1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The Making of Verdantis Mines

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Sea-Wolf, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Yes. At least as much as it currently has.

Alana Baran, Womby, Net and 2 others like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Haven't spent a bit of time in Verdantis and expecting to need to spend a lot more, I'm really looking forward to this one. Not so much the elves though.. but still. :)

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, but it'll probably also have elite elven mages and archers to keep you from it.

4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Again it looks amazing, but "same amount of ore" in a zone so much bigger and spread out is a real bummer, considering you need hundreds of ores to do anything. Already non-crafters are floored by the amount of materials they need to gather for me to have a chance to craft them a single item - forget about with the stats they want!

5. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

should it be free?
    I don't like mining very much but tbh if nothing was guarding it I would never even set foot in a mine

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree it looks fantastic, but mining is not as it should be. I agree. In a normal mine before upgraded it takes most of your day to mine 200 ore. Don't the devs have the metrics to how long things take to do? And if you want to limit how much ore we get, I say find a reason to keep mining at a minimum. Whats the penalty, what's the reward?. To limit ore from the ore grinders is not the way. That only makes the game not fun for them. I don't buy that it's the economy. The reasonings not there imo.

Osiris3, Chatele, Net and 3 others like this.
  7. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I will "never", i mean... really, "never" mine in the new Serpent Spine Mines :D
    (Includes just any mine that will get much bigger but with the same ore nodes count as before.)

If all mines will be changed to low/ineffictive distribution of ore nodes i will just forget about mining completly.

Just saying for whoever cares, mining in Serpent Spine Mines currently is not only useless, but "extremly" annoying too.
    And with "extremly" i really mean "extremly".

Hope things change for a better fun-level for the miners.
    If not, this will be the first MMO like game i played the past 2 decades where i will not care about mining at all (and i have played a lot of MMOs so that means something).

Osiris3, Cordelayne, Chatele and 7 others like this.
  8. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

I'm about to drop a small fortune on ore as I don't like to spend all my day in a cave... so gotta say it's very much tied to balance of economy

also best way I know of to make cash is to sell ore but I'm no expert on the matter just my 2 cents

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well and your prices are going to go up if we can't get ore. From 200 ore in 2 hours to 16 ore hmmm and not your fault but everything needs to be looked at not just one opinion, just sayin. And I'm not trying to be right about it just bringing up a first days look at it. ;)

10. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

You probably are right
    will have to do some testing tonight, like I said I'm no expert on the matter ^^
    16 per hour sounds way too harsh I admit.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes spread out through a much larger area with a piece of ore only found here and there between all kinds of traps puzzles and creatures so who knows, we shall see;)

Chatele likes this.
  12. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

They should have more mining areas anyway since then people would not have to depend on just one for any kind of resource.

They should add lower level mines since getting in any of them takes a while to get good enough combat skills and stats to survive.

Chatele, K1000, Lord Baldrith and 2 others like this.
  13. Sea-Wolf

Sea-Wolf Avatar

Yes.

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Its not even about number of ores so much as concentration.

If you only want to put 50 or so nodes in the whole dungeon (current Verdantis clones have about 48 "spots" for ore, not counting gems) - that's fine. But at least cluster them together instead of having them just spread all over the place.
    I'd have no problem with: enter mine, fight a bunch of crap, ore room. Hallway, fight a bunch of crap, ore room. I can cope with that. Clear the mobs, get the shinies. Having them randomly attached to walls in a huge chamber with only 1 ore every 2 miles is not conducive to efficient mining or use of the player's time.

You guys really should consider also, making one of these mines low-level friendly. New players literally have nowhere to go to get ore, its like if you aren't adv level 80, you can't be a miner. I understand you have to put monsters in it as this helps ensure people aren't running scripts or whatever, and I understand the general philosophy is that anything to do with crafting must be financed by killing things - which includes material acquisition - but really, a nice, friendly mine that isn't a deathtrap for the new folks would be a welcome addition.

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't agree to mines having to be low level. We have to have things to strive for as every game does. There are places to get ore that are lower level just not in such concentration, like owlsnest, kings road, and encounters.;)

IMO this does not have to change. Advanced levels do give benefits but this game could do a way better job of acknowledging players for their efforts as in a really good achievement system to earn points or items to collect to make something, or who knows, but this is truly missing and then what we do matters less.

Although I so agree we needed the new user areas worked on very badly, we also need our quests and side quests, daily quests and achievements system worked on just as badly. We need to have a fishing competition quest to collect all kinds of fish, cook all kinds of fish. And not just in new areas, in all areas of the game.

So changing that the mines are high level solves nothing except to allow everyone to have it right now. Where is the need to be resourceful then? ;) Ok my opinion of course. It took me two years real life to get a house in Ultima online and I loved the game in spite of it. We need that kind of love for this game with systems the reward and acknowledge players so it is challenging and fun for them. ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  16. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

I think Richard, Chris and Starr should go out and try to create a whole set of Meteoric Augmented or Epic Plate. And they can only get the ore by going out and mining it. No using what they have on hand and no buying it. Only then will they feel your pain.
    @Chris @DarkStarr @Lord British

17. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

I have mentioned this issue during one of the telethons and Lord British stated this is the way he wants things to be and not everyone should be in meteoric / epic plate with high bonus added to them. Chris stated he believes he spends more time mining that a large majority of the people who play the game.

I currently spend at least an hour per day average during the weeks with another 7-8 hours on weekends mining to now stock ore so I can start working on blacksmith skills again. It is a LONG grind to make one suit of armor that can be +1 on creation and I am at 26% chance to make an exceptional piece. GM Smith, Mining, Enchant, etc.. :)

Chatele and Brent Sasz like this.
  18. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I think we just need more people playing... if 1 person out of 10000 get 200 ore in two hours, and the ratio stays that way prices will be high.
    but if 100 people out of 10000 get 2 ore in 2 mins and sell it... prices should drop. Anyone mining knows you can get 10 to 30 ore in about 15mins. Then you have to wait for respawns. If you have a lot of people grabbing that amount and selling... no reason prices should remain high.

So go recruit players.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If course not. You'll note that I said "elite" mages and archers. Resource security boosted!

20. Net

Net Avatar

The Verdantis mines looks great, but I have to state my biggeest problem with mining so far... it is damn hard for anyone that is not high level. The mobs are respawning before I finish mining, the archeers are really tough, undead (especially ghosts and liches) are supper resilient to magic. Another issue is that mines are quite small for parties, the resources are scarce and respawn slowly, it is so much more efficient to solo your mine when you have high level than to team up with someone lower level, and even at group of lower level characters you mine everything quickly but fighting takes forever.

And the real issue with mining is that mining itself is boring, it is doubleclicking and watching progress bar and praying that no mob respawns and interrupts especially when you get that rare meticulous collection. And so slow unless you use obsidian potion. I get that some people enjoy fight, but I enjoy exploring and gathering...it is fun and has some mechanic that keeps me engaged. Watching progress bars is not that though, I want mining to be active process, not a passive one. Combat at least requires bit of my attention, I wish gathering (and crafting) was engaging too, some sort of puzzle or minigame, wherre you could make things faster and with higher yields if you paid attention and engaged with the game. Hit the node where it yields more stuff and timed your swings for faster work... Something like that. Something active.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.