Subscription Fee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cordelayne, Jan 10, 2018.

?

Would You Pay A Subscription Fee?

1. YES

38.3%
  2. NO

49.0%
  3. UNDECIDED

12.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That and I've already paid in enough to cover my subscription for the next 85 years.

Xandra7, Budner, Salix and 5 others like this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Because DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yet still, the store is loaded with things to buy. You could buy them or not. Your choice. The autopay thing doesn't change this.

4. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

Perhaps I'm in the minority here but I like the telethons. I get to interact with the Devs., ask questions, kick ideas around between players and the Devs. respond. I don't want to lose the that. That said, I'd like the ability to auto pay the telethon minimum for my accounts. My 2¢. ;)

majoria70 likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

gtesser and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree. I really enjoy the telethons and find them interesting to watch. I also enjoy getting to know and interact with the developers making this game.

Elwyn and Obsidian Tempest like this.
  7. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Lots of crowdsourced games do interactions with the public, without it being a "telethon". You can do one without the other.

yinki2 likes this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Always thought a telethon is something done for charity ? I mean technically speaking... isn't it ?

yinki2 likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And you know what? I have. :oops:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  10. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Nah it's just making a public spectacle of begging.
    Obs is old like me and remembers the days of the Jerry Lewis telethons where they had entertainers that were current famous people not washed up celebrities desperate for publicity. I don't hate the beg-a-thons and often roll my eyes when people are bouncing off the walls with excitement over them yet I still submit questions and watch them nonetheless.

11. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Personally...I think it'd be somewhat cool if they had a stockholders meeting and discussed these things. idk.. I have this romantic notion that my investment will prove to be an actual "Investment" .. meaning something more than a pdf stock certificate I can print off as a novelty item. Again.. somewhat repeating myself here...if we build a great game (and this game has more potential for longevity than many of the other offerings out there) we should see revenues increase as a matter of course with new players buying accounts.. upgrading those accounts... picking up those extra items that are store (or COTO) only.

The other thing is that we actually already have a fairly decent sized player base... it's just that they aren't active. I don't know how many actually individuals are behind the # of accounts (I have 7; ) but I think it'd be safe to say we probably have somewhere in neighborhood of 10,000 individuals .. perhaps more. We have to kind of guestimate as we don't have a breakdown from Port as to how many log in via the native launcher vs the Steam launcher.. but I'd venture a guess that the active population is less than 5% (I think that's probably a high number) of the number of individual account holders. My thought has always been that we'll see a significant increase in the active population once we officially "release/launch". I could be wrong of course... but as I walk through various towns it's glaringly apparent that there are folks with investments that I just can't imagine walking away from. If that 5% number increased to just 30% it would seem that the revenue would pop.

It's also my hope that we'll see a decrease in the number of telethons etc. Personally... I already have enough "fluff stuff". There are those occasional items (ice halberd for example) that would be of a personal interest to me.. but I'd rather see them put those items in game on a COTO vendor so I could grab the ones I wanted and forget the rest.

@DarkStarr ?

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I thought you had abandoned polearms ? :p

13. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Why not just make it (and call it) an optional automatic $5 purchase off the add-on store because that's exactly what it is.

Not sure why Port would want to go anywhere near the word subscription especially since this idea doesn't even sound like one.

If I had - and took - the option to buy 5 cotos off the add-on store every month during the telethon timeframe... does that mean I'm "subscribed" or that I instead made an optional $5 purchase...?

Senash Kasigal and Solazur like this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Semantics... And whatever it's called, the Doomsayers will re-label it with whatever term they deem to be the most controversial and objectionable so as to manufacture the most outrage.

Senash Kasigal and Sara Dreygon like this.
  15. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Well the game was promoted on Kickstarter as buy to play and no subscription. Staying away from that term would be good.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Spoon, Sara Dreygon and Elwyn like this.
  16. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Thou speaketh blasphemy:p

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'm assuming there's a "not" missing in your post...

It still is Buy to Play, and not Subscription... Even if there is some sort of voluntary subscription offered, no fee or other monetary expenditure is required to play the game beyond the initial purchase... That is the definition of "Buy to Play"

18. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Yea, I edited it right after I posted it. I think if people see a subscription on option on the game, they will assume it is needed.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And any decision that the Developers make will be twisted, and spun, and cast in the worst possible light by the Doomsayers, for they have decided that this game will fail, and are emotionally invested in seeing their prediction come true... This has been shown to be true time and time again over the last 4 years. The Developers are literally damned by the Doomsayers if they do, and damned by the Doomsayers if the don't. In light of this, they do as they have always done and make their decisions based on what they (They, the Developers, with decades of experience) determine to be in the best interest of the game. It is their only option.

Nikko likes this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

What a bleak view of the world 0.o There's a myriad reasons for people to worry for the game... in many different ways :)

Mykll likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.