To whom it may concern:

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cianna, Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

First of all, there wasn't any confusion as to if the content was player created or not.

When I said "it would need to be cataloged" I meant that if you write a book that is appropriate for kids and I write one that's not, there's no current way for Portalarium to know the difference unless they literally read both of them and catalog them as appropriate or not appropriate. If it's a small community, sure they might be able to do that. But a larger community over time, no way.

So that means that either we give up the freedom to write books or we come up with a better solution than you've proposed.

Womby and Leelu like this.
  2. Cianna

Cianna Avatar

@Berek, I'm assuming you guys can retrieve the book from the game, can you not? I don't particularly feel like describing to you the details of the book. Suffice it to say that it contains descriptions of a blow job and coitus. Is that enough upon which to base your decision?

Ice Queen, Leelu and Solazur like this.
  3. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Yes, we can obtain it and that is descriptive enough for here. I'm so sorry that you had this occur in-game :(.

Leelu likes this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Perhaps you could start a conversation with @Berek and provide him with the name of the book and the author. They should be able to retrieve the text from their database.

Womby and Leelu like this.
  5. Cianna

Cianna Avatar

Thank you.

Ice Queen and Leelu like this.
  6. Cianna

Cianna Avatar

Just did, thanks.

Ice Queen and Leelu like this.
  7. agra

agra Avatar

Having Portalarium review all player supplied content, and books in particular, will likely never happen. What about other languages? What about writing them in code? It's all a ridiculous waste of time.
    There is no faster, cheaper, or better solution than a visibility toggle for player created books, in this case.
    Block all player created books? [X]
    Done.
    And for the record, this has nothing to do with the freedom to write them. Write whatever you want, I just want the option, and to have it preferably be the default (like the chat text filter) to not see it.

8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I often wonder what your perfect (virtual) world would look like, @agra. What would be left IN it? (This is actually intended to be a serious question.)

9. agra

agra Avatar

A lot of toggle buttons. ;)

10. Selene

Selene Avatar

Yikes, to this whole thing! :(

Ice Queen, Dantuin, Leelu and 3 others like this.
  11. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I never post here, waiting for the game. I hope the offender is dealt with the harshness that sexually harassing another player deserves. There's no place in the game for this. I dont want rigid constraints on what books we can write, but sending this unsolicited should be reason for terminating an account.

Thanks OP for coming forward with this and reporting the offense to Portalarium. I'd hate to see another player go through something similar.

Also, thanks Berek for quickly addressing this issue.

There's no place in a game for someone who sexually harassed a player, regardless of how sorry or how invested they are.

Thanks again everyone. Now back to waiting and lurking.

12. EclipseMaiden

EclipseMaiden Avatar

Freedom of the Press just saying.

13. Cianna

Cianna Avatar

No freedom of the press is him writing a book and putting it somewhere where I can choose to look at it or not, buy it or not. Freedom of the press is not him putting sexually explicit work, unasked, in my space, where I or anyone else could find it. *Big* difference.

14. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

I must say I gotta agree here..... We got Brothels and all sorts of adult themed things planned once this game goes full out live.
    One of the things I fully expected to see was erotic books from our creative writers out there.

Down on Censorship!!!!

The book in question has been out for a week or more that I'm aware of got a copy as well for my collection.
    Several authors apparently have reprinted this as well.

And for the record I would support a rating system that authors can use to rate their writings PG, R, X etc.

Laz

15. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

In this day and age, everyone is offended by something. I am not saying what is right or wrong in these moral dilemmas but it would be easy to right click destroy item probably instead of promoting a censorship now that can snowball into something that stifles. Perhaps you should have just named him and we could have ridiculed him instead of now everyone grandstanding for censorship. Sorry that is my (less than) 2 cents worth. The world is not a perfect world nor should it be in my opinion.

margaritte likes this.
  16. EclipseMaiden

EclipseMaiden Avatar

was it in a "public" cache chest? or does the author have permissions on your lot im confused

GreyMouser2 and Ravicus Sales like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I wish more people were empathetic about something.

empathy: the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Coffee Pirate, Dantuin, Womby and 7 others like this.
  18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

OK I know what y'all are thinking and this wasn't me. I have an alibi. Several people at the orgy can vouch for me. :eek:

19. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

I can agree, and its true, but empathy can distort fact also. If you rely on feelings then murder could be justified. Empathy can be useful to understand, but it can also distort and be used to control and persecute.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  20. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

It's shocking to see a player reporting being sexually harassed and that harassment being defended as free speech.

Do whatever you will in your own space. I'm not policing anyone's right to chat in a sexually explicit way in game if they chose in a private setting. Exchange books with your lovers and friends.

That's not this. That's not what this is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.