SotA Con East - Nov 4-6, 2016 in Baltimore, MD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Violation Clauth, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

ahh that makes more sense

that one looks good, though i dont know if u even need the texture on the crest.
    Id go with bolder outlines on the text and outline, but thats just me :p

2. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

another alternative :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to telling the story on why I felt compelled to get this put together this next week. I'll be recording it and sharing it out end of next week. I'm hoping the hotel will have the booking link/code ready by Tuesday so we can start moving into the scheduled event planning! I'd like to share my thoughts with everyone so we can get things solidified and make sure those who want to help with parts of the con... can.

I think I'll leave the logo alone for now as I think the new look is a LOT nicer than the old one and sufficient for year 1. It also looks a lot closer to a challenge coin concept I had so I'll likely update that and try to get a new quote in color for that to see what the costs are.

Thanks guys!

4. Keflara

Keflara Avatar

Church and Keflara of Stormsong Vale are happily attending in Baltimore. It's just a stone's throw away from us.

5. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Looking forward to seeing you guys there!

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Keflara like this.
  6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

It's still uploading and it's a really long rant... but here's me talking about why I wanted to help kick this off, why I'm trying to facilitate this and get it started. Also announces the exact hotel we'll be staying at and requests people give me 1 more day before booking! I hope it uploads okay and there aren't any issues because I am going to bed as I have to be up in 4 hours.

p.s. this is like an hour long video if it all recorded and uploaded. I meant for it to be about 30 minutes but as I'm tired I got sidetracked three or four times and explained more than I should have on different topics. I'll do my best to get these out earlier in the future! (every Tuesday is the goal)

7. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I'm honored to be one of the Coordinators for SotA Con 2016 (East Coast USA). My role is to help Violation Clauth realize his vision and dream of SotA developers and players coming together, growing together, and sharing ideas. My role is to help him and players/developers shape the Convention into amazement. My role is to do all I can to help everyone have a wonderful time at the SotA Con.

I believe SotA Con will be an epic, life-time-remembering event with many players, developers, and people who have great ideas, are fun to be around, and have a sense of Virtue.

I've had the privilege to attend Portalarium VIP events, HoBLotH 2 and 3, Baron's Men Theatre plays at Curtain Theatre (Richard Garriott's Austin property), Player Gatherings in Austin, Portalarium convention booths, and to have a quiet impromptu dinner with Richard Garriott and Tracy Hickman (unbelievable!). I've planned several 500-person conferences before, including one in Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

I recommend you take the time to view/listen to Violation Clauth's video in its entirety, even if you cannot attend. He talks about many things that relate to more than the SotA Con, like concepts of players, backers, and developers participating together, and how we want to help Portalarium use their backer-dollars for game development, not conventions. He "story-tells" some of his experiences and seeks for all of us to someday/somehow have similar experiences; SotA Con is one of those ways.

I will do my best to help out.

Thanks!
    Winfield

8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Reservation Process: Individuals may call the hotel directly for reservations. Please use the group code provided when making all reservations. Note: if you do not use this code you can end up costing SotA Con a higher expense as we are required to fill a specific number of rooms within the window described below.

Group Name: SotA Con 2016
    Group Dates: November 3- November 7,2016
    Call in Reservations: 1-800-HOLIDAY or direct 410-685-3500
    Your group code is: SOT

Guests can also book with the link below. Simply provide arrival and departure dates for convenient, online booking.

SotA Con
    https://www.ihg.com/redirect?path=h...Code=1&hotelCode=baldt&_PMID=99801505&GPC=SOT

The hotel will extend our group rate 2 days prior and 2 days after the event based on availability. If you wish to extend your personal stay outside the dates listed at the top of this email, please contact the hotel directly.

Cut-off date: The last day to reserve is: October 11,2016. The hotel reserves the right to release rooms held after the cutoff date. Should SotA Con's block fill prior to the cut-off date, the hotel may, at its discretion, continue to offer rooms at the group rate, offer rooms at the hotel’s best available rate, or close out availability entirely.

Guests are responsible for all charges.

