SotA inspired fan fantasy music - unofficial contest

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Darkblade, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

So... I was listening to these tunes while dungeon crafting and I must say... you MUST submit the finished versions of these if it is seriously something you are working on. I commend you for creating some entertaining tunes.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for other great submissions for sure!

2. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Hey guys, to help out and keep people involved, I've opened up a new chat specifically for musicians and composers working on songs for Shroud of the Avatar. The point is to create a gathering place for all of to discuss all things having to do with music ad production, ask questions, get opinions and critique works in progress, get pointers and for those who have the interest in doing so, collaborate with other people.

To access this chat, all you need to do is type "/join #sotamusic" once the chat client connects. You will still be able to see and be involved with the sota chatroom while you're in the music room by using the tabs at the top of the chat client:

[​IMG]

This room is subject to the same rules as the main chatroom and we'd ask that we keep all non-music related chat to the main room. Remember, we're doing this to help each other. It'll likely take a few days to get going and get people in there regularly but I hope to see you guys take part. :)

Edit: I should also mention that this chat isn't sanctioned by SOTA admin or Portalarium. This is something I decided to do on my own so we can communicate music without cluttering the forum with posts that don't really have as much to do with the game in general as it does with music production.

RelExpo and Ome like this.
  3. Holt

Holt Avatar

I'll be hanging around in this smoke filled backroom like the shady Grandmaster Bard I am, helping out where possible. 'Tis a worthy cause!

4. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Natural A = all the white keys, which is also C major.

5. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

This is still a great place to post music considering that's what the thread is for. Just didn't want to cloud it up with production questions and such.

6. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Will it be persistent, and/or recorded for archiving?

7. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

What do you mean?

8. Ome

Ome Avatar

9. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

@Darkblade
    Once you're ready to start polling for this contest, are you going to make a new thread so that everyone's compositions can be sorted out in one post? Not that this thread isn't a good one, but I'm sure a lot of potential voters aren't going to want to read over 3 pages to find the pieces.

10. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Sorry Mystic, I was late in my last post to ask about the chat room. I was wondering if it was going to be persistent, as in always on and never wiped clean, or at least archive the contributions that are made in the music chat room for viewing later.

11. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

It will always be on. There are 4 of us in there right now but a lot of times people are afk. However, people will usually join in conversation if one starts up.

As far as archiving, I log everything but don't really have a way to post logs. Plus, while this channel has the same rules as regular chat, we're being much more lenient on them so they can't really be posted on this forum.

DavenRock likes this.
  12. Solidus88

Solidus88 Avatar

I really love this track. Wyse is right, it does sound reminiscent to Oblivion. As always Ome, outstanding work I really hope he devs listen to your work as well as everyone in this thread. Music is an essential part of a game, especially one of this genre. I can't wait to listen to the wonderful music of New Brittania =)

Kuno Brauer, Ome and DavenRock like this.
  13. timedilation

timedilation Avatar

I really hope you finish these Sangit. All of them are just wonderful! Nightfall is so touching.

Parallaxe likes this.
  14. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

15. TamaMan

TamaMan Avatar

Dear Community Members,

Here are two entries from several themes I've been working with since the last two weeks.

Theme #1:
    http://www.pekkaleppaluoto.com/?v=gBfhGwdQ&vref=sota

Theme #4:
    http://www.pekkaleppaluoto.com/?v=GfvBtRfj&vref=sota

Personally, I like the music from The False Prophet and The Black Gate (IBM PC versions) the most and for this project, I use equipment from that era for composing. You may hear alternate versions by selecting a different audio track during playback. Unfortunately, the IBM Audio Interface Library does not have support for the Mockingboard...

And for all non-Windows/non-Mac users or who otherwise despise of the M$ technology used, here's a link to the same content in MP3 format:
    http://www.pekkaleppaluoto.com/?g=fBvaNNbG

-Pekka

Holt, Kuno Brauer, Ome and 1 other person like this.
  16. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Awesome Stuff TamaMan. I love the trills in the first piece, and the dotted quarter-eighth-quarter rhythm is awesome in the second piece (I'm assuming it was in 3/4, but maybe its really 3/8 or 6/8?). Either way, I can't get the second piece out of my head and I only listened to it twice. I've long awaited the day another drummer/composer joined our community, so prepare to be PM'd.

17. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I finally got everything upgraded so I'll be working full time now on music for this until I have at least a few solid pieces done. :)

I make progress updates here and there at https://soundcloud.com/mystic_sota
    I mostly post rough clips, concepts and demos on there. Finished projects I'll post here upon completion. Feel free to follow me so I can follow back. We've got a pretty nice little music community going on here/there.

DavenRock, Kuno Brauer, rild and 3 others like this.
  18. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Somehow I've missed your soundcloud page up until now Mystic. Great stuff, and very interesting use of percussion! I'd warn against using the i (b min) chord and the v (f# min) chord in a natural minor scale though.. Stones was in natural minor with that harmony (albeit in a different key) so clearly you must have stolen it. :p;):D

Mystic likes this.
  19. Ome

Ome Avatar

I really like your songs and approach TamaMan. Makes me wanna get a Roland MT-32.
    When I first listened I had no idea what you were using and it sounded awesome. Those
    sounds are timeless to me and I would love to see that kind of Music end up in Sota.

TamaMan likes this.
  20. TamaMan

TamaMan Avatar

Igor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.