1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The Making of: City of Aerie

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by SorcerousSteve, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I love the new dock area! Very nice. (again, want that for my POT :) )

2. smack

smack Avatar

Awesome, thanks for the update! It's looking more and more filled out. Now just need to fill it with NPCs to make it alive! Also, would like to see the less affluent areas to be less pristine, more junk and stuff in the streets and grass and whatnot.

Regarding the docks, will we see ships sailing in and out of them? Would love to see the dockworkers loading/unloading equipment and moving them about between the shops in the town.

Also, it's said this is a central hub of commerce and trade, but are there any cultural or entertainment buildings, aside from just stalls and shops? I know there's a tavern but anything else?

Will there be enough NPC buildings to house upwards of 100 NPCs that live in Aerie (based on Lum's thread)?

3. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I really like the lay out and the Castle, but are all the cities going to be in clap board and brown colors? Are there not going to be any cities with different color schemes? So far all the towns and cities have muted brown, greys, and tons of wood. I had hoped for elegant looking cities, or is Brittany going to be the only festive and grand city?:eek:

4. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

While this is a TOTAL Photo-Hack-Job (and a pretty bad one at that), if you want a glimpse of Aerie all at once, I kind of mashed the two images together.

[​IMG]

5. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

The castle and docks look good, the slums I understand looking pretty dreary, so that's very fitting. With the same npc building assets and the walls used in other cities though, they're just beginning to make any new city look like other ones already in game. It's hard to see the one section as affluent, aside from the castle because of the drab looking npc buildings, stone walkways, walls/fencing, and textures. It looks very similar to Owl's Head with all the same assets used. :( I appreciate all of your hard work, really I do, you're doing a good job, the assets part isn't your doing, so that part isn't on you I know. :) Do you know if there are more npc buildings, walls/fencing, stone, textures being worked on for future cities? I too have been looking forward to seeing some really beautiful, vibrant, cities to come online.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  6. Selene

Selene Avatar

Yay! New NPC town with a keep lot. *puts on her racing sneakers*

Seriously, though, it looks beautiful! Can't wait to explore it in game.

7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree, this looking great. I like the combination of imposing castle on the hill and the docks. Thanks for sharing!

Deliverence, Lord-Galiwyn and Leelu like this.
  8. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Heh. That's actually from a TOTAL photo hack job I sent Steve of an Aerie overhead map assembled from screenshots in the Unity editor. :)

9. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I really love the Aerie scene in-game. It's really nice. It feels a lot like how I was expecting Etceter or Kingsport to be. Aerie, I was envisioning as some what up on cliffs, above the water, aloft in the air, with hills. I'm not sure where I got that vision stuck in my head, other than the obvious connection to 'air' in the name.

Anyhow, this is certainly an enjoyable scene, and I look forward to continued improvement and development of all the scenes as the game progresses in development. :D

10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Aerie is huge!

Got a chance to explore today (and get lost several times). Really well done, a lot to explore. Looking forward to seeing the polish over time. :)

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

The ballistas, trebuchets, etc. need to work ! Also the cannons on the ships !

Just like firing the canons on LB's castle on random passerbys.

12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Great question!

13. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.