You'll find everything you need for a comfortable, productive visit to Baltimore. Featuring two on-site options; begin your day with gourmet coffees, teas and fresh pastries at Dottie's Café and unwind with signature cocktails and grilled favorites at the Eden West Restaurant and Lounge.

Other facts to note:
    • Complimentary high-speed wireless internet in public spaces and guest rooms
    • Newly remodeled guest rooms with plush signature bedding and large flat screen TV
    • Convenient, on-site self-parking at $28 per night (subject to change)*
    • Vibrant location just steps to restaurants, attractions and entertainment
    • Walking distance to Baltimore Convention Center, Oriole Park, and Inner Harbor
    • Just 8 miles from Baltimore Washington International Airport easily accessible from I-95

The hotel boasts that we will enjoy:
    • Fitness room with sauna, weights and cardio equipment
    • Baltimore's largest indoor swimming pool
    • Flexible event space with meeting and banquet facilities
    • IHG Rewards frequent guest program
    *Note: the area average that I found was $35/night, please plan for this if you are going to be driving as parking all around this area has a daily/hourly fee!

Fionwyn Wyldemane, Winfield and Spoon like this.
  9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

If you're a football fan, the Ravens are hosting the Steelers on Sunday November 6 in Baltimore, not far from this hotel. It's an epic rivalry and the stadium and local fans are awesome.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I wonder if I can vote while I'm there too? They should allow us to use one of those lord british robot/avatar thingys to go to the voting polls for us and we control it using our smart phone from the con.

11. matpsch

matpsch Developer Emeritus

We could all go to the game dressed in period garb and probably get on TV! (and give SotA some free press) :D

12. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

When the drunken brawl spills out of the rooms and into the hallway...

13. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I don't know why but this made me laugh...

14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I wonder how many votes we can get for @RichardGarriott 2016... lol

Fionwyn Wyldemane and StevieD like this.
  15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If Starr Long is his running mate, the will win for sure. The running mate might be a big talking poin in this election.

16. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

We'd finally get to see a decent budget if Starr got into office. "Okay congress, balance the budget or you all share offices"

^.^

On a SotA Con topic note: has anyone successfully booked their rooms yet? First day, and just a few hours into the post, so I'm not sure if anyone has. Just wanted to be sure there weren't any issues I needed to help sort out.

17. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

@WrathPhoenix - One of the recent questions people have been asking is about streaming and internet quality. I've been warned by a lot that we cannot expect much. One of the things I haven't addressed is that we talked about 4 months ago (beginning of March) about this event and you said Aether Alliance would back it fully and I talked to you about my goal and you said you would try to incorporate streaming testing at Dragon Con... have you made any progress on that? I'm hoping we can get a public discussion going about what people expect as far as media coverage from within the community and if I should try to get another group besides Aether Alliance or if you still plan on handling that. Please let us all know! :) (Also, for readers, if you have suggestions or feedback please get involved! I'm mostly targeting Kazyn because we talked about this a couple times on the phone and he's going to have a great opportunity to test it at a player gathering taking place over at DragonCon. I went to the first one back in 2014 and it was excellent. I haven't seen much released about the 2016 one on the forums but if you are planning to attend DragonCon I'd suggest you try to meet up with some SotA people!)

18. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Marvellous! I was sure it'd happen eventually, but not this soon!
    Although I cannot physically be there, I've no doubt SotACon will be a great one!

Hope there'll be someone sells SotA figure...(I really wish to buy one...)

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Still looking like a go for me. However I'm waiting on one thing. It is looking closer like we might have a dual purpose out for this trip which makes it even better since we might have a business reason to be there too. Otherwise I would have already made my plans, because I want to visit the area too.

However to the rest who aren't thinking of going because of distance, like I said previously this is a great location for sight seeing and adventure as well. As a person living on the West Coast, I think this event is the perfect excuse to take a short vacation to such an awesome tourist event. Get up be spontaneous and live a little.

20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Glad to hear! I'm hoping enough time was provided for people to make plans. I announced as early as I possibly could without having to change the dates on people after announcing.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and StevieD like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.