Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Themo: end of release feedback

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Themo Lock, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I love the argument that people can't have an opinion about anything unless they've grinded out enough levels first. Of course if you grind out enough levels then I assume you can't have an opinion that it's too hard to grind out levels!

It's a very self-sustaining argument that explains why everything is balanced and fun (no changes needed!).

I had a lot of time to grind over the last few months but I hit a wall. The moment my 4x modifier went away I just couldn't do it anymore. It was already boring, but that just made it 4 times more boring. I totally agree that being level 100 something is probably all the rage, you can PVE Dragons, be flagged open pvp anywhere and not be concerned about the ganking mechanics. You can PVP anyone in the game, you can roleplay, go to events because you've already hit the grinding sweet spot.

I just can't get to that level of "fun" inside of three months. Personally, I think that says a lot about the game we have right now. I hope we get our act together before launch though, because I won't be happy when I'm right later.

2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

After wipe, we should all refrain from posting in the forums until we all grind to level 50 :p

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, that would be very helpful. Then a handful of people can tell each other how balanced everything is. It will be just like a combat scrum.

4. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

I never said grinding, I said play. Since i plan on getting proof of how lacking the xp gain is without AOE killing or Group killing (one of the flaws i perceive in current state of the game), I'll end once again gated in a 3skull level zone if that is still an issue. If i really play enough and there's enough Q left, maybe i'll ask out for help so after that i'm able to overcome the flaws of the current state of the game to enjoy more content and test many other things... but first i plan on fighting the big guys at whatever level i have, and compare innates value to see how much of a difference they pose.

I never said fun, but i implied test. To be precise i said
    The fact that figuring out wether i'm right or wrong amuses me is unrelated :p

I never said anyone that people can't have an opinion if they haven't played. I've got mine, i'm quite fond of it and not afraid to post according to it, and i'm sure that from all the time Steam says i've been playing the game, half of it i've been AFK doing something else :p. What i implied is that the instant impact our opinions may have is mostly based on the strength of our arguments (among other things), and when talking about simulations, nothing is stronger than data based on real measurement and experience. Opinions can (and should) be considered, but when they're tainted with personal attacks they're usually disregarded (unless you're doing politics, in politics it seems to be the best).

And what i'm pretty sure that i've never ever said is that this game doesn't need any change. In fact I think it needs so many changes to reach its full potential sometimes i need to remind myself that i really do like some of the things that are in the game, and why i'm here, and why i contributed with what, for me, is an insane amount of cash. Mostly because of potential, and the hope of it reaching that potential. And part of my biased opinion is that my personal ideas are something that could improve greatly the fun of this game.

So what's the difference here? you blame the powergamers for saying stuff, stating that what they said was wrong. I don't know or care if they said it or what they said, because i'm willing to prove that i'm right.

5. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Closing thread for review

6. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I've gone through and cleaned the thread. Please respect the forum rules. This will be reopened for now.

7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Good report, Themo.

I'm interesting in knowing from the high level rangers how many arrows needed to be purchased or fabricated to hit GM in multiple archery skills.

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Margaritte may have kept track of that, i think Athanil and Kazyn keep track of ranger logistics also.

9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I must need bifocals. Its really getting that bad. I corrected the spelling of your name.

10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

for the first few months, i thought your name was Thermos Lock - i only logged in after a VERY long day of work staring at screens.. then i took a personal day and slept...

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Common mistake don't worry heh. Am hoping to hear from more people in answer to Chris's question about the speed at which passive leveled and if people thought they raised too slow or too fast ect

12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

as a VERYcasual player this release i on the emotional level i think my passives leveled almost right, at the low levels i'm at. i think even for less casual players the early (first 15ish or so) levels should go quicklyu anyway. - emotionally it was fun seeing them ding like that, and i'd like to see them slow down after a few levels so i work harder at them and may just become less "VERY" in the casual department..yknow, entice me to play by "being competitive by myself" if that makes any sense.

for the active skills, i had to push myself to work on them, which is a good thing - longterm after final wipe, the 1-10 was too fast, short term wipe-to-wipe, just fast enough to get an idea of how it is to be, beyond that. i'd also like the active skills to be more and more difficult as they get more and more levels per skill (looking at individual skills).

i'd like to see someone working hard like you, to take 10+ months to grandmaster something, and i'd like to see someone casual like me take much much longer to do so.

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

cuz it is Must Have

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think it's more that they dont want to be forced to halt thier advance so everyone else can catch up at their liesure. More time in-game should = faster progression

15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

okok... that one kind of is unless you are a deathmage :p

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im holding off until i see food changes, and see if potions get love. Think potions should be able to keep up with a low-mid level healing touch for a financial cost, so that its better to levle up and get good at healing touch, but its not wildly inefficient to use potiosn as an alernative

Oba Evesor and Themo Lock like this.
  17. agra

agra Avatar

I might be convinced (might be) if effects were scaled to be significantly higher with higher skill level, but as far as I can tell, they're linear. That... doesn't make the grind so appealing. What I mean by that is, it's not that much of an achievement to get that 0.1s more duration or 0.1 more effect on something that has granted 0.1 per skill level from 1-90, and then another 0.1 to 91, and so on.

Put another way, proportional effect increases should match XP required to reach them, rather than a logarithmic/exponential increase in required XP, with only a linear scale for effect increase. (IMHO)

18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

that sounds more than reasonable @agra - maybe not so much as showing a mini-nuke when throwing a fireball at the top tier, but close in effectiveness.....but wouldn't it be cool to see that mushroom cloud on impact? lol
    i consider it to be risk/reward where you risked your time effort and sanity to get that high in that skill, so your reward should be a cloud that makes you giggle whenever you see it. :)

DeadSpider and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  19. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

/agree

@Chris

Skills should be OFF by default and when you train a new one, a confirmation should pop to ask something like, "Would you like to immediately have this skill begin training?" (Options: Y/N/More information/Don't show this again)

Yes - turns training ON
    No - leaves training in default state (OFF)
    More Information - presents brief blurb about how skill training works and perhaps a link to the wiki for more details.
    Checkbox: Don't show this again (enabled = turn off on.train messaging, disabled = continue to present message when new skill trained)

This covers system status advisory, implies/informs user that they have choices, offers access to details to support making a choice, avoids errors, allows for graceful recovery, and permits user to opt out of help messaging on this item in future.

(edit to correct typos and then to add the following information for reference purposes...:

Jakob Neilsen (father of usability in the context of computing/web, etc) has a very solid sight with helpful information on things like this... but all you really NEED to know is the basic heuristics; if you keep those in mind and let them drive how you handle response to the player, it's really quite difficult to go wrong:

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/ten-usability-heuristics/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.