SotA Con East - Nov 4-6, 2016 in Baltimore, MD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Violation Clauth, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

It was fun being a guest on Lunch with Laz and Jack on http://www.nbnn.info today.

I talked a little about SotA Con 2016 Baltimore. So if you get a chance to see recordings, please do.

DRIVING RALLY POINT IDEA -- BRISTOL VA:

I also mentioned that I am attempting to set up a RALLY POINT in Bristol VA/TN for people driving to the event.

[​IMG]
    • Arrive in Bristol, VA on Nov 2 (or earlier) - People drive to Bristol VA where I am residing in late Oct/Nov. Spend the night(s) in Bristol VA at some hotel.
    • Depart Bristol, VA on Thursday, Nov 3 at 0900 ET as a group - depart by vehicle(s) to Baltimore (7 to 8 hour drive with stops and traffic).
      • I want to rent a mini van (6 seats without luggage) - riders can share the cost. People can leave their cars safely in Bristol VA if desired (TBD). This can help some folks to avoid the long drive and avoid additional parking expenses at the Baltimore hotel.
      • We can try to have more vehicles (people driving to SotACon 2016) in our convoy to help with luggage (someone with a truck and tarp perhaps).
      • We can have more vehicles traveling so we can convoy and have a great time along the way and back, and have safety in numbers.
    • Depart Baltimore, MD on Sunday, Nov 6 at 1300 ET as a group - depart by vehicle(s) to Bristol, VA (arrive about 2100 (9 PM ET)).

I've talked to a few people who are interested in coming to this Rally Point and participating. If more are interested, please reply here and then we can talk over Private Conversation.

NOTE: This is still in the planning stage for me, and the Rally Point / Convoy is not associated directly with SotA Con 2016 or any funds it collects. We do this as private individuals going to the event.

Your thoughts? Could there be other Rally Points for drivers/attendees too?

2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

@Winfield ~ Great idea!

I'd be happy to do a convoy there with people and maybe make some stops along the way! My wife and I will be staying a few days past the con to check out the area. We've never been there before and since everyone wanted it moved to that area we figured it could turn into a SotA Con + family vacation!

I expect to leave early Thursday morning and drive casually there to arrive sometime around 3pm.
    [​IMG]

@licemeat @Duke Lorimus + ??? Do you guys want to do a meeting point somewhere on this path and maybe stop for lunch in Pittsburgh area?

Fionwyn Wyldemane, MagiK and Winfield like this.
  3. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

There is a short leg from I-81 to I-70 that cuts through Charles Town, WV that we always used going from Roanoke to Baltimore.

Avoids that whole DC traffic thing.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

my goal is to find myself in a position where i can do one of these thigns and then end up doign one of these thigns with lots of people i dont know but kinda know. And to not have to struggle immensly to get back on my feet when i get back

5. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Still a lot of time between now and then. Take your time sir. I hope everything works out!

6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Weekly Update #2 is out... last week I'll use facebook. Took me almost 30 minutes just to retype the stupid thing and attempt some formatting with facebook and it still doesn't look halfway decent. If anyone is a Facebook expert and feels like taking on about an hour or two of communication every week and handling the facebook side of things that would be great! Otherwise I'll just be linking to the website and doing the updates there.

I added it as a PDF if you find that easier to read, you can access that here: https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/43717997-f7ca-4e1e-b473-762b69458d66

Facebook version: https://www.facebook.com/events/869...wsfeed_story_type=regular&action_history=null

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  7. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Hmm, this could be cool .. and a small adventure among-st friends along the way .

8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Looks like @licemeat is game too... anyone else who wants to join in would be more than welcome!

Fionwyn Wyldemane and StevieD like this.
  9. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Greetings Everyone! Some more great things are being planned for SotA Con East in Baltimore Inner Harbor, Maryland, November 4-6, 2016!

