1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Tax Free Lots are Backer Rewards Only

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Remember, it continues to be about raising funds to build the game, not locking in a players's pay-to-play rights so much. The rules may change to better enable that. Folks contributing to a kickstarted campaign should be wary of that.

2. Nexblade

Nexblade Avatar

while im not sure what wagram was exactly going on about, i do feel him and you *Beaumaris* are on the same track. ppl keep giving money because they feel they are rewarded for doing so. while ALL of us are here because we hope and like the way the game is going now, by keeping as many ppl happy as possible they maximize their income while developing the game. everyone wins.

Bom likes this.
  3. Pagan

Pagan Avatar

I thought you could buy tax free lots in the store if you are already a citizen + level backer. The text in the add on store is pretty clear on this point and I bought a lot because of it. Am I misunderstanding something?
    Text is store, eg for town lot says:

Property Deeds purchased through the Add-On Store will have an in game currency tax that must be paid monthly or the lot reverts to being for sale and the Property Deed is returned to the owner. Backers at Citizen level and above receive a tax exempt Property Deed.

If the store add-on lot wasn't tax free to citizen + level backers then the second sentence wouldn't have been added.

Grayhawk likes this.
  4. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@Pagan
    As a citizen+ backer, you automatically receive one tax-free deed (good for claiming one plot of land) based on your backer level. Citizen, Edelmann, and Knight receive a Village deed, Lord receives a Town deed, Baron+ received a City deed. The deed received from your pledge is tax free.

Deed purchased in the add-on store are separate from your pledge and are not tax free. They are in addition to your pledge.

So for example, if you pledge at Citizen and purchase a village deed in the add-on store you have two village deeds, one is tax free, one is not.

Another example, if you pledge at Citizen and purchase a Town deed in the add-on store you have one tax-free village deed and one taxable Town lot.

I hope that made sense. Please reply if it didn't.

Mishri and Golem Dragon like this.
  5. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

Koldar, you beat me to the reply. :)

Koldar is 100% correct. Darkstarr even talks about this very thing in the very first post of this thread.

Turquois and Koldar like this.
  6. Pagan

Pagan Avatar

@ Koldar, Furius Farmer

Thanks for responding to my query.
    I am concerned that while you gents and Darkstarr are helping clarify the issue in the forum, the text in the store remains ambiguous. Store customers rely on store descriptions when making a purchase.
    I suggest that Portalarium revisit the text in the store and hope a refund option is introduced.

LoneStranger and Grayhawk like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

I think the text regarding the tax free lots to Citizen level backers and above was intended to say: you can buy this lot for a cheaper price but it is not tax free, but if you want a tax free one (along with other perks) you should pledge at the Citizen level or higher instead. But I can see how putting that clarification, or enticement really, can be confusing to imply Citizen level backers and higher who also purchase a lot directly would receive another tax free lot.

@Rustic Dragon, @FireLotus -- when the Store is next updated, perhaps the "tax-free" text can be further clarified? This still seems to be causing confusion.

Bom, Time Lord, Koldar and 1 other person like this.
  8. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

you cannot buy additional lots and make them tax free.
    Each backer get ONE deed tax free, all items bought via store has tax on them ingame.

As smack wrote, the text is there to make people consider going citizen+ instead of using the addon store.

Bom, Stahlknecht, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  9. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I think limiting Tax Free lots to one per account is good... while I would love a second lot to have next to mine for farming... I am content having one and letting another person work to get one... seems there are alot of really want one and are frustrated with those of us at higher pledge levels....

Time Lord, wagram, Koldar and 2 others like this.
  10. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

...who also have mostly one plot as well :)

Time Lord, Koldar and Golem Dragon like this.
  11. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

true dat... i figured if I really really really want that second lot... why not make it a challenge and work for it in game... no reason to tighten my budget in real life just to spite other players and get it at the start... challenges both combat and non-combat make a game fun... I'd like to think most of us feel that same way...

Time Lord, Koldar and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Exactly! Personally If I got a second plot I would give it off in a contest or something as a prize. I dont have that much money to "kill" though :p (wish I had)

13. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Thanks Umbrae and Mishri. I think thats a fair deal to all who pledged and supported the game from the first day of it's kickstarter announcement. We paid a lot of money and from my pov it makes sense that we can move to another location and upgrade without losing our tax free status. Thats a fair reward and good behaviour.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Another thing about tax free lots is that they said that they could be upgraded later on and remain tax free.

This is a good reason to up your pledge now. Once the game is released the game will be making money, but now they need the funds. Especially since they won't be hosting the server portion on our computers like they initially said. That means they could use the extra funds.

Pledging higher now, and buying a few of the prosperity items is helping out SotA become the game we want it to be. If you've already donated all you believe you can spare don't feel obligated, because you can still contribute your feedback and time, but if you feel like you have the cash or decide that instead of going to the movies every weekend maybe you could spend it on a Citizen Pledge upgrade instead because you will get more out of SotA then a few bad movies.... it might be worth it to get a tax free lot later on.

Think about it in terms of how much time you will get out of SotA compared to how long movies and going out to eat. If it's really a concern save up a few months, or cut back your spending habbits and start a payment plan now.

15. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Well said!!!! I upped my monthly payment so that I can hit a higher tier before launch, but I will still at least have my citizen level like I wanted in like a month or two.

Time Lord and Isaiah like this.
  16. smack

smack Avatar

...and what do you know. The description for Village Lots have now changed in the Store:

I added the highlighting: green shows updated text; red shows old text

Before:
    (NOTE: Village Lot Properties will not be exclusive to the Add-On Store, and may also be available in the game. Village Lot Property Deeds purchased through the Add-On Store will have an in game currency tax that must be paid monthly or the lot reverts to being for sale and the Lot Deed is returned to the owner. Backers at Citizen level and above receive a tax exempt Lot Deed. All lot deeds are transferable between players. First priority will be given to backers for lot choice. The order will be determined by amount of pledge. Backers will be given an exclusive window to choose their lots. Each backer can choose exactly one lot during the window. The next window will be given to those who purchase lots from the Add On Store. After that window lot choice will be open to all players )

After:
    (NOTE: Village Lot Properties will not be exclusive to the Add-On Store, and may also be available in the game. Village Lot Property Deeds purchased through the Add-On Store will have an in-game currency tax that must be paid monthly or the lot reverts to being for sale and the Lot Deed is returned to the owner. Backers at Citizen level and above receive a tax exempt Lot Deed as a pledge reward. All lot deeds are transferable between players. See the FAQ for Lot Selection Priority.)

So does that added text of "...as a pledge reward" clear this up?

...however, they didn't change the description for the Town or City Lots to add that same clarification. At least not yet...maybe they're working on it.

17. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I don't think so. I think it should say:

"Backers at Citizen level and above already receive a tax exempt Lot Deed as a pledge reward."

I do like that they removed some of the priorty bs out of the addon store and into the FAQ. Having it in one place makes it easier to change without straggler statements that could be confusing.

Bom and Time Lord like this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That looks very clear, and basically resolves the thread.

19. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

I am in the crowd that a tax free deed is a very special item that should be as it was originally intended, a rare early backer reward with great value. It's value should be protected and not undermined by developers looking to make the game a financial success. Especially if that is done at the players expense! :(

20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Wow. Holy smoke what a necromancer. I can feel the tingling of undead in the air.

Also quite a funny read as a memento of the past.
    Upgrading deeds is now a fact through the bundle store for instance.

Bom, Baalice, Katrina Bekers and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.