Subscription Fee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cordelayne, Jan 10, 2018.

?

Would You Pay A Subscription Fee?

1. YES

38.3%
  2. NO

49.0%
  3. UNDECIDED

12.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

No I would not, the bundles and pledges were a buy the game and that was it. I do consider these monthly telethons an "optional" sub fee as it is. I doubt they would go away even with a regular monthly sub fee.

Solazur likes this.
  2. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

So, based on this thread alone, it appears it would be a good idea for Portalarium to enable the ability for people to *optionally* become subscribers. They'd be likely getting at least 5 or so dollars from some 80 people per month at the very least. And that is only counting the people here in the forums that actually saw this very thread...

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

These people opting for this optional sub. Just spend your money in the cash shop and call it a sub. No need to involve others.

Atmosfear, moxiepilot and 3devious like this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Don't sub, then you won't be involved.

LoneStranger and Nikko like this.
  5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you just basically said the same thing. What difference is a voluntary sub or voluntary buying from the cash shop. Unless they undercut the cash shop items they would include in the sub "goodies" then possibly. I see this prob being another community dividing idea.

6. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I honestly don't understand where some of the bad attitudes come from. I'll explain this from my perspective. I suspect I am not alone in my current situation (kids and real life stuff just doesn't give me a ton of time for game stuff right now). I have spent very little on the game in the last year. Mostly that's because I don't have time to attend ANY of the telethons, and I frankly just don't think of buying stuff from the store often. If I had the option of a subscription, I'd probably do it, and Portalarium would get a little bit more than they do now. It really is that simple. Port can put a very small amount of dev time into making this an OPTION, and then they will likely have a handful of dedicated people willing to subscribe, if the price is right, and we get some little things here and there (nothing that others can't already get).

Why are people so upset about this if it ended up being a 100% optional thing? Bewildering at the least...

*edit* - misspelled a word

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    LoneStranger likes this.
  7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do not think being opposed to something is a "bad attitude". Simple debate requires different sides to be taken. They could put a "telethon token" in the add on store also. One could purchase it in his free time before the telethon.

Atmosfear, Mykll and 3devious like this.
  8. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Ravicus... if they made it an option, how does it "involve others?" I still don't get it. There is only ONE thing that I read on this entire thread that makes me think they might not want to do this, and that is the post about how some people could misunderstand the thing as "mandatory subscription to get access to the game," and that this could then damage the reputation in an unneeded way. Because people cannot read things, and take 5 seconds to try to understand things fully... Literally every other thing people have said against this makes no sense to me. It is like me being upset that a bakery that I have never visited has started to offer a new flavor donut that I really don't like.

LoneStranger and Katu like this.
  9. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Well, remember where you are.

Would this bring in more money, or would it bring in lesser guaranteed money? People may fire up the telethon and put in their $5. And like the candy rows of the check out line grab something else. Where, the $5 subscription people may fire and forget, and never both with looking at the telethon again but maybe check the next day or so to see what goods other people unlocked for their subscription.

Nikko and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

It might be just perception as you said. In the kickstarter it says you will not have to pay a sub. If there are perks involved in a sub then people might feel they have to sub just to get the perks. No they do not "have to" but its an emotional ploy, just like keeping up with the jones's. I can see, although I am not saying it is, but people might call it pay to win again if there are perks involved. Perception is key.

Nikko and Mykll like this.
  11. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

And that would be my one real concern on it. I just wouldn't want it to somehow taint the perception of things. That is why I would not really want the subscribers to get anything special that you can't already just get otherwise. I hear you.

12. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

A good point here... I'm sure this could happen to some extent.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I am not sure that having a subscription would work if the subscribers don't get something special for subscribing. I personally have a pledge tier that includes all 5 episodes of the game. I would still pay a subscription if it is earning me points to buy things and gives a daily or weekly reward for playing and maybe some things like a special mount. I want the game to stay funded so I over look that I already spent as much on this game as I did on my new computer. I luckily had 2 years of a payment plan to buy into this game to spend as much as I did, otherwise I could not have done it. So for me I want this to be my playground. The content will continue for years if the game is funded. So to me it will be a higher quality game it gets the funding needed to continue to create better things for the world. I know some don't want to do subscriptions. I chose not to in Star Wars the Old Republic but it was not my game as this one is. It was a puttering game not my real game in times before this was developed so much. Now I don't play it anymore.

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Only 1 thing is different. A mode of payment that is desired by many would be available that is currently not available.

3devious and Sara Dreygon like this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

strawman argument. You do not know how many desire it. You have a few on the forums here, but you do not know about the other 64.9k backers.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No... no, it's really not...

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

explain

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Who cares?

The word many is a half arsed word use to identify more than a few. This thread alone illustrates many people would like it.

Unless you are one of those types that must have the last word. There is no reason to target a single word usage that easily can be adjust to what ever word you choose. As long as it means more than a few.

Talk about people attempting to be argumentative for the sake of arguing... It's pretty simple to understand that some wouldn't mind this feature and it doesn't need to be turned into some kind of scam conspiracy.

Auto payment. Not special perks. And next time try not to stuff a strawman in my hand and claim I am propping up a stawman.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you are very argumentative. To answer the question: Who Cares? Obviously I do, and obviously you don't. So why so combative. Its just a discussion dude. Relax.

20. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you all very much for the feedback, we appreciate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.