We have our first official vendor coming to SotA Con -- Relics by Rild! Yeah! Relics by Rild is an entirely Shroud-centric merchandise vendor that sells fantastic and memorable trinkets to players and fans. They also have an apparel section with really cool SotA hats, T-shirts and more! We are so excited they are coming to bring us merchandise, including some exclusive items SPECIFIC for SotA Con! Oh, here’s a great idea: buy some of your items before SotA Con and bring them with you – wear that SotA Hat and use your Challenge Coin! http://www.relicsbyrild.com

To help people get to the SotA Con by car and save money, some attendees are arranging “rally locations” in cities and roadways where people can share rides. Winfield is doing this from Bristol, Virginia (7 hours from Baltimore) and Violation Clauth is doing this from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (4 hours from Baltimore). We hope more attendees will create rally locations, routes, and share rides. Let us know if you are interested in rallying together! Getting to and from the SotA Con this way can be a great adventure unto itself!

If you are definitely planning to come to SotA Con East, please make your hotel reservations and donations – this will greatly help us add special guests, firm up the convention rooms, and get more great stuff for everyone to enjoy. In a few weeks, we will also have an official online registration form for all attendees to fill out.

We can always be reached at info@sotacon.org for any questions, comments, or suggestions.

A Special Thank You this week goes to:
    • @UnseenDragon, who saved SotA Con over $300 by planning to bring some electronics equipment for us to use at SotA Con.

Some helpful requests:
    • If you have a minivan or 6+ seat vehicle that you are driving to SotA Con, would you be willing to help shuttle people locally in the Baltimore area? If so, please let us know!
    • If you have a 100”+ portable presentation screen for a projector and would be willing to bring it for the weekend (arrival on Thursday and use through Sunday) please let us know! Our projector doesn’t do so well on a bedsheet screen :/
    Oh, stay tuned next week for an exciting update reveal that will get you more pumped up about SotA Con East. See you all at SotA Con East!

(Hat Tip: @Winfield for the rewrite of this post!)

Fionwyn Wyldemane and StevieD like this.
  10. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Yup, that just happened: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=60805#Berek

Welcome @Berek! Look forward to meeting you in person.

As a note! All developer attendance is conditional on funding. Please be sure to donate if you plan on attending so we can lock in cheaper airfare and travel for the devs and save some money as a group! All excess funds raised will go 100% to Portalarium so there's no wasted donation... it's either making the con great or the game great! :D

Oh yes... and... stay tuned for our next update ^.^ :)

11. Trina

Trina Avatar

I am attending seminary in Washington, DC so this would work for me. It would just be a MARC ride over hopefully.

12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Can't wait for the event!!

13. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

I will be setting a rally point in Hampton Roads at OWL headquarters in Virginia Beach if anyone is interested.

14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

THAT's what I'm talkin' about. :D See you there sir.

15. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

FINALLY a CON I can actually attend, Ill have to check for tickets. Its just an hours drive away!

16. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Hey not to be too much of a downer, I do want to inform everyone that is coming from out of town, the Inner Harbor is wonderful, but less than 2 blocks North you can find yourself in some dangerous areas, so stay near the waterfront and the convention center.
    Ive lived in the area for 20 years now, and have seen that part of town go down hill ...DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CAR UNLOCKED AND DONT LEAVE ANYTHING VALUABLE VISIBLE. I would also suggest if you leave the Inner Harbor area you go in a group.

Over cautious? maybe, I just dont want anyone getting hurt.

17. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

The place isnt as bad as Chicago but seriously make sure you to keep situational awareness and stay near the inner Harbor when in down town Baltimore, once you get out of the city proper there are a lot of sights to see, like Ft. McHenry (ala Star Spangled Banner) If you have time take the train down to DC and check out the Smithsonian.

18. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I just noticed this post! And to think that I was so butthurt about having to sit this GenCon out. I see that you guys are trying to be quiet and escape my notice. I would say that is an EPIC FAIL!!! I see this thread and I'm coming along! I might be alone or I'll be dragging along that poor soul you guys met at the first GenCon meetup. I'll signoff and invite (browbeat) my husband to come along.

19. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Sounds like we need to do more on our part to promote the event, glad you're thinking of coming!

20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Looking forward to seeing you there!

The new website is up and @Winfield is going to take over content updates soon. A few life things slowing us down. I'd say we're 99% ready for that promoting! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.