Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Taming Nerf

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Loaffer, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Prob correct.. it does look like taming is being shaped to be much less useful, and more of a support (?) skill.. though I wonder how supportive it is when I can instead spend these millions of points into focus increase and shield of air or pretty much anything better than a 100hp Large Red Spider :p

2. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

You do make a good point. But, even though he may not live as long, the spiders do still offer a slight increase in dps and also a dot. Just make sure you get agro first :p Also, because they are working on taming now, still trying to get it fixed/balanced correctly. So I'm going to give them time.

Bow Vale and Fister Magee like this.
  3. jutman

jutman Avatar

Agreed. I have cooled off a lot now. Sorry for some of my earlier less constructive posts. But I have been playing noticeably less than when I could use my large red spider that I did tame and not bought.

4. Frosin

Frosin Avatar

And to change the direction a little in term of suggestion.

How about we change the cost needing to level up the skill as well?
    - Make the collar a crafted item that has durability starting at like maybe 50/50.
    - Rework the chance of losing a durability/collar (it should have wear and tear but losing a huge collar randomly? did the animal eat it or something?)

Changing the cost needing to level this skill up to be more in line with other tree could be a good direction and a better argument to make scaling higher [Just dont use 200 as benchmark please]. It already cost millions of xp just for a few points of skill up in the first place and with new economy changes, it might not be unreasonable to have the cost lowered.

Pet scaling / uniqueness
    - Pet power should have different range of scaling / peak based on that creature itself. Lets take obsidian wolf as a example/baseline in this suggestion and make it that it has minimum stats of what obsidian wolf can go down to at 60 and peak at 90 (if same stats as R32), 80~90 is a reasonable point to reach for most player, and even then it is not at the same level of effectiveness as other combat tree with same amount of points investment.
    - Different pet should have a few stats that define them or dominate in, bear [high hp, huge 1 hit but slow, special as knockdown, above average armor, average movement speed], spider [low armor, low hp, special as poision with high dot, below average bite damage, snare, low movement speed]...just some example. Wont mind seeing pet's unique skill as trigger as well that can cost the pet resource/focus to perform.

5. jutman

jutman Avatar

Frosin. Good points. One thing I did not understand is why my large red spider had focus but didn't use it. Maybe it takes away from its focus when it hits a mob with web and same with other special attacks from other pets. Sort of like a dragon and its mana in UO.

6. Deiniak

Deiniak Avatar

I think that is the source of many unbalanced skill
    1% of population will reach this cap : Power Gamers

Mykll likes this.
  7. gandik

gandik Avatar

agree , 100 is GM so why 200?

8. Frosin

Frosin Avatar

Just want to add on to this thread.

Special pet attack/buff that use pet focus as well as minimal amount of tamer focus should also be introduced as a tamer tree skill, but instead of using our own focus bar that is well...pretty nicely drained atm even with high passive level. This should help us in training our tamer passive as well instead of spamming heal creature the entire time.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  9. Roper

Roper Avatar

I just saw the results from patch 4.73. Well done and thank you.

Keflara, Shade Cido and Fister Magee like this.
  10. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

I second that emotion. Thank you, devs, for listening to us and acting so quickly! Cheers! :D

11. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Thank you for what? Focus is now down to 10%. Why can't they for once make it BALANCED. They either remove pet HP to 10% or your focus to 10%... Jusdt give me back the way it was in 472. It was at least making some kind of sense... 473 is just stupid extreme again.

Shade Cido likes this.
  12. Frosin

Frosin Avatar

Pretty sure they will make more balance changes in that aspect, I was just kind of glad that they at least put a bandage on that gaping wound for the time being before weekend hit.

13. Purefalcon

Purefalcon Avatar

Thank you for making the pet not insta-kill anymore. Im far from beeing a master tamer, but after the change, it has about twice the hitpoints and at decent skill, it might be viable once more.

I dont see any focus change, its still the same for me as it was in both past versions. (i dont have any points in focus reduction)

EDIT: wrong, i was just training a bit of int/focus, cost went up from 130 to 160 focus.

