SotA Video series playing the main storyline

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corv, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corv

Corv Avatar

I started a video series in which I will play the main storyline. If you are interested you can check it out here:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Interesting. As I stopped playing SotA due to some individuals in this community having drained my energy, patience and motivation for this game maybe I will follow your video series instead.

Dantuin, Sir_Hemlock, Salix and 11 others like this.
  3. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

An interesting video, I'm looking forward for the sequels :)
    I totally agree with you - I share the same feelings :( So you took the words right out of my mouth :cool:

HoustonDragon, Dantuin, Corv and 10 others like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

That is sad to hear Lord Darkmoon. It does take a lot of patience. ;)

Corvynn likes this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I read release notes for 12/12/2013 last night and noticed it said something about when to see more Offline game focus.

The fact that there are any public offline releases kinda puts them doing a bit more than they had originally planned

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Corvynn, Hornpipe and Gix like this.
  6. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

Because I'm so desperately trying to close my eyes and my ears, and avoid all these story spoilers, I just cannot watch the videos. But -- the idea sounds fantastic. You know, one day, I hope somebody does a full blown "Let's Play" video series with maybe some good commentary. Someone whose knowledge of the Lands would be great ;). I mean anybody, really, who has played and finished the previous Ultima games. Possibly more than once, each.

I would absolutely watch that kind of Let's Play! Not right now, of course. There may come a time where I am sort of forced to make a decision - just give up on personally feeling as deeply connected to this, and wanting to experience it first-hand, or not. But I'm not willing to just stop hoping, stop talking, yet.

As for Lord Darkmoon and Gix, I understand both sides, but find that I agree with Darkmoon. And, sorry to make that observation, but - I do not think that picture memes such as the one with Batman and Robin are helpful or constructive. Yes, all and in itself, it is the game that either makes you want to play it, or not. And participation on the forum connected to the game either makes you want to join, or leave. But these do not exist in a vacuum, and they are interwoven with each other tightly, at least as far as SotA is concerned. It can poison the well. Sometimes I've noticed that, when I attempted to talk about my love to the old Ultima games, and enjoy myself while conversing with others - including those who have wholly different opinions - like in every other place where opinions and ideas are shared, it seems to also attract those who would perpetually just say no, adding little to the conversation, slowing it down immensely. Or those that to me feel like, they're basically trying to defend their territory against ideas they don't like. So that it in part leaves me feeling unwanted. "Not one of us".

Ignoring these would make little sense. They have not offended me. They are not moderation material, at all. But the volume and repetition makes it feel socially awkward. Now, if that is intention, or not? I'm not going to accuse.

Corvynn, Spoon, Ahuaeynjgkxs and 2 others like this.
  7. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

*lights a candle and holds vigil before the shrine of Ultima V

Always, a Warrior of Destiny

8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Thanks to the op for the clip. Its interesting to see Shrouds latest dialogue, layout etc

Dantuin and Corvynn like this.
  9. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Oh my, how does a nice thread like this go off topic so fast? (rhetorical question)

@Corvynn, great idea to put this video series up (spoilers of course). And the storyline is still being polished, so you can decide when best to video portions of the storyline as you go. Yet... I suggest this:

- Create a new forum thread in the Player Created Resources forum to give your thread a fresh start.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/player-created-resources.486/

I hope this helps a little.

Dantuin, Corvynn and Sir Cabirus like this.
  10. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I've cleaned up the thread from those who started arguing about topics not related to the thread. Let's please keep it on topic from this point forward, thanks!

11. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

The entire starting area looks so much nicer now! Yes, I couldn't help myself. The temptation. So -- I did watch. Portions. And then a little more. Not the whole video, but still, a lot. What can I do, trying to pull the brakes on my sense of curiosity have never been my proudest moments. :]

The 3D faces do look a little nicer now, too. XD Why am I always staring at the buttcrack of the main character? These silly pants have their seams at places that make it look more silly than necessary! Argh! Must. Avert. Eyes. ;) Enough with the butts, there is a whole thread dedicated to them already!

So if you actually decide to make this a real series, and add more to it, like mentioned before, chances are I will watch it. You do explain how you played the old Ultima games, so that sort of makes me the comfort that you'll be aware of things happening, like I am. Things that will remind you of the older games in the series, or when you find an easter egg of sort. Still holding back though. When is the game really out for release again? Because I've done things like this before, you know. Watch videos and play games along to them.

Right now I'm watching the Let's Player Kikoskia play Ultima 8. And each time he publishes another twenty minutes of footage or so, I play along, save the game, and wait for his next episode. I've replayed other Ultima games, and most recently Ultima Underworld like that again, and it's sequel, too. Did the same with other game series, too. Zelda - Breath of the Wild for example. I watch some nice YouTuber to compare how well I'm doing, later on.

