The dev quotes I hope I never hear again.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Jul 10, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'd say this is a risk vs. reward balance.

The PVP control point is a short cut, there would be other routes to the same place it would just take twice as long to get there. Want the short cut? Control the PVP area. Don't want to PVP? Go for a walk.

PVE guilds and groups could also hire PVP players to go take over the control point for them. Seems reasonable to me.

2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Ahhh.. OK. I understand.o_O

Time Lord likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh I am so with you on quotea that frazzle the nerves :eek::mad::rolleyes: Hearing things like Not Until Episode 2 on things that perhaps could make or break this game not having them in at launch omg. I am concerned with some of this sometimes although many times I say to myself ' No or not yet is an opportunity to rally for it more'. **sighs and rolls up sleeves**.

Also I have been reflecting on the massiveness of this game even at this point. Why in the world was the decision to operate on a low budget ever considered and implemented? OMG there were too many people going to be interested in following Richard Garriott to make us struggle in this way.

Another couple of quotes I hear way toooo much for my liking is 'We are a small team and on a low budget so no'. We did not ask for this when we signed on. We wanted a full featured, able to handle all our great ideas type of game that could happen.

Oooooh this is about pvp mostly ;) I started my little bit of a rant regarding my own disappointment in trying to get things in game that we each think will make a difference.

Regarding pvp or anything, I really don't think tweaking is the complete answer either like move a mob add a mob take away a mob, add a xp bonus ect and on and on. The structure of some of our systems do not promote fun play. Taking away or adding does not address that the system is not fully fun for people.

For example fishing, I know I know it is fishing ;), anyway so it gets implemented in the very measly meager form and most of all it stays that way for soooooooo long. What it will take to make fishing fun is pretty massive imo. They need to implement different types of fish and fish lore all over the world for one thing. And on top of that they need to get different bait types, and figure out how people get them and where, and wait do we want to fish up interesting loot omg of course, and do we want more fishing animations like your pole bends and you might hit the space bar for a 'reel the fish in chance'.

So imagine with every system that still needs work, and regarding fishing it needs a lot more than I mentioned, and are they even thinking about it or have a piece a paper with a note about ideas for it and how to implement it all, nooooo I have not heard they do, and it just gets pushed out.

So PvP, fishing, and agriculture are really requested features in this game and yet the solutions are pushed out. I don't have the answers for Pvp either but it is getting a bit late to push out some decent fun filled systems before release. We definitely need some focus groups instead of a great idea here and there that gets lost in a zillion of complaints.

oops edited to say 'not having'

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

And yet.. there aren't enough active players to support the PvP you want. No amount of 'fixing' is going to 'fix' PvP without the player base to support it.

Never known many PvPers who required a reason to PvP.. One might ask the question.. Why do you want to PvP so badly?

Do you assume that there are enough PvPers right now with as many PvP zones as we have to provide sufficient risk 24/7 to remove all mobs? You know what would happen right? Either 1: Too many people would be harvesting without risk.. or 2: Harvesters still won't go there... and in truth.. those who wish to avoid PvP probably still won't go there anyway. So all you're really doing is giving PvPers virtually risk free resources until there are enough PvPers to fill all those zones 24/7... See Quote #1.

See Quote #1.. until then we're just speculating. Though I'm of the opinion that the PvP zone approach is never going to be very effective so long as the outcome of battles serve no real purpose.

There's more than one way to look at this. Mechanics could be balance perfectly.. but player A is rarely equal to player B. Player A could be on super high speed internet while Player B has a crappy connection. Player B may play many hours while Player A is a newbie etc.. All depends on what you mean by 'balanced'

Miracle Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

@Bowen Bloodgood
    There are a lot of semantic arguments I'm not going to respond to.

One thing I will say however is this...
    When we started developing this game we had zero players playing it that could support PVP. But that hardly seemed like a reason not to develop a good game until we had players.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its nto lasting, when i fight the deamon i use thgem when he knocks me down and i get right back up

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

hmm So you're saying we had zero PvPers amongst all the original backers? You make it sound like PvP was the only reason to develop the game at all.

8. Drocis the Devious

That's not a counter, it's a way to remove a few seconds from being knocked down. You might as well be jumping. The effect is not countered, it's just slightly, maybe, better than if you didn't do it.

I would not be surprised if when Chris returns from his vacation he says that is either not intentional or not actually doing what you think it is. Why would smelling salts impact if you've been tripped or not? Weird.

