1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Taming Changes Incoming

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Some of these will appear in R33 (hopefully most):
    1. Min Level to Summon: There will be a minimum level in Summoning required to summon a creature based on that creature's level
    2. Taming Skills affect Creature Power: Your taming skills will affect the power/level of your creature effectively leveling that creature as your skills increase. Note that this works both ways so that if someone with a lower level summons a higher level creature that creature will be weaker. Each creature will have a min/max power range so low level creatures can only get so powerful and high level creatures will only be so weak.
    3. Higher Creatures use More Focus: Higher level creatures will demand much more focus from the caster making it almost impossible for a player with low focus to do anything else
    These changes are still in development so details may / will change so it is VERY unlikely I will be able to provide more specifics than the above.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

3. agra

agra Avatar

Great to see.

A few things you may wish to consider/reconsider.

For #3, if the design goal is to prevent lower level players from utilizing extremely powerful/higher level pets, there's at least one option that isn't quite so punitive;
    • Use the DELTA between the player level and the creature level to determine the focus cost to maintain control. That way, higher level players aren't punished for simply using a pet that's reasonable for their level. It would also be a benefit, then, focus-wise, to use a pet slightly less powerful than the player.
    • Keep in mind "Concentration" (Taming Tree) and "Combat Training" will also need to be adjusted in light of these new realities, and players refunded the XP they expended on those skills. Combat Training is woefully underpowered for the investment, at the moment. (I believe it adds 3 hit points to the pet per 17 skill points)
    Also, for #2, just cap the creature power/HP/adventure level to the adventure level of the player. It's simpler to implement and simpler to understand for the player. Your pet is never higher level than you. Full stop. Done. move on.

If you're looking for a way to make tamers happy, a metal scraps recipe for Silver Ingots (similar to Iron and Copper) would go a long way. Gold too, for that matter.

One other item of note, "Collar Recovery" in the Taming tree currently does nothing. Or, if it does something, it is not reflected in the "Chance to consume reagents" tooltip value in "Tame Creature". Specifically, the "Chance to consume reagents" remains at 100% no matter what skill level "Collar Recovery" is at, be that 0, 10, or 40.

Finally, if you're not aware, it should be noted that since July 28th, many many many players took advantage of the "if your chance to tame is less than 0.000001%, you don't use a collar" bug to level taming up to GM. It would likely be wise, to prevent disillusionment of your existing tamers who didn't exploit that bug, to compare the number of collars consumed, historically, with the current taming level and make adjustments as required. ;)

ibad2, Chatele, Mazirian and 16 others like this.
  4. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Will magic tree summons get similar love / polish / frickin' lasers?

Majestikk, enderandrew, Ancev and 9 others like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

We can summon sharks?

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

hopefully, but I think we need air magic to get the full sharknado effect.

7. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Collar recovery -does- work, and it's why most people gm'd without wasting collars. The delta between creature level and collar recovery affects your chance to lose a collar on failure. So, for example, if I have a high enough collar recovery, i can tame something with < 0.1% and never lose a collar unless it succeeds, until my taming is high enough.
    That's why most people binge up to 60-80+ collar recovery, then raise their taming on something "safe".

Now that being said, the bug/design that heal creature raises the taming passives does need to be fixed.

Glad to hear these upgrades are going in, we've been asking for them for ages!

However, hopefully the minimum level isn't too high, or tamers will no longer have a market for anything.
    Maybe a combination of adventurer level + taming skill?
    So for example, with 0 taming a newbie couldn't use a small red spider, but a level 20 could (so it's about their level).
    Whereas a high level tamer at level 20 could use something well beyond it's level.

Thwip, Ice Queen, Sir Grant and 7 others like this.
  8. agra

agra Avatar

Pray tell, how do you know this? The tooltip value for "Chance to consume reagents" never changes, regardless of the skill of Collar Recovery.

Time Lord, Acred and Leelu like this.
  9. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Because i'm a >gm tamer, have tamed over a hundred npcs, burned over 1000 silver, and have a mountain of empircal data not only on this release, but on many releases previous. I tested and compared past data to the current release, and it is still accurate.

If you need to verify it yourself, here is the following super-easy test, for this test you will need 40k banked experience, and 40 taming.
    Lock taming at 40, collar recovery at 0.
    Go tame an elder wolf. Record the number of tries, and the number of collar consumptions.
    Unlock collar recovery and raise it to 40 via heal creature, then lock it
    Go tame an elder wolf. Record the number of tries, and the number of collar consumptions.

Compare the two trials. Repeat as neccessary to low variance.

If the tooltip updated, you would just complain it "doesn't accurately reflect" because the amount the skill affects changes per each monster, 40 collar recovery affects a gm level monster differently than a level 40 monster, so you'd have to do some *gasp* math to make sense of it.

ibad2, Magos, Mazirian and 12 others like this.
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Its fine I agree with changes to taming I just wish they were more intuative than JUST in the skill tree.

Also its wierd to me that just about each magic tree has a pet and we have taming yet you cant have ur mage pet and your tamed pet out.

Tamed pets are the superior choice by far before and after r33s adjustment.

And @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos suggested multiple skelton summons I agree the skele in the death tree would be cooler if there were 3 weaker ones since that tree has a lich already.

11. agra

agra Avatar

Good theories, but again, until a dev post confirms it (or you post your evidence), it's your opinion. Seems like an awful lot of time spent without any hard numbers, but to each their own, I guess.

Time Lord and Acred like this.
  12. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

redfish, rild, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  13. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Here is the part that addresses #2 and ties in summoning.

curt quote:
    "I think both pets and summons should somehow scale with the players str/dex/int/health/focus"

[my response] (cut and paste messed up)
    If they scale, how do you consider them visually? "That avatar has an obsidian wolf, but I wonder if it is a weak one?" I do not buy that part. An obsidian wolf is an obsidian wolf. A daemon is a daemon. A simple skeleton is not a hardened skeleton (but summoning can be more interestingly tied to summon skill there). Interesting....

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

End of this super cheaty combo:

FRIENDS MULTIPLAYERS ONLINE
    SUPER OP SPIDER's PARTY
    SANCTUS SPINE
    AFK

GG !!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Ancev, Sara Dreygon and Time Lord like this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

This needs to be very well thought out and make it sure you are low and you can raise it later and not high.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Indeed - if this is not implemented correctly, it'll be impossible for a tamer to keep his pet healed... at all.

I like some of the ideas above about using deltas and other possible ways of calculating this, such that the nerfbat doesn't so greatly affect the innocent.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

If it ends the easy mode I am all for it.

19. Derium

Derium Avatar

+1

I'm a tamer and I love these changes. It was very unrewarding just buying a ferocious wolf spider and just murdering everything before I even leveled up any taming skills.

Mazirian, Elwyn, Abydos and 5 others like this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

The damage that that wolf can do, should be proportionate to your skills in the Taming Tree - nothing else.
    If your Taming tree is high, then you should be able to count on that wolf living up to his name.

gadget, Shade Cido, Ice Queen and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.