Corvynn likes this.
  12. Birko

Birko Avatar

Great idea Corvynn and I support and encourage you with your project.
    I think that there are a lot of longterm players that have been sitting back and waiting for things to be more complete (like me) before delving into the storyline and advancement.
    But I won't be watching your videos until I'm ready to expect spoilers, and that will be done at my own time. I still encourage you to document your journey as it will be a great future reference/recap for me.
    Now get involved with this community even if the forums are sometimes like sweaty old socks, and that you play offline, because your voice and opinions are welcome bare feats.

- Birko

Astirian and Corvynn like this.
  13. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Really nice video so far! Liked it alot! Its been a while i did my first coming in with character starting and all and it was great to see all progress made so far. So much stuff i never saw myself lol. Can't wait to see your next videos!

Rada Torment and Corvynn like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thank you for sharing the video and your thoughts and for keeping an open mind. I also agree with so much of what you said. The starting scene is so much better. I agree about the NPCs I don't think we always need dialogue but perhaps we could test some out, like a narator to set the theme. We have the most wonderful voices already in the community the development team could test out such as Asclepius, Womby, Doctor and more. They do plays and use their voice in game via our in game radio system.

Imo I think this could bring the scene alive much more. I also agree about the NPCs and they don't show much emotion. Still such an improvement but again missing some narative to set the scene like when you hear the voice saying: Long ago in a faraway land....................... Haha as an example

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1652395/out-box-rpg-audio

http://thecaverns.net/Podcasts/hungry-eyes-darkness/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...the-darkness-save-the-date.99487/#post-883408

Corvynn, LoneWerewolf and Jamet like this.
  15. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

Now that you mention a narrator, I'm all for that. Someone, somehwere here in these forum, some months ago told me, that Richard wasn't so fond anymore of the style of U7's dialogs and narration, which I personally loved so much. It would be so nice if they returned. Not necessarily in a narrators voice, but just like in Ultima of yesteryear. Like a book. Where you read what they say, but it would be less like:

"Hello. My name is Wile E Coyote -- Genius!"

And it'd be more like...

Gleaming eyes, filthy pelt. A strange creature greets you. "Hello.", the creature tilts his misshapen head, looking at you quizzically. Seconds pass, then something seems to click. "My name is Wile E Coyote -- Genius!", it grins, fangs flashing mischievously.

I suck at writing and giving you proper examples, but this would make a huge difference to me. Like hand drawn portraits would, contrasted to these somewhat bland 3D faces.

Deams of the past. I can't let go. They keep coming back. :)

But yes, still, even without all of this, the quality of that very scene was so much improved!

Corvynn and LoneWerewolf like this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well even if it started out with narration to describe our Avatars situation showing some short cinematic to set the feel of the game. It would not have to continue throughout the game but would give the beginning feeling. I was looking through some old rpgs I know of. One of my most favorite games early on was Gothic 1 and it's intro while looking very dated is an example of showing what happened and the descriptive narrative of it. I love that for this game It doesn't have to be all narration just where appropriate and true this is not all an RPG but will have both mmo and offline and they could both benefit from have their vibe stepped way up. They are still missing some feeling even though I do like so much of what has gone on, there is still emotion missing.

Corvynn and LoneWerewolf like this.
  17. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

I made a thread about this here. Not really narration but at least flavor text: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...eeds-to-learn-from-ultima-vii-dialogue.88186/

majoria70, Jamet and Corvynn like this.
  18. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

When i played dungeon and dragon online there was that narrator voice which sayed a few thing there and then as you advanced into a map or dungeon. It was really cool and gave another aspect of the fantasy of the game.

19. Corv

Corv Avatar

Thanks for watching :) Yeah was difficult for me to wait that long too. But like I said, I think it's ok to play it now and not wait for full release. So much changed since I last tried it.

Thank you for your encouragement! Yeah I'll try to post more. Have been reading the forum quite a bit, but didn't dare to get into those arguments. :)

Thank you! Next one will be up this weekend.

Ooooh yes, I agree with both of you - and I read your thread wolf! Having flavor text or narrative text or whatever you want to call it would be very very awesome! I think even essential. It doesn't have to go so far as to having a voice over narration, but at least tell me more about those NPCs. I think the examples in that linked Ultima 7 thread are great. I'll post one here:

[​IMG]

The dragon responds with great resignation "My will is not mine own in this matter".

Not having that flavor text 'the dragon responds with great resignation' is a great loss to this dialogue. :)

Anyway, thank you all very very much for your nice comments!

20. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Welcome to New Britannia Corvynn! always great to see new players expecting something big and good from the storyline, good job with those videos.

majoria70 and Corvynn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.