9. Drocis the Devious

No, I'm not saying that. I'm not sure what led you to believe I was saying that.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I agree. But the global counter to all CC effects is suppsoed to be the built up resistance, but it doesnt seem to work well. If it did, then the consumables that wake you up would be great.

Having "Cure Poison" potions provide a limited time poison resistance after consumption would be pretty good too, Poison seems to be soemthing that truely has not way to mitigate it atm. And as far as poison from players goes, its VERY strong, and the only thing you can do is try to heal through it or kill them first.

Miracle Dragon, Time Lord and Numa like this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

Does the Purify spell work against poison effects? It was useful for me when I got gassed by hallucinogenic mushrooms in the swamp areas but I'm not sure if it works against other debuffs.

Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The only way there could be "zero players" that could support PvP would be there being zero PvPers when development started. "But that hardly seemed like reason not to develop a good game" sounds like there wasn't any other reason to develop the game. There were/are plenty of reasons to develop the game.

FrostII and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

I like this idea.

Just to add a twist, when PvP players win control over a control point I would like to see smuggler NPCs spawn at the beginning of the entrance offering to smuggle people over the other side. This way PvP chokepoint control would actually provide a benefit even for non-PvP players.

I used to run through Cooper's Pass to get to Soltown and Ardoris - an option no longer available to me now that there are two Trolls stalking that pass. Would gladly pay a fee if I'm in a hurry rather than going the long way around or running the PvP gauntlet ( which I am absolutely *not* prepared for right now).

Make the fee relatively expensive so that disciplined PvP factions can underbid the smugglers and allow players to pass through safely - for a fee.

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, here's the deal...
    Somewhere between 80 and 90% of backers would find this scenario to be absolutely unacceptable.
    PvP''rs can NEVER control passage between ANY two points.
    Assigning PvP control over "Control Points" would be the immediate death of SotA.
    And you're welcome to quote me on that, should your vision of control points ever come to pass........ ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I have she say as someone who enjoyed doing some PVE control points that I didn't mind after thinking about it that PGE groups could control the passes. It would give PVP content and it would keep the passes free or if PVP were fighting over them the mobs would not be after people passing through as much. So just some thoughts that I had on changing up the control points. There are other things for groups to do now with more coming all the time so control points don't have to be for the PVE players any longer.

It is worth it if it gives PVP a reason and an area to battle for and hopefully there are perks and rewards for holding it a certain amount of time or whatever is thought up in regards to this. It could even say on the map this area is controlled by such-and-such Guild. It doesn't necessarily have to hurt the low level pve players traveling through since guilds trying to control would keep the creatures occupied.. If it was designed well the way it would function then I see it could be a welcome addition to the game since so many PVP ideas have been discarded lately perhaps some work could be done on something like this;)

sorry edited since I typed this on my my phone likes to change up what I say. ;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Time Lord and Numa like this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

So, give the control points to PvP ?
    An area to do battle?
    PvP can take place anywhere....... And that isn't good enough.

I think this conversation is going to go nowhere.

Control Points can never be PvP controlled.
    Period.
    Not if SotA will continue to be funded......
    You can quote me on that one too. ;)

Senash Kasigal and Time Lord like this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You feel strongly about this I can hear. It was just thoughts I had. We have a limited amount of time to get to some decent place in this game before it releases at the end of the year or beginning of 2018, so for me I find that I am open to suggestions on how we do this for the important features of this game that still are not fun as they are. If no one is open then we get no where. I was actually someone who had a lot of fun doing control points. I will gladly give it up as an area to claim and do battle over, perhaps oposing guilds have to pay taxes to go through, but non opposing guilds are not affected. I see it in games all the time. Black desert has guild owned territories through out their world and I have passed through these guild owned places oblivious to whatever dynamic in that game it affects. It never affected me that I knew of, but I don't know that game very well. I just went my merry way. I'm sure for the participants of BDO online competing in that way it meant something, just it did not to me. Well anyway it doesn't have to be control points but something fun for pvp as well and yes I know there are pvp areas, but it has to mean something. So whatever, it was just a thought.;) And that is a strong statement you make. I'm sure the game will continue to be funded even with some changes some don't care for. ;)

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If there are going to be PvP check points. Link them to the celestial cycle. Some phases are PvP some are not.

19. Numa

Numa Avatar

Good idea. And maybe tie the take-overability of the control points themselves to the celestial cycles - just like the siege cycles.

20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

You can cure poison effects but what he was talking about is that there are at least two types of poison that are on-hit effect instant damage rather than damage over time. It ignores armor and theres no known thing in game that resists poison dmg atm.

Miracle Dragon, Numa and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.