Spoilers: Path of Rage Quitting

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Poor game design, Sep 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3devious

3devious Avatar

You funny!
    He's been trying. I could repost the feedback of others. This is not a surprise. Just some of us feeling stupid and disappointed.

Mykll, Cordelayne, KuBaTRiZeS and 2 others like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The idea that I haven't spoken up in the past is a convenient one that ignores reality.

17,000+ posts. I've spoken up A LOT on a whole multitude of subjects, including quests at various stages of development. I was also a huge advocate for giving feedback sooner rather than later with the IMPORTANT exception that you had to be considerate of what stage of development they were in. One example of that would've been (had I not deleted the thread because it was continuously being necroed) the Spoiler Thread I made about the path of Love over a year ago. It didn't make sense to speak up about the path of love prior to that because 1. It wasn't very far a long and 2. The development team was well aware that the path of love had 100's of bugs that prevented players from completing it as intended. Yet what feedback I could give, I did. And some of that feedback resulted in changes.

But sure, ignore my contributions or dismiss them, that's your choice. I have no control over that. I can only continue to do what I do, which is provide actionable feedback over a very long period of time without getting banned, without spamming the same issues, without creating false narratives.

3. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I'm not sure how you expected us to give feedback on parts of the quest that weren't written yet. Hell, I still have side-quests they I haven't completed because they are bugged on my account.

4. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

LOL Even I got the White Knight designation on reddit. I think they should make a craftable White Knight armor pattern.

We could don our WK gear and wear it proudly at dance parties and other events

@DarkStarr @Lord British

5. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

we also have a player driven economy... lol otherwise known as the add on store

Mykll, digriz, neveser and 2 others like this.
  6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

White Iron plate. I can craft you some if you like... oh, with the new "can't buy recipies" I can't :(

(maybe epic white iron plate)

7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I think this sums up a good portion of it.

I have no issue with people waiting for the devs to say go for it because its all ready, because the devs were intentionally pushing out things slowly for both spoiler reasons and not wanting to be distracted from "finishing" and "polishing" the Path of Love. Also, many people have been complaining about broken quests in Path of Love since it started. Path of Love is STILL broken. Early feedback doesn't necessarily get things fixed.

Also, once you've told the the painter the color you want, you don't interrupt him every paint stroke to ensure he is still using the paint color we've been asking for. Bring up feedback, but give the devs time to actually do something with it. Seeing the game start in the color you want (quests in hidden vale) and getting where it sounds like we are now (as I can't get past PoL I can't confirm all the feedback others have given, but sounds like what I've experience in PoL so far) means you wind up with a rainbow house when expecting a simple paint job.

[​IMG]

Love the house painting analogy by the way. Its fun to play with.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Mykll, Tiina Onir and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Ah, the golden hat quest days. I get tears in my eyes just thinking back to those days. Back then the hat quests gave me a reason to log into the game and explore new scenes. Some tour guides were really easy to get to, and some were very challenging. I had a great sense of accomplishment when I reached the challenging ones. I had so much fun back then.

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The hats were the only reason you wanted to explore scenes? o_O Talking about incentives to go adventuring...

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  10. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Since I have completed the quest here is some feedback -

1. Make the ruins and the Paladis Shardfall either PVP only scenes or PVE only scenes. I agree that they should not be both, especially since the story hints tell you to go there. Maybe the Oracle can give you an item so you can be protected while in the ruins if you are doing the quests.

2. Add in hints that there are alternate routes - in the quest description - go to this ruined city or nearby underground route. They should add NPCs with a hint and quest to find the alternate route in a nearby city to the ruins.

11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I couldn't resist! :p

Also, I don't understand why people are ganging up on Drocis. We all want the same thing here and his review and feedback were accurate and fair. Instead of pointing fingers, why not offer some constructive insight to add to the conversation?

Numa, KuBaTRiZeS, Cianna and 4 others like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

I agree a lot with the OP...

I have to disagree with the one point that the problem is PvE in a PvP area or the problem is encounters while your doing quests, whether what we're talking about is encounters in a scene or random encounters on the Overworld.

Storywise, if I'm told that there's a small girl lost in a dangerous forest, I expect to run into wolves on my way to saving her. Yet, on the other hand, I don't expect wolves to be all over the place, and quickly re-spawn and get on my back when I'm in the middle of a puzzle. The problem from a story perspective is the mob spawns are designed for grinding and not storytelling or role-play purposes. They're just all over the place and they re-spawn quickly.

I actually liked the feel much more of some of the scenes made early on in the Hidden Vale, where the scenes are large and expansive and the mob and resource spawns are spaced out, so you have to actually go and find them -- hunt them out. Some of the newer scenes where mobs and resources are in heavy density and all over the place are good for easy grinding, but they're bad for every other type of gameplay.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Amen, brother. This alone should show what status the storytelling in this game has...

Moiseyev Trueden and Mykll like this.
  14. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I remember the conversation where you said this.

Kudos for the follow through

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Cash store when? You may have found an answer to Port's funding, just sell that house at fifty bucks a pop! Bonus if the colors are pseudorandom with the location as the seed.

Numa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Great feedback. I really wish I had the lack of ADD to make such detailed feedback. I have it, just not the wherewithal to tap it all out. Thank you for posting this.

17. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is really good feedback, and we are working on much of this going forward.

I will also note that much of your feedback needs to be directed to @Lord British as well, since as lead designer many of the decisions made here that you disagree with are his. I'll try to explain the reasoning when I can.

To specifics:

It's the finale of the quest, and a long-missing work. It should not be trivial to complete or finished in an afternoon. Some exploration will be necessary.

It's also not fun to go to a small room with no other features save a large arrow leading to a button that says "Give me what I want."

The clear problem here isn't that there's too many monsters, or that there's too many traps, it's that you're doing something you don't want to do. You said at the outset you were forcing yourself to do this quest. That's the problem. My question would be "why?" Are you forcing yourself simply to get the reward at the end?

And, as we've said many times before, if mobs are removed from a PvP scene, resources and any other rewards need to be removed as well. Otherwise they become perpetually farmed.

Having virtue gain/loss be invisible is something @Lord British has long insisted on. You'll have to convince him.

We've gotten better at using the conversation system to communicate dialog and not have it be so fragile, and plan to go through the entire main plot to make it more bulletproof. We did this for the ending of Path of Courage this past release, and are currently doing this for the ending of Path of Love this next release.

So, things we'll do short term and long term -

Short term:
    - Go through and axe respawn on all "story line" dungeons so that they can be more easy to solo. (Also adding Samael as a combat companion for Malice as part of the general refinement of that scene)
    - Adding notes to each of the quests for the Pages pointing out the alternative paths to the vaults
    - Making clearer what needs to happen in Brittany

Longer term:
    - Reworking the vaults/Pages so they are more interactive in execution, less of a scavenger hunt
    - Adding callouts to points in the plotline explaining why the player should give a flying femig about the Oracle

18. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Silly Fish, everybody knows wolves don't bother you unless you try chopping a tree

KuBaTRiZeS, 3devious, Elwyn and 5 others like this.
  19. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

@Lum the Mad thanks for the great response, I'm sure we are all looking forward to the improvements :)

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Wolves really don't like people touching their trees !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.