1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Steam Early Access Store Page is Live!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I just checked the links and videos and had no problems.

2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

And just to help clarify I edited the text in the Early Access section to now read:

"We hope to reach Beta by mid 2015 and launch shortly after that but we will not be launching until the product is ready."

3. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

@DarkStarr, small comment: The Early Access store page has a Language section on the right. It seems to me subtitles should be marked, since except for the intro video, there is no audio dialogue in the game, and all quest conversations happen over the chat interface. I suppose strictly speaking it's not subtitles, but there's nothing in game play that should exclude someone who needs or wants subtitle style interface.

4. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

*lawyers DarkStarr a little*

5. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

all the links work fine for me, 2 versions of the manual, one is PDF and one is off Google Docs...no issues here.

6. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

If you've played since the TOS and EULA dialog boxes appeared, you might find it interesting to read the section in the TOS that has to deal with release date and backer funding. If I remember correctly it basically implied the game has to be release within 1 year of expected/estimated release date before backer funds could be requested to be returned. Hopefully no one is upset enough to do that, but I thought it was interesting -- to me I interpreted it to mean they've set a hard cut off to their delivery date. So depending on when you start counting, that could push E1 release as far out as mid 2016... But this is wild speculation based on my wild interpretation of the TOS. :)

7. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I have a problem with the links from inside steam. The quick reference card and the first manual link don't come up. (Tested on Window 8.)

1) run steam.
    2) log in.
    3) in the library, go to the community hub.
    4) click on store page
    5) scroll down to the links.
    6) Click on the quick reference or the first manual link.

Neither of those links come up.

If you use the link in the original post,they work fine.

8. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Seems to be a problem just from the steam client. Using the supplied link works fine.

9. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Yeah, doesn't seem to want to display the PDF files, the google doc opened a browser for me.

10. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Not really a good thing to publish in an "official" guide:

[​IMG]

I appreciate Stile putting it together but Portalarium should clean it up a bit (at least remove it, etc)

KuBaTRiZeS and Duke Violation like this.
  11. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I'm super excited that the page is finally up! I would however like to point out that the Instruction PDF includes information about the patcher that the steam version doesn't use that portion of the instructions PDF can be removed. Also I really feel like the intro video is a lot better than the trailer but I guess that's mostly opinion lol. Anyways looking forward to seeing how all of this goes can't wait!

Lonn the Earl and Gaelis like this.
  12. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

smack you totally made me pull out the surface to reply... my phone quoting this text kept bugging the window!

Anyway, I asked Richard in-game during a Q&A session and Starr and Richard covered it during the week long 1-year party with Q&A stuff... it's always been more of a laid back "this is the goal" more than a "specific date with hardened make or break" from what I could tell... if you wanted the references though I'd say it was done as publicly as possible and if memory serves, during the 1-year anniversary videos someone asked and that's how they responded...

Again, I've followed up in-game a couple times and haven't seen anything changed over the last few months. I think Starr's reply captured it better than mine though... almost like he's got experience with releasing information to a group of gamers or something... creepy.

In other news... STEAM! *makes the blwah sound from the Burger King commercial* IT'S HERE GUYS! :) Welcome to all the new "steamy" folks ;)

Lonn the Earl and Gaelis like this.
  13. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I agree with this 100%; however, I think it's VERY clear that the game is EARLY access and not polished. If people can't accept a help doc that is in a similar form then I think it's best they wait to test the game. I think putting dev time on this doc isn't the best use right now... give Stile some time and I'm sure he'll update it again. He has a job and 100 community obligations like some others so... give him a bit and he'll probably update it for them so they don't have to.

14. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I suspect it's because they are targeting different audiences with those two videos. The intro video hits those of us who are already "hooked" and pulls us back to those old, early memories of the early Ultimas.

Meanwhile, the second video appears to be tailored specifically for the folks who live and breathe through Steam. I think they are a pickier crowd, tend to have played everything, and so for them, this shows all that Shroud of the Avatar can offer them.

That's just my guess (having worked in advertising a bit eons ago).

Lonn the Earl and Duke Violation like this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I would like to see a new chart like the one they posted a few months ago with the pledge break down. Well after it goes live on on steam ofcource.

16. DarkStarr

Just confirmed that there is a bug with the Steam store pages in the steam client that does not allow downloads of PDFs. You can still download them from either the website or the game in your library. I verified with a few other games and they have the same issue. I am going to let our Steam Rep know.

Good points about the quick ref card. We should do our own version, let me see if I can direct someone to work on that.

Also good points about the patcher. When we do the updated version for R12 we will clearly label that part of the manual as "non steam"

17. smack

smack Avatar

Hmm, a quick reference card with art by Denis Loubet would be perfect :)

18. Owens Casey

Owens Casey Avatar

I love steam LOL. I have 76 games on steam plus my old games on disc that I added through cd key.
    So glad sota is working with steam!

i hope i play sota as much as i've played mount and blade warband ..... steam has recorded i have now played .... 1019 total hours of mount and blade.

yes i love the feudal system, sota could learn a few things from m & b I think.

19. DarkStarr

That would be awesome but expensive...

20. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Just sell off a dev team member or two!

Lonn the Earl and Duke Raas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.