we can begin to see how our factions could benefit from having their events caused by our planets (or at least I can see where you're going with this). This could mean that common combat between the factions could even be nil and voided out, and replaced with the incentives provided at a certain place, at a certain time and then reacted to, in order to go grab all the goodies there or in other words "fight over them".

I believe that anything that causes us to more interact with the game (dance with it), is a very good thing because it builds a relationship between game and player which bonds them together as no other game could.

When we commonly think of faction wars, we mostly think about how large a battle we can put together with a massive amount of players. Yet within our current threads of PvP as well as PvE, we are finding that instancing get's in the way of accumulating large amounts of players within our hunting parties. Most are spread out and not truly fighting together. Also, any good build of a faction war should be able to function well with even a minimal amount of players showing up to it. It's got to be fun for both large and small groups.

I think you're on to something here StevieD, and you me...
    [​IMG]

Same page thinking, keep it coming and maybe others will begin seeing the same fantastic interactive world view about this thing!

Stealing is OK as long as it's done well... ( Quote Richard Garriott Ultima VIII ) @Lord British2 @DarkStarr Steal all this idea please! :D We stole it all from you anyway o_O... :cool: "how sinister"...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Acred, Tibs and StevieD like this.
  3. Blackheath

Blackheath Avatar

Oh okay, it's just that your original reply sounded a lot more like PK than anti-PK. All the anti's I knew in UO claimed the thrill of delivering justice as a major incentive. That is certainly a reason to seek out PvP, but the problem with that is both PK and anti-PK require an unwilling victim somewhere in the mix.

I'm not against PvP. I think people who enjoy it should be able to PvP in a way that is fun and rewarding for them, as long as that doesn't involve players who don't want to PvP. There should be no unwilling victims. No one wants to be that. This is why I am seriously unhappy about the placement of story elements in PvP areas, which seems to me the worst of the schemes to encourage people into PvP zones.

Acred and Time Lord like this.
  4. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

StevieD and Time Lord like this.
  5. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

I'd like to see what the developer will have produced, once Episode 1 is finished, before wrestling over bright player solutions to problems that may not then exist. The game isn't finished. We don't even have all our glyphs, apparently.

Way too early for players to be arm wrestling with the game's designers.

Once it is finished, then it will be our responsibility to entice the PvE players to join PvP as well, because it is more fun to also have the PvP option alive. If we cannot, then that will be a message to be heard.

They cannot RP well without a little potential for bloodshed.

Be an evangelist.

Time Lord and StevieD like this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

yeah ultimately these forums if they do anything good, then the good that is done might actually encourage the Devs to build exactly what they fully intend to build already. If there is any success in these posts it should encourage and hopefully revitalize the original vision and inspire them that they have the right idea and be excited about doing it having a refresher on the vision and a renewal of the excitement that got this project started in the first place.

Tibs and Time Lord like this.
  7. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

This is 1% of a game like 9yin

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Net

Net Avatar

I think it would be nice to have some distinction for friends and foes. Oracle could track avatars and mark them if they are exceptionaly virtuous or not. I would start with something simple.

If you loot avatars, who are not marked as "red", you will get red point.
    If you loot avatars, who are marked as "red" you will lose red point (if you have any).

If you kill avatars, who are "green", you wil get red point (if you loot them as well, you will get another red point).
    If you kill avatars, who are "red", you will get green point.

If you kill "grey" avatar, you will get grey point.

You will get no points in duels or guild warfare.

If you have any red point, you are marked red.
    If you have more green points than grey, you are green.
    Otherwise you are grey.

Easy way to establish some basic reputation, splitting people into PK killers, PKs, and the rest.

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Moral Realities~
    I liked that in UO and I still like it. But when it comes to an evolution within our understandings of what "good or evil" means, or "sinister or open" means we have to evolve and understand more that there is no good or evil, there's only the sick and the sane.

Defining the terms is a challenge there and a challenge I think our SOTA is asking us to consider. How we view others is really the challenge as well. By pointing out what a game may say about your character open for everyone to see, then we encourage the truly sinister to hide behind a color code and an identifier which becomes a style rather than any real judgment of a player's actions, whereas what the Oracle judgments are the un-real.
    Our realities should be preserved in an un-real world, to make it more real o_O...

Am I truly a bad guy, because I brought "The Fellowship" into our game? I actually lost 1/2 of my "actual friends" because they thought/think that I am now somehow actually evil. When the lines between real and un-real become even more blurred, then how are we to truly enjoy connecting as players within a game? Certainly it's been done before, yet within our deepening fog of MMO evil/good calculators, a person playing a game can become the target of some very nasty real things from those who believe themselves to be "good".

All of this because I and others want to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Ultima VII The Black Gate which is coming in 2017, a game that this game, "our own sota" is almost directly modeled after...
    :cool:~Nystal TimeLord~:rolleyes:

Acred, Abydos and Tibs like this.
  10. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

One function of a villain, in almost any tale, is to magnify the achievement of an heroic victory. By unearthing and resurrecting the Fellowship, you may have added to the quality of the story's conflict for heroes to resolve. In addition, the Fellowship may illuminate implications of heroism that will encourage a deeper appreciation of real virtues, such as justice versus prejudice, knowledge versus opinion, insight versus ignorance, and reality versus illusion.

This is a worthy quest.

11. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Join the Chaos PvP TimeLord !!!!!

Order is fo weak-minded !!!!!!

:D

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Oh, my dear friend Abydos... you don't yet know... The Fellowship actually has quite a few very sharp actual teeth out there :D
    :cool: A Cult is much more than a guild :confused::D:cool: and I absolutely adore all our friends...
    ~Nystal~;)

Acred and Abydos like this.
  13. Foulest

Foulest Avatar

The loot system is fine, the only problem is flag system. Remove the flag system, then you got yourself A game. If some players can't handle the pvp, the game has single player and friend mode. The flag system created A problem that shouldn't even exist, cause the three playing modes adressed the pvp issue. I really don't understand where the devs want to go with this game, they look all mixed up.
    Another thing which doesn't work and that killed pvp, is the fact that single player mode resources count in mutli-player, thats completely ridiculous, A real knee slapping joke.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Time Lord and Abydos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.