Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

These are all posts about Exp, Skill Gains . .

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Weins201, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Lets put this into a very real perspective.

1. Nearly 100% of new players join as a trial.
    2. 98% of new players have not built relations with other players and will not for a least a few days after deciding the game is worth playing.
    3. Most players quit new games in 30 minites or less. I believe the vase majority will quit in 2 hours because that is the refund period.

Hence 0.000000000000001% are going onto TeamSpeak for hand holding explanations prior to committing.

If we are satisfied with a UI it takes an expert to use, we might as well just quit because there wont be anyone else to play with. Raise that bar!

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Perfect example as to why I made this thread so players are pushed in a direction to see what is needed BEFORE they jump in.

Those that don't "read the instructions" will do exactly what you are saying, and I want to head that off.

Hence why I said to the development team to push players to the tutorial, instructions, walk thrus . . . .

Doesn't really need to fix the system just the lead in.

GraveDncer and FrostII like this.
  3. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

All of your points are valid, but I'm just saying that a decent short tutorial, and good tool tips will go a long way to clear up the issues easing the path for the new folks.

I would hate to see them just "revamp" another games system for simplicitys sake. I like the feel and originality of what we have, it feels old school and I likes it.

Tahru, Weins201 and FrostII like this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Agreed, it is possible. But I don't believe it will take much to make more intuitive. I am not suggesting changes to the mechanics, just the presentation. It is sad, but people don't read. A good UI design does not need tool tips or documentation.

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I believe we have a very good design.
    The current design gives us a great many choices in whatever we'd like to do, not the least of which is our skill system.
    If a good UI, as you say:
    then how would you give us the wonderful choices that we currently have and the ability to fine-tune our chosen template, and at the same time, make it simpler ?

Please enlighten us.........

Oba Evesor likes this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't think you can make a tutorial for the skill system that any new comer would watch. It is too complicated. This is about a simple as I can describe it.

1. Skills are "eligible" to increase levels on use, but...
    a. You can chose not to train skills while still using them in the skills panel.
    b. You cannot choose when or which skills to train without turning all but one off.
    c. Skills will only train when the adventurer experience pool has enough points.
    2. Your experience bar is not and experience bar, but an experience pool.
    a. You gain the pool by killing monsters, but it might look like it losing experience or not gaining because the pool is automatically being allocated to skills such that

exp gain from a monster = (delta adv exp) + the sum of all the deltas of all skills gained + voodoo

Ridiculous
    I already did above there with the image. It does not change any mechanics, and remains use based. It is much better than what we have and gives the user complete control over tuning. To put is in the simplest terms,

1. Stop auto-leveling skills, but keep the ability to chose which ones to level like it is.
    2. Provide new UI window (next to skills window) that reveals all skills that are eligible for leveling (i.e. used enough) with a button to level it.
    3. Ditch the adv exp pool in the UI. It has no importance to normal game play and is misleading at best.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Done with this sorry not worth my effort you have your mind set and want to play a different game go have fun Peace OUT.

8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

They say you can boil a frog in a pot without him jumping out if you increase the temperature gradually. Most of us are frogs, myself included, because we have been around long enough to watch and learn each change. In pieces, they don't seem like a big deal. I am sure that if most of us came at this game for the first time, we would not be so quick to say it is fine.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    argyle likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Having a proper fun tutorial for the starting area that helps a player learn the ropes, like fun quests and popups that say hey you might want to try x or y instead of long amounts of hints to read. Then they are prepared for the world. Also a bit of starter stuff at this point so they can have fun and play around. While in the starting area they learn a bit about crafting being give a few resources to try it and then ask for them to harvest more to make something else. It won't be so overwhelming if they get to try the system out before they leave the starting area. Including chat and how it works. There can always be the option to opt out of the tutorial at any time then continue to try to get out of the area on their own and into the real world. @Lum @DarkStarr

sorry I got off topic

Lord Baldrith and Spoon like this.
  10. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

While I agree, I also want something to gauge my progression, and - if done right - give me the goal of being able to tackle some challenge that yesterday was impossible (and I want impossible challenges!) and tomorrow will be doable (with "attention" as you call it), and the next day trivial (because, yes, I want to build my character so one day the sewer rat will be disintegrated if I look funny at it).

If you flatten EVERYTHING, you have a MOBA, where you have to start anew every round. Or a FPS, where there's no progression, and someone starting the Unreal Tournament match is exactly the same as everyone else, and by the end of the match, everything is back to square one again.

No, thanks.

I want to see my character improve, grow, have as goal to overcome challenges that at first seem too hard - because they are, or I'm not hardened enough.

Haz and Fister Magee like this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

You can get them high enough to participate in all the PvE content and be effective in PvP.

Its your repeated emphasis on the words "never" and "need" that are misleading and compelling me to correct it

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

You can use the deck system without it being random. Most of the i hate decks posts were before the changes to it

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Go to a skilled trainer to unlock skills. Using skills to defeat enemies will increase them.

As you use more skills and get them to higher levels, the advancment of all skills will gradually become slower.

There are also many quests you can do that will reward you With a small, brief boost to your skill gains.

If you wish to untrain a learned skill, open your skill window with the K button and locate the skill you wish to unlearn. Click the arrow next to the skill until it changes to two red arrows pointing down. Your skill will now drop, allowing the rest of your skills to train slightly quicker.

You may also halt a skills advancment without losing it by changing the arrow to the Orange up arrow, which will maintain the skill at that level. This will also slightly increase the speed of the rest of your skill gains slightly.

Any explentations beyond that i think should be considered advanced info

14. Shortina

Shortina Avatar

Yes, and I mentioned that to the guy I was grouped with. He still felt that even locked, it needed more slots to make him happy. Either way though, you are still directed to staring at your hot bar instead of the fight.

argyle likes this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Not any more so than a traditional hotbar. Once you learn your setup well, you dont hardly need to look at it anymore.

I find i was looking at the massive hotbar in WoW more than i lookat the hotbar in this game.

16. Shortina

Shortina Avatar

I actually do like to use the random decks to avoid cool downs, thus I am usually looking at my hot bar. As such, I do look at it way more than any other game I currently play. I may be doing something wrong of course. At any rate, I can still agree with the other players assessment while being okay with the system myself. It does take some getting used to. While I like complicated and I know there are write-ups on how to use it; not everyone has a lot of time to play and dig through forums for information. Maybe there is a way to help those newer players or others that want more depth to what they already have?

FrostII likes this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I assign 1 skill per slot usually, or if there's more skills i use than slots available, i group skills that do the same thing, like inner strength and strength of earth, or thrust and double slash, or knockback and knockdown, etc

Right now i have:

Offhand, offhand, moon beams, thrust, sprint, dodge, parry, animal charm, flurry and reckless stance grouped, and celestial blessing on my hotbar,

Bow Vale likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I just want to put out there that the experience pool bars at the bottom of the screen provide zero useful information. It's the tooltip that actually has the useful information. Therefore, I'd be perfectly fine with moving that information to the stats window (ctrl+v).

I will say, however, that if they remove the pooled experience bars then they need to provide a mechanism to make it easy to center the hotbar.

They should also organize the stats window into logical groups.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Fister Magee likes this.
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

the stat window will not be available after final wipe or launch as far as i know

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Really? Why? I sure hope you're mistaken about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.