Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The Sword is Mightier than the Fizzle!

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

its all dependent on whether ice arrow works or not, if it does 'yes', if it doesnt't 'no'

I have not tested this release at all.

2. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Okay I'll admit magic is more complicated than using a sword (or other sharp weapons) but you have to learn how to properly use a sword as well. Just swinging it at random isn't going to cut it especially if your opponent has been trained.

To be a good melee warrior takes practice, discipline, and reflexes.

Moonshadow and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There's two main schools of thought I find in regards to "learning".. Some people want the skill/knowledge to be in the hands of the player. Others the skill/knowledge can reside with the character.

In many cases you might want a hybrid of both. I've always wanted magic to be special. It should feel special. Mages.. some might think.. should do mage/scholarly-like things to earn their knowledge.

That may indeed be cool.. but how would you do it that it wouldn't be tedious? One could argue that the character does the work in their own time so the player can focus on other things.

I don't want earning that knowledge/power to be a chore.. but I do think it could be interesting and there should be benefits if the player wants to play a scholarly mage. The big question is.. what could the mage do? and what benefits where there be to doing it?

4. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

For all we know since the Shardfalls people might just wake up with the ability launch ice arrows ;)

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That.. really wouldn't be interesting I don't think.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Oh yeah, before I forget. The mage can't be using crystal shield either. That's going to be the favored exploit of R14. It's an auto heal spell that works while running and requires no reagents.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

I haven't used crystal shield? I assume you're talking about the out-of-combat healing?

I expect auto-healing to be slower in the final game, plus affected by nutrition. Plus they could always force a mage who has crystal shield into combat mode.

8. Drocis the Devious

You can use crystal shield in combat, it heals 25 points of health per cast. It's like a shield and a healing spell in one. It was thrown in at the last minute. It's fine, not a big deal, but for R14 it will dominate pvp and pve.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Checking... It's a third tier spell, why didn't they give it reagent requirements like other third tier spells?

10. Drocis the Devious

It's bugged, redfish. It was thrown into the release at the last minute. They just overlooked it. Next Release I'm sure they'll fix it up.

11. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

but if it is balanced right, and with that specialization (skill points used for this specific purpose, I'd presume), it could be useful for SOME spells..

but i do think that using some more reagents to add, so you CAN focus through your chain mail, but can't cast in plate, maybe, would help.. cause plate, in my opinion should inherently block the magic.

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

What the actual umm heck? almost nobody used melee for an entire release due to the fact that you get instakilled by mages, a good mage still owns but not at level 5-30. The increase to blades looks like it may have balanced it a little but the only thing that really favours melee is encumbrance XD

Moonshadow likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Again, show me the video. I think what you're calling a mage and what I'm calling a mage are two different things.

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Full cloth, staff.. casting lighting bolts and death magic.. melee usually would not even get a hit in. i cant make a vid now since i am different spec XD

15. Drocis the Devious

You're talking about the stun effect?

I find that hard to believe for R13. Surely there's a pvp tournament video that shows this?

What level were we talking about?

Really I don't even care, if that's how magic is going to work it's not really my thing. It sometimes seems like combat is doomed to be nothing more than what it is now.

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Man in r12 i was melee and there was only like 3 people that gave me trouble, r13 i had to switch to mage to even be in the running for being competitive. Lightning bolt and death touch was a near unbeatable combination. A stacked death touch could regain half your health with a crit even at level 70+ while at the same time dropping your opponents health. Mages were even standing toe to toe with melee in some cases laughing. This time i have gone back to melee to see if it is viable again.

Moonshadow likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

I've never been over mid 30's in levels. But I haven't heard this story before.

18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Almost NONE of the pvp'ers were melee last release, every single one was mage, or mage hybrid XD the few that were were basicly free kills.

19. Drocis the Devious

That must have been true more towards the end of the release. Interesting though.

20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

there was also the fact that you could max int and immolate and burn an entire zone to power level heh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.