Update again: The focus cost increases by a huge amount with skill/pet level. That makes it realy hard for people not dedicated to the taming tree to have a decent one out (summoning still only at 30, and my obsidian wolf is at 170 focus cost) - gotta need that focus-cost-reduction for sure now, but not impossible without it either. Just much harder.

i love the idea, thanks again devs for a realy quick reaction. :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Saosis likes this.
  14. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

My experience with the latest patch: instead of 59 HP my Large Red Spider now has 160 HP (summoning skill is level 29). The focus drain has increased, so that without my pet my focus is 389, but it goes down to 229 when I summon my pet. In my tests in a 5-skull area:
    • I can kill one elder wolf without my pet using only my spells. (One wolf at a time is my limit at adv level 47.)
    • I can kill one elder wolf using my pet, but my focus runs out and I rely on my pet to help me.
    So my ability to kill something does not increase when I use my pet except for the distraction factor (when the mob is attacking the pet it is not attacking me), but the pet is not so overpowered that it cannot be killed easily.

All in all I think this is an improvement.

Krohon and Weins201 like this.
  15. gandik

gandik Avatar

guys , forget about taming. after changes you nedd train 3+ skills to almost max to efectively use pets, get sumon elemental or deamon insted, then you have pet vhith 234 hp at level 1 skill, only 42 focus drain and at last you have to train only one skill !!!!
    and of curse they using ability like heal [water elem]

Shade Cido, Krohon and Fister Magee like this.
  16. agra

agra Avatar

Don't like the most recent change in 473. With a 379 focus pool my pet costs me 216 focus, leaving me with 163. That's 57% of my focus gone to the pet, and the pet still only has 234 hit points. Summoning is at 75, Taming at 90. Used to cost me 102 focus in build 469, now 216, more than double.
    Not worth it, terrible change. :( From the look of things, the more you improve, the more you're punished. Not good. Won't be using a pet now, wish I had 9 books to recover all my poorly invested XP. :oops:

If I had put all that XP into INT instead, one cast of a spell would have likely made up the damage done by the pet during a fight. smh.

17. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

What I find hard is we make gold, real dollar and significant time investments in our character builds, only to have arbitrary rule changes evicerate our investments. I would prefer @DarkStarr if changes were applied heretofore only, and not retroactively. It is to me only fair to keep in place that which was earned/created/accumulated during certain rules, and change how future things happen so decisions can be made by all on a level playing field. Several large investments in items I have made have been taken away from me by rule changes, which I believe is improper. Especially when those with access to certain forums know early about rule changes, giving them a huge advantage to trade/sell items to others knowing they will be nerfed next release (unbeknownst to the other party). My sword I paid dearly for had a special tremor power on hit, which was taken away from me, like my Spider's power. Together over 100k gold essentially evaporated because of rule changes. And each time the seller of these items got to keep the gold, while I kept items now decimated in effectiveness without warning.

We are live now, and what we earn is supposed to be ours forever. Neither of these items were created by abuse of a rule or an exploit, else I would be 100% in favor of nurfing or suspending the exploiting offenders.

Sorry for the post, I pledged not to post anymore because of past issues. I will (like Kramer, apparently) renew my vow of silence.

Krohon likes this.
  18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

on 8 Aug there was a post that told everyone what was coming this was less than 2 weeks after launch . . .

not much more needs to be said.

Now if in those 2 weeks you already GMed taming - well that is a whole other issue.

There is a Scroll / book to unlearn what you want to adjust.

Oh and BTW it has been 2 days - two since the patch hit and . . . . . .

peace out.

Krohon and Kara Brae like this.
  19. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

They need to make a balance between power of the tamed pets and the focus drain imposed on player and mix skills into that, ultimately.

20. jutman

jutman Avatar

So I was excited when I read they the DEV's fixed the "bug" that nerfed back the HP of pets so much. Now I log on the game and try it out myself. If this is still their solution to the nerf of the taming tree then yes they have STILL totally killed taming. Pets are still worthless espically with this amount of focus drain. Simple solution to this entire taming issue was to have left pets the way they were in R32 and just place summoning restrictions on pets such as tier level summoning so that people with no to little taming in the game could not summon higher end pets. This has been a total failure on the DEV's part. They have basically killed the part of the game that many people enjoyed playing.. Guess I will have to put all my taming on hold while they figure out a better way to fix the problem that had such a simple solution. Once again if this game had stock holders, the stock holders would be incredibly upset and sell off their stocks (probably for a loss) due to these issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.