SotA Con – A Shroud of the Avatar Fan Convention – Nov. 4-6, 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Berek, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

BTW if anyone needs space to put photos, please go the http://paxlair.org make an account and up;load to your hearts content. SOTA photos only doesn't have to be Con related.
    Anyone can view the images.

Se'an

2. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I think the best photo op I missed was at Medeivel Times with LB laying on the ground after losing a dual to Violation's children as they stand and continue to poke him with their foam swords, precious and so telling about LB's personality.

3. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Are there any YouTube video's of the event?

4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

``
    If you read the thread you will see Lesni's posts with them. As far as I know that is it. The bad luck of Laz breaking his arm (right) put aside a lot of what he was going to do, at least for Friday's sessions as he slept in and semi-recovered from an evening in the hospital. Perhaps we'll see something on the morrow. I probably wouldn't miss the NBNN Lunch with Jack & Laz, as it should be full of Con, conversation.

5. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Thanks for recording this and uploading! For any interested, LB/RG has comments starting about the 2 minute mark [Pt 3 of 4] relating to possible work they are mulling over for what sounds like the NPC conversation quest system.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  6. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I've posted videos in this thread, but if you want a direct link to YouTube this is it.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLuC6M3FeSA7h3sUG3225ZA

I've only shared a few things on the YouTube channel but I use it for other things at times.
    I will be posting more videos of the DarkStarr part of the conference soon.
    (as soon as my work load gets back to normal from the days off at the conference)

7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

@Lensi I still owe you a coffee and @Greyfox I still owe you a beer. I never ever forget my debts. That is just who I am.

8. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Ahh... so BLADES is the route Tahru should have gone (hope someone got photos of that)! 8^)

9. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Thank you for informing me about this at the convention and following up here. I'm really happy to hear that you're getting it back and I hope you're able to take your new phone back and get a full refund.

10. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

That's violation jr getting in PBR practice with @Roper Docholiday

11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Never took you for a Lannister Tahru. ;)

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

So funny, my least favorite characters in that series. Love the show!

13. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I am reposting here from a thread Bayard started :) My thoughts about what I experienced at SoTA Con.

Acceptance - I don't know about anyone else, but coming out from behind an avatar can be a bit daunting. Nothing to hide behind! LOL :) Suffice it to say that I found acceptance *for who I am* from each and every person I met at SoTA Con. Whether it was having a *lively discussion* with Richard (zomg - this guy knows some of the great scientific minds of our time and his mind isn't too shabby either :p and I was *debating him* ROFL), making off color remarks with Lazarus, driving Shade, Morton, Ana, Steve, Berek and Valdor to Medieval Times or sharing cake with with Berek (that guy put up with a lot of my gum flapping...lol) I never once felt alone in the crowd or like a fish out of water.

Laughter - As Bayard mentioned in his post, there was an utter lack of posturing about hot-button topics. If I were to assign a theme to the con it would be - Let the Good Times Roll! I was surrounded by laughter and I gotta tell you, it was music to my ears :)

One-on-one time - I was fortunate to not only meet many people I have either spent time with ingame or on TS, but to sit and spend some quality one-on-one time simply chatting with them. I also got to spend time with those I have never met ingame before. It was such a joy! It's hard to describe the beauty of people willing to give the gift of their time and attention. No games, no BS, no cliques - none of that. Just people loving people and getting to know each other on a more personal level.

Indi, Laz, Cordelayne, Richard, Berek, Sean, Bayard, Caska, Rhiannon, Mayday, Minerva, Roper, Rild, Lesni, Greyfox, Valdor, Shade, Tahru - I got you under my skin, I got you deep in the heart of me :)

Help! I Need Someone! - I don't move around very well and at times I'm in a lot of pain. This factoid was really evident to the group I was driving when we went to Medieval Times.

Valdor to the rescue! He let me hang onto him when we had some walking to do (and he made sure I got up and down the stairs alright). Steve, Ana, Morton, Shade, and Berek waited for Valdor and me to catch up to the group and Ana made it a point to make sure I was alright several times. Shade let me hang on him too...lol. He even pulled the car around so I had less walking to do when we left! Thank God cause I was beat :p Bless their hearts - I *REALLY* mean that.

Eternal Knight was always willing to help as well. When I got too cold in the conference room, he went out of his way to get the air conditioning turned down. Lesni noticed how cold my hands were and offered up his jacket to warm them. Winfield took it upon himself to pester Richard for an autograph when I was too hesitant to disturb him. These are just a few examples of people willing to help me out where they could. When you're like me and don't ask for help very well because you don't want to bother anyone, people gladly offering you help is like mana from heaven :)

Oh the humanity - Whether it was children or people my age, the wonders of humanity were on display. :)

I think the best illustration of this was watching Richard play with several of the children at Medieval Times. He was on the floor, rolling around, pretending that he lost the sword fight...lol. Those kids killed Lord British!

All weekend I was dazzled by his mind, but at that moment I truly saw *him*. Just a human being with a love of simple joys to be had. And that brought out my humanity, my inner child. I finally got up the courage to offer him a hug, which he returned with a smile! Then just to be sure I was truly going for it - I did the same with Starr. I offered him a hug and he accepted! I got hugs back, whoohoo! And she scores!!! Weird how I was always too chicken to hug those two until I saw those kids playing swords with a guy in a costume who was rolling on the floor laughing. Kids can teach you a LOT if you pay attention. :)

---> I have no pictures to share, but hopefully my words have painted a picture for you. The SoTA community is awesome and that is NOT exaggeration or hyperbole. It is the truth, it's a fact, it's gravity man...:p My love to all I met, kudos to all who worked so hard to make SoTA Con happen and hugs to those who wanted to attend, but couldn't make it.

14. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

@Fionwyn Wyldemane your words describe my emotion and needs so beautifully. Although I was not at Sotacon I am fortunate that you were there and expressed in words what this game means to us on a deeply personal level. Thank you Fionwyn.

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Im glad you guys had a great time! I wish i could've been there, im sure it would have been awesome! The next closest one we have near me, i will definitely be there! Real life took priority and i could not make it (even though I was VIP) i consider it money well spent! I hope this brought a lot of you together, and you made new friends that we only knew as In game persona's. I am anxiously awaiting for the next event, that is possible for me to attend. I look forward to meeting you all also next time.

Torniquet Warsworn (feel free to add me as friend if you have not yet) Im always looking to run around on suicide missions in the game, or to casually run around and kill things.

16. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I made both of your registration packets in hopes of last minute adjustments allowing you to attend. We had about 18 people MIA. It was a bummer but it is understandable that life happens.

See you guys at the next one!

17. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

18. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I created an account and clicked the verify my email link that I received.
    How long does it take to get Validated? I still show Awaiting Validation on the site.

StevieD, Sean Silverfoot and Tahru like this.
  19. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

There is a new Post SOtA Con thread and I will be posting some videos there of LB session about his Space Travels and Starr Long's Session at the conference.

Reflections on SotA Con East, November 4-6, 2016 With Photos

The videos will be posted as soon as Youtube finishes processing.
    (5 of them and they take about 3 hrs each to process so they may not finish before I leave work today)

20. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

you know to have to come in Ts again and sing !!!! @Fionwyn Wyldemane , i want to listen to this ballad. :)

...and, its so cool of all of you guys to share what was going on at SotA Con, its so nice to read about, glad you all had a blast:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.