Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Taming Nerf

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Loaffer, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

What if....I want to kill stuff BAD! :eek:

Serious note, I think they should just combine what they have done, with what (some) people have wanted basing it off of a UO standpoint:
    1 - You need a certain taming level just to be able to summon a pet.
    2 - Keep the Summon + Combat = Stats method to the pet, except, I would say lower the bar to say 100 or 120 or something, and make that bar where the pet reaches it's original stats. Anything after that, use the Mage Summons and start increasing it's effectiveness after that.
    3 - Using the above, it wouldn't take people needing to get to 200 in the skills just to see good results and would also make people less angry, especially those that have already worked, hard might I add, getting the original pet boosting stats up to said bar.

Just my opinion.:D

Elric Von\'Wyrd, Krohon and Mykll like this.
  2. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Tis independent of my feelings. But apparently the developers thought it was a critical imbalance in the game. So much so that they recognized many players were taming simply for the mechanical superiority and offered a free unlearning tome to compensate for that with the understanding that those people would drop taming if it was not OP.

This is not Taming the game. As one of many systems, taming should fall in line with relative power spectrum. They did go a little too far. They are now adjusting. Check out what happens with the new patch.

Depends on if you view taming as being an Adventuring Skill or a Business Skill (acquiring and selling pets). I tend to fall into the adventuring skill camp and thus tend to agree with you. But those who view it as a potential business skill might reasonably disagree. That being said, taming tree should offer perks that enhance a pet, making a tamer's version superior to non-tamer purchased ones.

Fister Magee and EtherBunny like this.
  3. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Its funny to me to read comparisons to SotA taming and UO taming, they are so different!

Taming in UO was a lot of fun, sure I died many times trying to tame a dragon or white wyrm but the feeling of actually succeeding is far more enjoyable than in SotA. Even controlling a pet in UO was much better. I tried taming in SotA a few releases ago, laughed at how "collars' are needed and the material requirements needed etc and just gave up, its not worth the hassle to me.

Ice Queen, Mykll and EtherBunny like this.
  4. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Everyone please note that there was a bug causing summoning to be so crappy.. and @Chris says...

Krohon likes this.
  5. Deiniak

Deiniak Avatar

hmmm... did he show his skill ?? do he have a reasonable 100 or he set himself to 200 ??

Mykll likes this.
  6. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

Granted, resources got a lil on the pricy side after a while, but still wasn't too bad. On the comparison side, I meant more along the lines of 50 taming in UO would not net you control of a WW or a Dragon, you needed to be whatever skill just to get it traded to you, let alone tame it and have it follow your command. Now, the SotA part was more with the skill to tame/summon ratio, not the pet losing control and snacking on you, as that was never fun...funny yes, fun no.

7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I've removed several posts for inflammatory behavior and derailing of the thread. We are talking about the changes to taming. Keep it on subject or we will close the thread.

Anastasia and Jasper8282 like this.
  8. jutman

jutman Avatar

Well one of the new patches it out... no updates to taming that I can visibly see.
    Let me offer a suggestion that would fix all the taming related issues. Delete the taming tree and replace it with a new skill..... I don't know maybe something like yodeling or even banjo picking but then someone might say that is over powered and want that nerfed too. (This was Aludeing to bards I. UO being nerfed) sorry I should have made that clear.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Elric Von\'Wyrd and Mykll like this.
  9. Jasper8282

Jasper8282 Avatar

@jutman The tongue in cheek comments won't help our cause of fixing Taming. It will only derail it and cause the devs to stop listening and close the thread. Please tame it down

Yes.... I said tame it down :p

Mykll and majoria70 like this.
  10. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Oh I agree, 50 taming shouldnt allow one to control a dragon. SotA allowing a low level person to control a high level pet has been allowed for far too long, and finally now they decide to try to "correct" it, of course after there will be no more wipes.

Ice Queen, Mykll and Krohon like this.
  11. jutman

jutman Avatar

well the 2nd part of it was mean to be sarcastic... main point was can anyone see any difference in taming as of latest patch or are we waiting on a later patch in the day?

12. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Port should have somebody monitoring the game 24/7/365 (366 every 4 years!) to avoid exploits and later on harsh nerfings.

Sure the main losers are us the players. But if the players are not happy, Port incoming will decrease. So, at the end of the day, we all lose.
    I am asking:
    1. To the players: Please report exploits as soon as you learn about them.
    2. To Portalarium: Please monitor the game better.

Mykll and jutman like this.
  13. jutman

jutman Avatar

Krohon. I agree. Very proactive players in helping to report exploits will help only to improve then game. But as we all know there are always bad apples on every tree. But by reporting them soon and not utilizing them should help to help in the removal of exploits that would prevent fruther major nerfing in the game.

Mykll, Krohon and Tahru like this.
  14. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

So true and I agree, many aspects of this game are too job like. Its a game and suppose to be fun, unfortunately this game isnt fun in its current state.

Mykll, EtherBunny and Elric VonWyrd like this.
  15. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

That's a yes and a no for me. Crafting, feels like a job to me, lol. I even took a smoke break last night while refining my 20 stack :p But, if something gets boring, try something new! :D After seeing my pet last night, which I literally lol'd at, but hey, is all good, I decided to try something different. So I spent about an hour crafting a Fortified (not the hood....epic looks better) Carapacian cloth set so that I could re-work on some magery. And....it was fun again! Except when I found 3-4 Hardened skeleton archers....that was just painful :p Regardless, it's only going to be fun if you make it fun! :D

16. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

I have tried something new, I am playing other games until this one is finished.

Mykll and EtherBunny like this.
  17. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

lol. Okay, not quite what I was going for, but to each their own :D

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  18. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

Yea, I see what your saying here. Myself, I guess I'm just more...hhmmmm...easy going??o_O Then again, since the start of persistence, I've changed playstyles a lot, lol. I just couldn't (still kind of can't now) find what felt good to play. So I came up with multiple play sytles: Tamer, Dual-wield crit build, pure mage, 2h wep/dmg/dodge build, stealthy play and straight up healing/support. This way (all my personal opinions and playstyles), if I do get bored or irritated with the way something is going, I just cool off, change decks/gear/weapons, and go at it again! :D But I do understand what you're saying, with dedicating a lot of time/money/resources to a tree that just got hit hard, effectively making you obsolete for the time being. On a good note though, Chris did say that they were going to be working on adjusting it (for the better) in a patch later today. So that's some good news! :)

Krohon likes this.
  19. jutman

jutman Avatar

Well. After studying the skill trees a little bit it seems like taming is not meant to be a main skill. It appears to me it's meant to be a support skill but I am disappointed in the major nerf to taming. Can any DEV's give insight to my thought if taming was meant to be a support skill like tactics or was it meant to be a main skills like blades?

Fister Magee and EtherBunny like this.
  20. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

Pretty good point. I've got my money on support skill, as it's down there with the rest of them. Also, because it would be really hard to get by with ONLY taming. Pure mage - check, Pure warrior - check, Pure - Tamer...mmmmm...... Ranger is doable, with the ranged tree, but as far as it being main and over archery....I'm going to cast my vote in the negative pile. My thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.