Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

These are all posts about Exp, Skill Gains . .

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Weins201, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

@Chris, @DarkStarr

Look these are all posta by player NOT understanding what is going on with Exp or Skill Gains.

Or they don't like it.

I have referred them all to player generated resources for information but this clearly shows a disconnect.

More to the players who want to just log in and play . . . . .

But clearly shows why something needs to be done when players enter the game.

ALSO when are you going to stop hand holding us and let us feel the real pain that is coming when the game launches with no 4x either way . . . Going to NOT go over very well.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/player-created-resources.486/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-player-experience.47361/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-player-experience.47361/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/skill-and-xp-gains.47106/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-xp-delay-final-wipe.47133/page-3#post-520843
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...y-understanding-of-the-experience-pool.47157/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/xp-ui-question.47146/

And these are just are just in R27 feedback there are more in other places.

Jivalax Azon, FrostII and Bow Vale like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

3. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

It would be nice if some of these guides were reviewed for an actual sticky post, so newer players didn't have to dig around hunting. It would also help if the FAQ on the website pointed to the player resources area, just to help guide them as Weins pointed out.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

. As long as there are wipes, i think the 4x multiplier is neccessary fortesting because of short, limited time frames.

5. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Actually no ... if they got rid of levels .... xp would become irrelevant.... the Fact that this is still a level based game is poison we are all still suffering from.

Spoon likes this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I agree we need to test skills but the 4x does not allow for tha since players lose interest -

We would be much better at testing if we had the ability to max out say 15 - 20 skills and change easily.

Alos as I have show by the sheer number of posts with confusion / dislike - the 4x needs, NEEDS to go away s players can see what it will actually belike not handed what we have now.

ATM when the game launches we will have 50% of the player base complaining and prob 20% just quitting because they don't like how skill gain goes.

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The XP isnt just for levels, its a intuitive failsafe for use based skill gain

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I noticed the 4x is acting like rested experience now. When that goes away after playing for a few minuites, what rate of exp gain and skill gain is left?

9. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I'd like to see an academy, university, man at arms, training facility, etc in some of the towns that explains the skill system a bit, to put new players on the right track. Perhaps it could be explained through lore and some literal explanation without giving away too much of the skill system mechanics. "...and if you have time, go see the scholars in the academy, they can impart important instruction that will help you survive in this world.." etc

Also I'd like to see books, papers, scrolls, etc that give bonuses to adventurer and crafting xp. Like a lost manuscript or something that gives players some insight and by reading it they progress in the skill system in some way.

zyxe likes this.
  10. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Im not seeing that much dislike for the system myself but you both have a lot more contact with folk on this and read a bit more as shown by the links so if you are saying that is the case then i accept that. Confusion yes!
    After reading your posts about it and playing around with it, i am actually quite comftable with it all now and actually am quite impressed with it. I hope the whole game is innovative like they are trying here, even the card combat I'm liking now.
    The 4x stuff...I understand you... and there needs to be more transparcnsy with skills and extra benefit for raising above a nominal value and what all the numbers actually mean. Needs a bit of fleshing out in short, but anyway i do like it.

I think for the last few weeks before the final wipe they should just give us loads/unlimited SP to stick where we want to test stuff and see the effects.

EMPstrike and FrostII like this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

TY

Exactly my point all the "complaints" could have been easily handled had players utilized some of the information out there :)

EMPstrike, Bow Vale and FrostII like this.
  12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I'm extremely curious to see what you would propose as substitute for levels, while still having a progression of the development of your character going from so-weak-even-rats-scare-him to headbutting-dragons-for-fun-just-because.

Levels are nasty, evil, poisonous, so 1985, and all this crap.

Show a good, working alternative.

Sean Silverfoot and Aldo like this.
  13. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

You played UO right ?

There is your alternative.... Perfect model of how levels can be irrelevant.

GraveDncer likes this.
  14. Katrina Bekers

So skill-only progression?

Ok, I see you're from the macro-everything bot factory.

Everything explained. Thanks for your answer.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

O U C H , and I get spanked at least once a day on the boards :oops:

16. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

wow that takes it to an extreme ....
    And also how is that much different than the gust ball scene we have now ?

I am not saying XP is bad and how the xp is used to move skills around... I am saying the lack of a skill cap and the dependence of levels in this game are a poison. a plague rotting away at this game. Something that could be truly great bringing the spirit of Richard Garrets greatest creation to new level.

honestly speaking the means that they have developed XP to be a moving force for characters through action is well done .... Now all they need to do is introduce a level cap or skill cap. There is a reason why even after EA got their hands on UO that it still is around today. EA is the devil but even their taint can't kill the model that Richard Garrett put together back then. The fact that it is still there is testament attributing to how i am right.

17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Already done there will NEVER bee a hard Cap but good luck trying to maintain a few skills at 120.

The system they have to manage skills at that level is VERY effective, and will prove even more so when they turn off all the 4x stuff.

Oh the H O R R O R

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

UO was different but not better. Perhaps you could explain how the underlying levels actually make it worse.

19. Katrina Bekers

That removing a single item, or changing its features (like Weins suggested countless times!) is a one-shot trivial code change.

Re-developing, for the third time, the entire character progression mechanics, not so much.

I politely remind you that we once had only levels and skill points to be assigned to skills, and only in R21 (i.e. 21 months into active development) we had use-based individual skill progression, basically revolutionizing anything done since then.

But critically differently from UO, without an hard cap - by design.

Also, I see you're one of the UO old timers unable to accept the hard fact that EA never "got their hands on" UO. EA produced UO straight away.

How many times already I have to remind everyone that Ultima Online was an EA game from day 0, since EA bought out Origin Systems on 4th september 1992, and since then Origin was a WHOLLY OWNED SUBSIDIARY of Electronic Arts, and Ultima Online was released in 1997, five freaking full years AFTER the complete acquisition of the development studio?

How many times? Just tell me, and I'll prepare a macro (pun intended) to raise my StatingTheFactsRight skill to GM overnight.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  20. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

the underlining levels associated with the combat formula's are really a huge problem for this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.