SotA inspired fan fantasy music - unofficial contest

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Darkblade, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I've been going through all the pieces, and this one really made me super happy! It's a great epic introduction, and I'd love to see it expanded!

2. Miracle Dragon

Beautiful music, most of it sounds like it belongs in a movie! For SotA, the tracks that have the right feel in my head are definitely 24, 21 and 23 are close, and then my favorite by far is 18 - I wish it were were 3 times longer and loopable.. i'd play it all day! ;)

3. Miracle Dragon

I like the Black Ice Tales Title Theme.. I'd love to hear something you come up with for SotA though.. ;) The other music is truly beautiful. I Dream Manenberg is my favorite.

4. Miracle Dragon

I love the playfulness in this piece. It's such a joy to listen to! You need to finish it! I was in SotA, then it just stopped! :( More! More!!

Ome likes this.
  5. Miracle Dragon

Hail, and welcome from Ansteorra! I really like your composition and would love to hear more!! Listening to it, I imagine the theme could work great during normal travel, through the woods of the land. It's quite beautiful, of course. :D I would love to hear an upbeat village/tavern piece if you have one!

6. Miracle Dragon

This is super exciting for me. My favorite of yours by far! strangely, the melody is similar to one that I've had in my head.. so it really feels right! Great work!

Kuno Brauer, rild and scottlee like this.
  7. Miracle Dragon

Oh my god.. this is going to be stuck in my head forever! What a beautiful piece. You seem to no how to create intriguing melodies that just stick in your brain and flourish! I would imagine this being a theme for the elven lands perhaps, it has a feeling of ancient wisdom, mixed with regal beauty. :D

Kuno Brauer, rild and Ome like this.
  8. Miracle Dragon

-Your forest-of-the-elves piece would be perfect for the ethereal void, if we had that in SotA. ;) truly ethereal, you nailed it!
    -Industrial Flowers could almost be used in enemy workshops, great dungeon theme in general, or even a sewers beneath the big city feel..
    -Dancing with the Fae could work inside a great mansion of an evil lord. I see noblemen and aristocrats, but it's a party of evil.. the unvirtuous, putting on a false face of virtue. - beautiful piece!! This could even be Darkstarr's theme!

rild and sirWombat like this.
  9. sirWombat

sirWombat Avatar

Thank you! :)

The thought of orchestrating the Dancing with the Fae has crossed my mind, it's nice to hear a request for a longer version. I have currently quite limited time available, but plan on making a three month pause on my studies at Berklee Online at Spring for making music for SotA, if I get positive feedback from the dev team.

And all critique is welcome, that is the way to progress. :)

Miracle Dragon and rild like this.
  10. sirWombat

sirWombat Avatar

Thanks! :)
    I have thought of making a 'not so modern feeling' version, if this one does not quite hit the intended mood of the game.
    Thank you! I composed the piece to portray the eternal masquerade of the Daoine Sidhe in Irish and Scottish folklore, it's wonderful to hear that it succesfully conveys the feeling.
    I would be honored!

Miracle Dragon and rild like this.
  11. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

SirWombat, you're music is exceedingly creative for videogame music, but its also still plenty accessible. Great stuff!

I've been posting in this thread for too long without having an audio file to show for it. I've written enough sheet music, but its time I linked a recording so people can actually hear something. This piece, Good Morning Brittany, is going to be developed further with the help of my friend and colleague Ome the bard, but here is the first demo, mixed by another friend of mine, Christopher Swist, Artist in Residence at Keene State College. Shoutouts to him.

Also, the website linked is still under construction (I'm new at HTML and CSS), and the WordPress part of the site is just filler content so ignore it.

EDIT: If you don't mind helping me out, let me know what browser you're using, and if the audio player on the linked page worked for you. Thanks!
    EDIT2: Website is now complete. Feel free to browse it for mediocre recipes and dense sheet music!

12. Ome

Ome Avatar

Mordecai surprised me with Good Morning Brittany this morning. I just love this piece Mordecai.
    I think it could make for some great town music.

13. sirWombat

sirWombat Avatar

Thank you! :)

Unfortunately the player does not work with neither iOS7 Safari or OSX Safari 6.0.5.

Mordecai likes this.
  14. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I started at the <audio> tag, but it seems that most browsers don't support it currently. I couldn't get it to work it all, but <object> (what I used) worked for the most part.

15. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I think its a little premature to be throwing blows like that, isn't it? ( :p )

To answer your question though, I use FF.

rild likes this.
  16. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Some great stuff, really enjoyed listening to a lot of these, thanks for sharing :) Anyone done a particular tavern one yet :p Omni-psyence, really liked whisp and willow.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I have a tavern song in the works. I'm hoping to get some demos of the newer stuff up before Christmas. The biggest issue I'm having is finding a lute I like.

Ome and rild like this.
  18. sirWombat

sirWombat Avatar

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  19. Maus Merryjest

Maus Merryjest Avatar

20. Maus Merryjest

Maus Merryjest Avatar

https://soundcloud.com/maus-merryjest/the-honorable-ondarivas

New composition for Sota: The Honorable Ondarivas.

I wanted something regal, so I took the Dorian tune "L'Homme Arme" from the Renaissance (first appearance circa 1453). But then using the theme by itself which, admittedly does have its regal charm, was unsatisfactory, so I decided to dust off my old counterpoint and give the tune a bit of a treatment. In the process, I transposed the melody from Dorian to G-Dorian.

The treatment goes as such:
    -Statement of Theme
    -Fugato (three voices, aborted fugue at the exposition)
    -Retrograde theme, inverted retrograde theme, inverted and retrograde played together
    -Restatement of theme and capitulation.

I tried to keep in mind the Early Renaissance's preference for parallel fifths and sixths.

Orchestration:
    -Two horns-
    -Viola da gamba (alternates between tonic pedal and melodic)
    -Base drum.

Miracle Dragon and Mordecai like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.